At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If you like colon cancer and heart disease, eat meat. If you like stomping all over the Golden Rule, eat meat.

You're right. I much prefer anemia. Anemia ftw!
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Anatomically we are a vegetarian species. Morally and ethically, vegetarianism is superior. Eating meat is self distructive. Come on, nobody disagrees with that?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    If you like colon cancer and heart disease, eat meat. If you like stomping all over the Golden Rule, eat meat.
    I like my vegetarian and vegan friends. They aren't pompous.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Try eatinng spinich. It worked for Popeye.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I like my vegetarian and vegan friends. They aren't pompous.

Telling the truth is pomposity?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

He ate meat
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been a vegetarian for a few years now, and has recently become seriously anemic. It is certainly a choice that you can make to not eat meat, but you have to be very careful to eat the right foods or you can endanger your health.

That's not a reason not to be vegetarian. That's a reason to be sensibly vegetarian, and eat a healthy diet. I've been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years, and have never been anaemic. Not even when pregnant. I do hope your daughter gets some good support, sorts her nutrition out, and is well very soon.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I like making self-righteous vegans cry. How you doin?

Make my day!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

If I died in my apartment alone with my cat, I really hope he would eat me rather than going hungry.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Anatomically we are a vegetarian species. Morally and ethically, vegetarianism is superior. Eating meat is self distructive. Come on, nobody disagrees with that?
    You are winning us all over with this! You rock! :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker:
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    My daughter has been a vegetarian for a few years now, and has recently become seriously anemic. It is certainly a choice that you can make to not eat meat, but you have to be very careful to eat the right foods or you can endanger your health.

That's not a reason not to be vegetarian. That's a reason to be sensibly vegetarian, and eat a healthy diet. I've been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years, and have never been anaemic. Not even when pregnant. I do hope your daughter gets some good support, sorts her nutrition out, and is well very soon.

Agreed!
  • meerkat70
    Options

Ah veggie friends. Come on. It's not a war. Nobody ever got 'turned' vegetarian through the arguments of militant vegetarians... :-D
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Ah veggie friends. Come on. It's not a war. Nobody ever got 'turned' vegetarian through the arguments of militant vegetarians... :-D
    Exactly. Sadly, these asshats make other vegans/vegetarians look bad. They do a real disservice to their "cause" by being so abrasive and self-righteous.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

You are absolutely right, Meerkat, but I am not trying to convince these people because that is impossible. I have read some of this thread and they are here just to poke at you. Well let them poke at me, I bite back.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Nope. Spinich.

He ate meat
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My husband is a butcher, and I like meat. The animals that I eat haven't been killed in an inhumane manner, and the deer have been killed as food and population control. To each their own. If you want to live on veggies, go for it. If you want to eat meat, enjoy. There is no point in becoming defensive or trying to change people's minds. I believe that we are given information about certain topics, and we do with that information what we choose.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    This thread's starting to make me want to eat a steak.
  • lilmissemmylou
    lilmissemmylou Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to say I honestly do not see the appeal of eating meat at all.

I grew up on a beef farm and any time I challenged my dislike of meat I was told to pipe down which I did until the age of 16 when I just started to buy my own quorn so I could still eat normal family meals but without animal in it. I have never had any problems with my diet of choice and I was always a healthy weight until 5 yrs ago when having a baby and thinking ice cream was the answer to heart burn made me gain 4 stone which i am still shaking the last of it off!

I dont really see why we "need" to eat meat? I mean i get that it tasted nice, I do remember that I loved fish for example but I was equally very pleased when quorn brought out "fish" based items :D and so long as I dont "need" to eat it, I won't.

Personally, if it had a face, then I'm not eating it, I would much rather enjoy my animals out in the wild looking beautiful along with the rest of nature :) Further still, the idea of flying meat all the way around the world is absurd! I don't understand why people would choose lamb all the way from New Zealand while living in ireland/UK... I mean where is the logic!? (and before people ask... yes I do try to limit my food miles on normal fruit and veg ;) )
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Come on gang. I have a basketball game in a few minutes. Let's rock and roll.
    What do you hope to accomplish, Champ? Get the thread locked before you go, or to have all meat-eaters repent and declare themselves vegans?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Apologies for slight sidetracking.

What I'm seeing here is a case of a couple trying to get everyone to move over to their thread from the one people are currently in. When people aren't moving to their thread, they've taken it upon themselves to do everything in their power to get another thread closed, derailing considerate and respectful debate to get their own way.

Does this happen a lot here? I'm new to MFP and was enjoying the forum and having discussions on various subjects, but I'm not sure I want to spend time coming back here each day if I'm going to see a lot of this.