How can I add oatmeal to my diet when I hate it?

Options

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Skip it if you really don't like it. It does disappear nicely in a smoothie if you blend it first. I hate sweet stuff in the AM so I make mine savory, when I have it. I get plain rolled oats. Cook just until barely cooked but still has some texture. (kind of like rice or quinoa) then I add salt. Boring. Or you can try carrot cake style, add shredded carrots raisins and cinnamon. You might want to try oat bran which has a firmer texture.

But here is my favorite:

Oat Flour Crepes (good with ham & cheese or sweet with jelly or even left over shredded bbq)

Ingredients:
    • 1 egg (not egg whites)
    • 1/2 cup oat flour (ground oats)
    • 1/2 cup almond milk or any dairy/non-dairy milk

Directions:
    1. Grind oats into a flour consistency using a food processor/blender
    2. Add egg and almond milk. Blend.
    3. Pour a thin layer onto a nonstick and/or greased pan.
    4. Carefully flip the crepe to cook the other side.
    5. Enjoy!
    Makes 4-5 medium sized crepes.

If you want you can add your sweetener of choice.
  • idaretodream
    Options
    I am not aware that oatmeal is a necessity, however if you are driven to eat them I have found a couple of good ways to eat them, however in saying that, I love me some oatmeal...sooo

You can add Chocolate protein powder and some PB2 or regular peanut butter and it tastes like the no bake cookies, but you have to have good protein powder for that taste. But really yummy.

I have mashed up fresh banana in them and they are good.

I much prefer old fashioned oats to quick oats in both texture and taste.

But remember no one says you MUST eat oatmeal, eat things you like or it is difficult to stick with an icky way of eating
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Don't eat what you hate. I wish I liked salmon. It's really good for you. But it tastes like salmon. So forget it. Oatmeal isn't magic. I like it well enough but I don't eat it often. Hasn't hurt me yet to not eat it much.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Try making oat groats like rice. If you still don't like them, stick to foods that you like.

Pam
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal gets eaten for breakfast at our house two ways: I cook "Old Fashioned Oats" (btw: a nearly TOTALLY different food than instant oatmeal) and add flavored yogurt to it. My 18 year old son makes plain instant oatmeal and adds chocolate protien powder and peanut butter - his is super thick. He says it tastes like eating an oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips and it sticks with him all day. The instant "plain" he uses is Nature;s Path Hot Oatmeal Flax Plus with Omega-3. I think it's pretty good just plain - slightly sweet. Good luck experimenting with different types of oatmeal!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Where did you get the idea oats have some unique health benefit? Eat what you like.

If it's the flavor you don't like, then cookies, granola, or muffins aren't going to be any better. But there are so many ways to have oats, that if it's just the texture you dislike, you should have no trouble finding other ways to eat them. Cheerios are oats, by the way.
  • Firefighter_Ray
    Firefighter_Ray Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make a oatmeal mocha thing that has really helped me like it.

1/2 cup oatmeal (1 serving) 150 calories
    1 tablespoon peanut butter 95 calories
    Dymatize Elite - Whey Protein Isolate Cafe Mocha, 1 scoop 117 calories

Total=362 calories, 34 carbs, 13 fat, 34 protein, 5 fiber, 3 sugar

If I can't finish it I put little balls of it on wax paper and then I have little no bake cookies later that I have already accounted for.
    Hope that helps.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Put your favorite fruit in it. That usually does the trick for me.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I gotta bump this one. The smoothie idea sounds wonderful, never thought of that. And the pancake idea! I've been making a cookie of sorts and they taste like oatmeal cookies. I like my oatmeal crunchy and not soggy. The only way I eat it soggy is with pumpkin puree or chocolate chips, so I'm trying to find crunchier methods myself.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal either, so I just don't eat it. By making my diet healthy, fiber-ful, well balanced and nutritious, my cholesterol has dropped over 125 pts in the past year. Who needs oatmeal?
  • BlowYourMind
    Options
    You don't have to eat oats if you don't like them, replace it with another high-fiber high-iron foods. If you must, get some with different flavors, there are options that are low in sugar and come with maple, apple, and cinnamon flavor. You could also add walnuts or fruit to it.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have tried oatmeal in the past using the instant flavored kind and couldn't stand it no matter how thick/thin I tried it but because of the health benefits I wanted to try again and so tried with regular oats today adding in chopped almonds, skim milk, and honey. Yep, still hate it :(

What is the best way (other than those yummy cookies!!) to get oats into my diet without making them mushy?? If you've hated oatmeal in the past but can eat it now how did you do it??
    I suppose you could take oatmeal like a person takes medicine.
    But why?
    I detest it as well and call it "puke-meal" - :grumble:

Life is to be lived, and if you just hate a certain food, don't eat it. There are too many good alternatives like Fiber 1, Quinoa, any kind of decent whole grain cereal like Grape Nuts or Nabisco Shredded Wheat...ect...Healthy alternatives could be another high fibre whole grain cereal, a big shake, meat/fish/cottage cheese + veg/fruit, eggs (omelette, poached, boiled, scrambled, whatever), PB on toast, protein pancakes, 'healthy' french toast, protein muffins/slices........ The list goes on.

Basically anything 'clean' that includes complex carbs, protein and fat makes a pretty good start to the day.

Eating should be a JOY!
    Even when we're dieting....lol
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine why you'd force yourself to eat them if you don't like them. Like someone else said, they aren't magic.

I'll NEVER eat cottage cheese, everyone swears it's healthy. I couldn't care less.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have tried oatmeal in the past using the instant flavored kind and couldn't stand it no matter how thick/thin I tried it but because of the health benefits I wanted to try again and so tried with regular oats today adding in chopped almonds, skim milk, and honey. Yep, still hate it :(

What is the best way (other than those yummy cookies!!) to get oats into my diet without making them mushy?? If you've hated oatmeal in the past but can eat it now how did you do it??

Thanks!

Forgive me for not understanding why oatmeal is crucial to your weightloss / diet. If you hate it, don't eat it! There are a lot of ways to get in fiber and carbs without suffering through something you hate.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup oat meal (uncooked) add 1/2 cup hot water, add chocolate hazelnut butter (or any nut butter really), a serving of protein powder, and granola, it gets the texture of raw dough, not cheap calorie wise but tasty and filling. I eat if for breakfast around 9 and generally don't get hungry again until 1-2
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Make some muffins. :smile:

Or add an egg and bake it like a cookie! :laugh:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you don't necessarily HAVE to eat it
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I put brown sugar in mine.
    Never liked them as a kid, ate a lot of cream of wheat though.
    I add them to my yogurt too.
    Maybe Cheerios would be a better "health" choice food?
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Make oatmeal cookies. Life's too short (and there are too many healthy foods out there) to eat s#** you hate.

Agreed!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I make bean burgers. Basically equal parts beans and rolled oats. You can add spices, herbs, onions or other veggies to the mix. Use non-stick (fat free) cooking spray instead of oil to grill them in a pan. The oats hold the beans together and they keep well all. week.

Yummy!! you smash it all together?