At what price do we eat meat?

Options
susanswan
susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

A very sad tribute to our food industries such as McDonalds and others.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to watch a show like that, but it's natural for humans to eat meat. I'm an animal lover and it does hurt to think of animals being treated badly and killed for my food, but at the same time I just have to accept that it IS the industry I rely on for my food.

I used to disassociate animals and food much more. I was brought up on chicken nuggets, sausages and burgers, so I had no problems eating cow, pig, sheep and chicken, but when I was suggested venison or duck by a good friend who loves his cooking I found it hard to come to terms with eating that beautiful deer or the fluffy duck (especially as I once had a pet duck). It's only in the past year or so that I've been able to tell myself that in reality eating deer or duck is no different to eating cow or chicken. Now, I'm much less picky about the meats I eat.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been a vegetarian for a few years now, and has recently become seriously anemic. It is certainly a choice that you can make to not eat meat, but you have to be very careful to eat the right foods or you can endanger your health. Personally, I love to cook and enjoy a eating a large variety of foods, so I have no plans to eliminate meat, though you would never find me at McDonald's or any other fast food chain. In recent years, I have cut back on the amount of red meat in my diet, mostly because my family does not care for it. By the way, I have a parrot, and he loves to eat beef and chicken, so go figure....
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've seen Food Inc. I watched all of it. I'm also very much so a meat eater and an animal lover. The way I deal with this is to eat, as often as possible, local meats or kosher/halal meats. It's not easy to get these things, but with a little effort we can.

Human beings are omnivores. This means that we are designed to eat both meat and plants. The fact that an animal has to die in order for me to live is not a problem for me. It is the circle of life. I am no more upset by eating meat than I am by seeing a lion kill and eat his prey. At the end of the day, we human being are animals as well. We live off the land. I'm comfortable with that.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My uncle was a dairy farmer and we spent time there. My father spent all his summers there helping. And our local dairy farms give tours and answer questions about their practices and animals. We are friends with a few farmers who raise beef cattle too. We travel out west and south every year. I see tons of land with cattle out in the fields with plenty of food and clean water. Cows in people's front yards. Lots of space. And on occassion I even see them playing and running. EVERY single farmer I've spoken too (not that I've spoken to every farmer) name their cows, take care of them, talk to them, listen to them, feed them healthy food, etc. Not like house pets, but not abusive lives either. Death always sucks. No matter what. I just hope and pray that their death comes quickly and painlessly. And I try to make sure that we use as much of every animal we eat to not waste their sacrifice.

While some farms are defintely not awesome and slaughtering is terrible, I hesitate to take any of those food documentaries as the final say on anything. They are there to make money for the people who make them - good intentions but still one-sided. So they will be skewed.

Just MHO
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    This topic is being debated vigorously in the Groups section under Veggies vs Meat. We had to move it because the censors were closing down the discussion every few hours because they didn't like the intensity of the arguing (and I think they disagreed with the vegetarians. All are welcome. Please come visit us.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/440329-veggies-vs-meat
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    This topic is being debated vigorously in the Groups section under Veggies vs Meat. We had to move it because the censors were closing down the discussion every few hours because they didn't like the intensity of the arguing (and I think they disagreed with the vegetarians. All are welcome. Please come visit us.

I think anyone who eats meat, and says they care about animals at all, should watch FoodInc. It's an eye-opener. I am not here to debate, though. Here's a time I agree with my husband, VegesaurusRex. The moderators tend to ax this topic regularly.

I would say, come on over to the Veggies vs Meat group if you like hashing around this topic. The marqueritas are calorie-free, and the water is fine! But, definitely tune into FoodInc first if you think eating animals is okay. It might help inform you further about what happens on factory farms.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

A very sad tribute to our food industries such as McDonalds and others.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.

I have watched Food Inc several times.

I only eat farm raised, pastured meats, eggs and raw dairy. My fruits and vegetables come from a local CSA and a Coop and they have yummy farm raised meats also.

