What a Creep!

Options
Just did my run...I was lapping around this block it is short only 0.5 of a kilometre...anyway I was nearing the end of my run (just an easy easy 3mile) and this van slowed right down and this old dude was staring at me...he then turned his van around and was following me staring at me...he then pulled into a driveway that was in front of me and got out and was watching me...like what a creep...it gets better...I can back around the block and he had his camera out and taking pictures at me...I was not happy at this point...came around for my last lap and he was still there waiting to take more pictures...so I ran right up to him...asked him if I could see the pictures he was like "oh yes they are good" I took the camera took out the SD memory card said thanks and ran away :) Ewww creepy old men....he must of liked my man tights ;)

Replies

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Well it's nice you didn't go to jail for that. :o)
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Did his van have "Free Candy" spray painted on the side?
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thats really creepy. I would've called the cops!!! lol
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Did his van have "Free Candy" spray painted on the side?

Someone beat me to it. Next time get the Licence plate numbers he's probably wanted.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You should report him to police and start carrying pepper spray! That is crazy!
  • Jamie145
    Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    WTFING F**k??? that is nasty..i wuda said some words and grabbed the card..thru the camera down stomped on it and ran home..THAT IS WAYYYY CREEPY next time i think u shud go a different route. lol yiikes.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yes, hes a creeper. However, you were running in PUBLIC. He was within his legal rights to take pictures, because you are in a public setting and have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Bottom line - You broke the law by taking his SD card. He was a creeper, but not doing anything illegal.

You want privacy while running? Buy a damn treadmill, and use it in your home.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    ASL_Creepy_Guy_RE_How_old_are_youoptional_for_women_to_answer-s640x480-47855.jpg
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Should have strike a pose.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I want my camera back!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Yes, hes a creeper. However, you were running in PUBLIC. He was within his legal rights to take pictures, because you are in a public setting and have no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Bottom line - You broke the law by taking his SD card. He was a creeper, but not doing anything illegal.

Not entirely true. When it comes to photographs, even in public, a person has the right to refuse to be photographed. It's not about privacy, it's about common courtesy. Was the OP right to take the SD card? No. But he is right to be upset about being photographed.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Umm.... What about creep taking photos without permission. That's happened to me and I sure don't like it. You don't know why he was taking them or what he was planning to do with them. It’s assault really. It makes you upset, uneasy and fearful. How many times before you just can’t go for your run or walk the dog anymore? The “photographer” should be in jail. Just sayin’…
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

What about a creep taking pictures of children at a park?

I am pretty sure he is well within his rights. People should have the right to run in public without being photographed by some creepy man in a van.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    What? You didn't even try to get a free dinner? Dude, thats bull****! Never pass up a chance for free food.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Umm.... What about creep taking photos without permission. That's happened to me and I sure don't like it. You don't know why he was taking them or what he was planning to do with them. It’s assault really. It makes you upset, uneasy and fearful. How many times before you just can’t go for your run or walk the dog anymore? The “photographer” should be in jail. Just sayin’…

The photographer didn't break any laws
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Not entirely true. When it comes to photographs, even in public, a person has the right to refuse to be photographed. It's not about privacy, it's about common courtesy. Was the OP right to take the SD card? No. But he is right to be upset about being photographed.

This is a common misconception. You do NOT have the right to refuse to be photographed in a public setting, OR to request photos be deleted.

Otherwise, the paparazzi sure would have a hard time getting photos.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can be photographed on a public street without your permission. What they cannot do is use those images of you for profit without your permission (unless you are a public figure, then all bets are off).
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    You can be photographed on a public street without your permission. What they cannot do is use those images of you for profit without your permission.

Define Profit :bigsmile:
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Is it wrong to steal the SD card? Yes. As an amateur photographer I can tell you that the old creeper did not have any legally protected rights to take pictures of an individual running. Yes, when you go out in public people might take pictures of you. If you enter places of business for example there are usually signs informing you that you're being recorded. Photographers are allowed to take pictures of scenes of people without getting permission or model releases but not of individuals.

As illegal as it is to take the SD card I do not blame the OP in the slightest. I also do not think that we should lose the expectation of privacy just because we step out our front doors.

ETA: and my law knowledge isn't all it could/should be I'm just passing what I've learned in my photography classes. Regardless of legal or illegal the photographer was in the wrong(as was the OP even if I don't blame him).
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    May be he was a famous photographer working on his next project.

SIgned Devils Advocate :devil: