At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My uncle was a dairy farmer and we spent time there. My father spent all his summers there helping. And our local dairy farms give tours and answer questions about their practices and animals. We are friends with a few farmers who raise beef cattle too. We travel out west and south every year. I see tons of land with cattle out in the fields with plenty of food and clean water. Cows in people's front yards. Lots of space. And on occassion I even see them playing and running. EVERY single farmer I've spoken too (not that I've spoken to every farmer) name their cows, take care of them, talk to them, listen to them, feed them healthy food, etc. Not like house pets, but not abusive lives either. Death always sucks. No matter what. I just hope and pray that their death comes quickly and painlessly. And I try to make sure that we use as much of every animal we eat to not waste their sacrifice.

While some farms are defintely not awesome and slaughtering is terrible, I hesitate to take any of those food documentaries as the final say on anything. They are there to make money for the people who make them - good intentions but still one-sided. So they will be skewed.

Just MHO

Ever seen a feed lot? Ever seen a pig barn?

I know that many family farmers do their best to take good care of their animals, even if they intend to kill and eat them later, but most of the animals that end up in U.S. grocery stores are not from family farms.
  • byronelton
    Options
    My family has been vegetarian/vegan for 25 years now and it has been a great blessing. There are typically three reasons people come to this change in diet and lifestyle ... health, environmental and treatment of animals. For me there is a fourth which encompasses all three of the above and it is spiritual. Knowing that my food choices make me healthier, are good for the planet and respect all other living things on the earth is wonderful gift. I have long avoided arguing about the issue but would prefer to lead by example. Peace ...
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would like to see this thread survive, and the only way that will happen is if we can play nice in the sandbox.

Anyone who wants to discuss this topic, and advance any pro or con on the topic of vegetarianism, should mosey on down to the Veggies vs Meat group topic. You can say what you want without seeing all your words disappear when you least expect it.
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

A very sad tribute to our food industries such as McDonalds and others.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.

I absolutely do not agree with this. We are not carnivores-we're omnivores. We are meant to eat both meat and vegetables. Granted there are some really horrible things that go on in the meat industry but that does not mean we all need to stop eating it. It's part of the food chain and it's natural. This is just my personal opinion.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    A year ago FOOD INC caused me to give up fast food forever.

That and the fact that all fast food companies use beef that has been injected with AMMONIA !!!

Yes, that's poison!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all

Seriously, they're killing us people...
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I can't even watch the ASPCA commercials without sobbing.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.
    If God never intended humans to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Let's quit sniveling about it and just be glad we're living at the top of the food chain.

I mean, come on! Look how animals treat each other?
    They should all end up a burger on my plate.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    My meat comes from local farms. You don't have to buy meat that is....uh, whatever happened in the film that was upsetting. Just thought I would point that out.

My family HAD a local farm when I was growing up. There's more complexity there than you probably care to know about. This is not a challenge to your thinking. Merely, my point of view, informed by very close proximity to the issue.

We've butchered our own pigs and chickens (and wild animals) and live in a farming community and I don't see anything complex about the issue. I eat things that taste good...heck, if human meat tasted good....errr, wait, that's not right! But really, people can put whatever they want in their own bodies...but for me, I will support local farming. And eat tasty creatures all day. :)
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think it's great we have both meat eaters and vegetarians. If everyone was vegetarian, we'd put a huge strain on the soil in which we grow things to produce all of this vegetarian food. If everyone were meat eaters, we'd put a huge strain on the animal population to sustain us. With a mix, things can be a little more balanced out.

Sometimes eating meat is a good thing. When we have to cull a type of prolific animal (such as deer and wild hogs) so that they don't become too overpopulated, bringing disease and destruction, isn't it better to eat what we kill rather than let it rot on the side of the road? I think so.
  • bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Please dont hurt plants. I have owned a couple while growing up and really enjoyed their company. The world is much better with more plants and vegetables around :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I watched it in its entirety. Either there are some extremely naive people in the world, or I missed all the 'gruesome' parts.
    I vote naive.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Some plants have gotten people sick too, but I'm not swearing off of eating them.

To each his own...
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

If God never intended humans to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

Let's quit sniveling about it and just be glad we're living at the top of the food chain.

I mean, come on! Look how animals treat each other?
    They should all end up a burger on my plate.

Except for the cuddly ones...
  • _VoV
    Options

I absolutely do not agree with this. We are not carnivores-we're omnivores. We are meant to eat both meat and vegetables. Granted there are some really horrible things that go on in the meat industry but that does not mean we all need to stop eating it. It's part of the food chain and it's natural. This is just my personal opinion.

Again, opinions are going to go back and forth, and then they will disappear from here. All your typing for nought.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Precisely this.

Gory detail: Now, look at it this way, a lion gives her prey a slow, painful death. She chases weakened animals, or young ones, or smaller ones, and she bites into them before ripping parts of them off when they're still alive. She sinks her huge teeth into their flesh and pulls it away in chunks until her struggling prey eventually dies of pain, shock and blood loss. Is she doing anything wrong? Should we all be victimising the lion for eating meat? Animals die for us in brutal ways, no denying, but sometimes no more brutal than what those in the wild go through every day.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I can't even watch the ASPCA commercials without sobbing.

when i was pregnant hubby would just about dive bomb me to get the remote. i always turn it about 2 seconds in, but as soon as i thought the commercial was coming on, i started bawling.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I find meat eaters to be extremely threatened by the position of vegetarians, and I have to wonder why. As a vegetarian, I don't feel threatened by their position; I simply disagree with it. But the people who feel that human beings have a "right" to eat animals do make me see slightly red. As the OP stated, when plants will sustain us, why kill? And those who consider themselves "carnivores" but have to have their (purchased, not self-killed) meat cooked to perfection? C'mon. REAL carnivores kill their own and eat it raw and bloody. The hypocrisy just gets to me. And the poster on this thread who cautioned against anemia for vegetarians, may I say that I am vegetarian and am healthier than I have EVER been in my 54 years of life. My family is healthier because I cook less meat for them. We are almost never sick, and when we are its just a cold or mild bug. No chronic anything. I exercise daily and have amazing stamina and strength. I am 54 years old and can still dance all night. :) Vegetarianism does NOT equal anemia or poor health. You CAN get all your nutrition from plants with the possible exception of B12, which can be supplement by fortified foods. Research! Don't just believe what you hear! Vegetarians and vegans who pay attention to their nutritional needs instead of just scarfing down everything that isn't meat will find themselves healthier, and probably lighter of spirit, as their own spirits begin to resonate with the respect they are showing the animal kingdom. If you say you love animals yet you allow your spirit to be numbed to the "industry you rely on for food", then perhaps YOU should make changes so that you no longer rely on that industry...or seriously question your own love of animals. If we are truly honest with ourselves, and make ourselves recognize the absolute devastation that the animal meat industry for food is causing to our health and to the environment, I don't believe we could continue the process.

In the book of Genesis it clearly states that I have the God given right to eat meat.

I know that not everyone will have the same beliefs as I do. And, that is perfectly fine. This comment is not to try to get everyone to believe as I do. However, based on your statement, yes, I do have the right to eat meat.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I find meat eaters to be extremely threatened by the position of vegetarians, and I have to wonder why. As a vegetarian, I don't feel threatened by their position; I simply disagree with it. But the people who feel that human beings have a "right" to eat animals do make me see slightly red. As the OP stated, when plants will sustain us, why kill? And those who consider themselves "carnivores" but have to have their (purchased, not self-killed) meat cooked to perfection? C'mon. REAL carnivores kill their own and eat it raw and bloody. The hypocrisy just gets to me. And the poster on this thread who cautioned against anemia for vegetarians, may I say that I am vegetarian and am healthier than I have EVER been in my 54 years of life. My family is healthier because I cook less meat for them. We are almost never sick, and when we are its just a cold or mild bug. No chronic anything. I exercise daily and have amazing stamina and strength. I am 54 years old and can still dance all night. :) Vegetarianism does NOT equal anemia or poor health. You CAN get all your nutrition from plants with the possible exception of B12, which can be supplement by fortified foods. Research! Don't just believe what you hear! Vegetarians and vegans who pay attention to their nutritional needs instead of just scarfing down everything that isn't meat will find themselves healthier, and probably lighter of spirit, as their own spirits begin to resonate with the respect they are showing the animal kingdom. If you say you love animals yet you allow your spirit to be numbed to the "industry you rely on for food", then perhaps YOU should make changes so that you no longer rely on that industry...or seriously question your own love of animals. If we are truly honest with ourselves, and make ourselves recognize the absolute devastation that the animal meat industry for food is causing to our health and to the environment, I don't believe we could continue the process.

Maybe some meat eaters feel threatened by the postition of vegetarians...I don't. My good friend is a vegetarian and we agree to disagree.

"C'mon. REAL carnivores kill their own and eat it raw and bloody. The hypocrisy just gets to me."
    >My husband hunts and we eat the meat. We also buy farm raised meat, not factory raised. We also raise our own chickens for eggs and ducks for meat. We grown our own vegetables as well.

I did go Vegetarian for a while and my B12 was the lowest my doctor have ever seen, shots in the arms weekly for months to come back to normal. Of course, I could take supplement fortified foods;, we could take supplements for anything our bodies need, but I like to intake my nutirients naturally and that means meat for this girl. Just the way it's gotta be.

My only gripe with vegetarians is well they start preaching....all the while wearing their trendy leather belts and leather shoes.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been a vegetarian for a few years now, and has recently become seriously anemic. It is certainly a choice that you can make to not eat meat, but you have to be very careful to eat the right foods or you can endanger your health. Personally, I love to cook and enjoy a eating a large variety of foods, so I have no plans to eliminate meat, though you would never find me at McDonald's or any other fast food chain. In recent years, I have cut back on the amount of red meat in my diet, mostly because my family does not care for it. By the way, I have a parrot, and he loves to eat beef and chicken, so go figure....

Is your daughter teenage? It is very common for teenagers to become anaemic as their bodies get used to having periods. Anaemia is not limited to vegetarians.
  • _VoV
    Options
    My meat comes from local farms. You don't have to buy meat that is....uh, whatever happened in the film that was upsetting. Just thought I would point that out.

My family HAD a local farm when I was growing up. There's more complexity there than you probably care to know about. This is not a challenge to your thinking. Merely, my point of view, informed by very close proximity to the issue.

We've butchered our own pigs and chickens (and wild animals) and live in a farming community and I don't see anything complex about the issue. I eat things that taste good...heck, if human meat tasted good....errr, wait, that's not right! But really,
    people can put whatever they want in their own bodies...but for me, I will support local farming. And eat tasty creatures all day. :)

You are trying to be funny, but all I feel is sad. Come to the Veggies vs Meat board.