It is natural for us as Omnivores to eat both plants and animals. We need the nutrients that come from both places, not taking pill formed supplements to replace what we are not getting.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    My meat comes from local farms. You don't have to buy meat that is....uh, whatever happened in the film that was upsetting. Just thought I would point that out.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I find meat eaters to be extremely threatened by the position of vegetarians, and I have to wonder why. As a vegetarian, I don't feel threatened by their position; I simply disagree with it. But the people who feel that human beings have a "right" to eat animals do make me see slightly red. As the OP stated, when plants will sustain us, why kill? And those who consider themselves "carnivores" but have to have their (purchased, not self-killed) meat cooked to perfection? C'mon. REAL carnivores kill their own and eat it raw and bloody. The hypocrisy just gets to me. And the poster on this thread who cautioned against anemia for vegetarians, may I say that I am vegetarian and am healthier than I have EVER been in my 54 years of life. My family is healthier because I cook less meat for them. We are almost never sick, and when we are its just a cold or mild bug. No chronic anything. I exercise daily and have amazing stamina and strength. I am 54 years old and can still dance all night. :) Vegetarianism does NOT equal anemia or poor health. You CAN get all your nutrition from plants with the possible exception of B12, which can be supplement by fortified foods. Research! Don't just believe what you hear! Vegetarians and vegans who pay attention to their nutritional needs instead of just scarfing down everything that isn't meat will find themselves healthier, and probably lighter of spirit, as their own spirits begin to resonate with the respect they are showing the animal kingdom. If you say you love animals yet you allow your spirit to be numbed to the "industry you rely on for food", then perhaps YOU should make changes so that you no longer rely on that industry...or seriously question your own love of animals. If we are truly honest with ourselves, and make ourselves recognize the absolute devastation that the animal meat industry for food is causing to our health and to the environment, I don't believe we could continue the process.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I think anyone who eats meat, and says they care about animals at all, should watch FoodInc. It's an eye-opener. I am not here to debate, though. Here's a time I agree with my husband, VegesaurusRex. The moderators tend to ax this topic regularly.

I would say, come on over to the Veggies vs Meat group if you like hashing around this topic. The marqueritas are calorie-free, and the water is fine! But, definitely tune into FoodInc first if you think eating animals is okay. It might help inform you further about what happens on factory farms.

Food Inc isn't saying not to eat animals. They are saying don't eat animals raised in the filth and abusive environment that Factory farming consists of. I will no longer buy CAFO raised meats. If it ever comes to the point where we had to buy CAFO (Factory farmed) meats again, my husband and I both said we would become Vegetarians.

Factory farming (Cargill especially) is barbaric and abusive.

Find locally raised, humanely slaughtered, farm and pasture grazed sources of meats. Buy local helps not only the economy, but the environment as well. Happily raised animals will produce meat that is higher in nutrients because they are not stressed because they are in their natural environment.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My meat comes from local farms. You don't have to buy meat that is....uh, whatever happened in the film that was upsetting. Just thought I would point that out.

My family HAD a local farm when I was growing up. There's more complexity there than you probably care to know about. This is not a challenge to your thinking. Merely, my point of view, informed by very close proximity to the issue.
  • runnercheryl
    Options
    I find meat eaters to be extremely threatened by the position of vegetarians, and I have to wonder why. As a vegetarian, I don't feel threatened by their position; I simply disagree with it. But the people who feel that human beings have a "right" to eat animals do make me see slightly red. As the OP stated, when plants will sustain us, why kill? And those who consider themselves "carnivores" but have to have their (purchased, not self-killed) meat cooked to perfection? C'mon. REAL carnivores kill their own and eat it raw and bloody. The hypocrisy just gets to me. And the poster on this thread who cautioned against anemia for vegetarians, may I say that I am vegetarian and am healthier than I have EVER been in my 54 years of life. My family is healthier because I cook less meat for them. We are almost never sick, and when we are its just a cold or mild bug. No chronic anything. I exercise daily and have amazing stamina and strength. I am 54 years old and can still dance all night. :) Vegetarianism does NOT equal anemia or poor health. You CAN get all your nutrition from plants with the possible exception of B12, which can be supplement by fortified foods. Research! Don't just believe what you hear! Vegetarians and vegans who pay attention to their nutritional needs instead of just scarfing down everything that isn't meat will find themselves healthier, and probably lighter of spirit, as their own spirits begin to resonate with the respect they are showing the animal kingdom. If you say you love animals yet you allow your spirit to be numbed to the "industry you rely on for food", then perhaps YOU should make changes so that you no longer rely on that industry...or seriously question your own love of animals. If we are truly honest with ourselves, and make ourselves recognize the absolute devastation that the animal meat industry for food is causing to our health and to the environment, I don't believe we could continue the process.

Now, I'm not arguing with your beliefs or trying to cause trouble, but note you're the first person that's taken giving their opinion in this thread to the level of complaining about other people.

Everyone else so far has given their reasons for being vegetarian or not, and you've come in criticising people who choose to eat meat. Seems a little strange, then, that you're saying the meat-eaters are the ones feeling threatened.

I couldn't care less if people want to be vegetarian, nor if they want to eat meat. That's about as much of an issue to me as whether or not someone likes oranges.
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Also the prce that our environment is taking to our nations hunger for inexpensive meat!? I feel that until we as consumers find a balance of meat based protein and vegetable based protein in our diets the factory farms will not shrink but will continue to grow until something gives and it forces the consumers to change their shopping habits. IE.....restistent strains of virus's due to high antibiotic use, contaminated water supplies, obesity from inexpensive processed foods (I think we're there on this one) ect.....

Just my 2 cents.....
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to watch a show like that, but it's natural for humans to eat meat. I'm an animal lover and it does hurt to think of animals being treated badly and killed for my food, but at the same time I just have to accept that it IS the industry I rely on for my food.

I used to disassociate animals and food much more. I was brought up on chicken nuggets, sausages and burgers, so I had no problems eating cow, pig, sheep and chicken, but when I was suggested venison or duck by a good friend who loves his cooking I found it hard to come to terms with eating that beautiful deer or the fluffy duck (especially as I once had a pet duck). It's only in the past year or so that I've been able to tell myself that in reality eating deer or duck is no different to eating cow or chicken. Now, I'm much less picky about the meats I eat.

-__________-
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been a vegetarian for a few years now, and has recently become seriously anemic. It is certainly a choice that you can make to not eat meat, but you have to be very careful to eat the right foods or you can endanger your health. Personally, I love to cook and enjoy a eating a large variety of foods, so I have no plans to eliminate meat, though you would never find me at McDonald's or any other fast food chain. In recent years, I have cut back on the amount of red meat in my diet, mostly because my family does not care for it. By the way, I have a parrot, and he loves to eat beef and chicken, so go figure....

You really don't have to be that careful. Meat eaters become anemic too.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options

Now, I'm not arguing with your beliefs or trying to cause trouble, but note you're the first person that's taken giving their opinion in this thread to the level of complaining about other people.

Everyone else so far has given their reasons for being vegetarian or not, and you've come in criticising people who choose to eat meat. Seems a little strange, then, that you're saying the meat-eaters are the ones feeling threatened.

I couldn't care less if people want to be vegetarian, nor if they want to eat meat. That's about as much of an issue to me as whether or not someone likes oranges.

I will give you that much. :) This isn't my first rodeo with this issue, and I apologize for coming off sounding angry. I'm NOT angry. Well, that's not entirely true; I am angry at the huge corporations who profit from the meat and dairy industries to the detriment of the health of the populace and the environment. So far nobody on this thread has really gone for the vegetarian jugular, but if it doesn't happen I will be surprised. Just experience speaking. :)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Food Inc isn't even that bad. Try watching Earthlings sometime. I didn't even make it through the trailer.

Oh, and about that local family farm, except for chickens, those animals have to be slaughtered in a slaughterhouse, not on the pretty farm you may be imagining.
  • runnercheryl
    Options

I will give you that much. :) This isn't my first rodeo with this issue, and I apologize for coming off sounding angry. I'm NOT angry. Well, that's not entirely true; I am angry at the huge corporations who profit from the meat and dairy industries to the detriment of the health of the populace and the environment. So far nobody on this thread has really gone for the vegetarian jugular, but if it doesn't happen I will be surprised. Just experience speaking. :)

Fair enough :)
  • emcohen
    emcohen Posts: 46
    Options
    $8.99/lb is about the price for meat.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I got some sweet carne asada last night for $2.79 a pound! :love: