At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I like meat, I was born with meat eating canine teeth and if the good lord above made it for me to eat then I shall eat it. I prefer eating lean meats and lots of veggies, I limit my starches. I have 3 dogs and it does not bother me a bit to eat meat, we are both omnivores it is not like I am eating my pets so I do not have an ounce of guilt. Eating meat is a natural part of the food chain and it taste sooooo good !!!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    And here's my take.

I am 41, was raised and still live on a cattle, chicken, and large garden farm. We have over 500 head of cattle, 300,000 chickens and a 3 acre garden. This all supports 3 families (my family as well as my dads 2 brothers families).

The cattle live on 2700 acres which equals approximately 5.5 acres per animal at all times. They have 2 ponds and 3 creeks to drink from. The chickens live in 4 houses that are over 250 feet long by 40 feet wide and they are not in cages. They are free to walk, fly, eat, drink, roost, nest 24 hrs a day. The houses are also climate controlled to help with the heat of summer and cold of winter.

We do not give hormones or steroids to the cattle or chickens whatsoever. We do not put pesticides on the fields used for grazing. We use natural fertilizer ( manure from the chicken houses).

I know that there are "factory farms" out there that do not allow the animals any sort of life whatsoever. I totally disagree with that concept. Our animals live life to the fullest that they can. It is possible to farm animals humanely.

My family and I are meat eaters and always will be. That being said, we love our vegetables too. My 4 and 6 year old kids love broccoli! But they also love beef, chicken, pork and venison. Yes we like to hunt as well. People have been doing it since the beginning of time and will continue to do so. Hunting, to some families, puts meat in the freezer to help provide food thru the winter.Ever heard of Hunters for the Hungry? They provide food for many less fortunate families that are very appreciative of the meat they receive, trust me one this.

I totally have nothing against those who don't eat meat, more power to them if they can do so and be healthy. To each their own. Just know that not all farms are like the ones on that show. Our family has been farming for many generations and hopefully will be able to continue to do so.

There is an old saying that comes to mind, " I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables".

Please visit your local Farmer's Market every chance you get!!
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My family owns a turkey farm. I work in the slaughterhouse at their peek season part-time. Meat pays the bills.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Purdue's poultry farms are absolutely disgusting and shameless, not to mention just about every other large scale poultry farm. Cleaning up all the dead chickens? Chickens with bite marks and tears from fighting because they're in such close quarters? Yeah, effing morally decrepit. Anybody here ever watch the Dirty Jobs episode where Mike visits a poultry farm and gets to help the worker toss all the dead chickens into the dumpster??

I've watched Food Inc and I've watched Fork Over Knife as well. I don't believe meat is the root cause of the demise of American health, but rather our tasty food choices from places like McDonalds and Burger King. Fork Over Knife talks about that in great detail, although that movie is spun so hard it's ridiculous. I advocate eating meat, it's a great source of complete protein and when eaten in the right quantities and prepared healthily, there's nothing wrong with it. Do I advocate mistreatment of animals in the harvesting of said meat? Absolutely NOT. Nor do I think pumping them full of antibiotics is doing us as human consumers any health favors. Our FDA turns into a cuddle puddle whenever they have to approach the meat and poultry industry about tightening their regulations... It's sad.

If you want to eat meat, but would rather buy from local farmers in your area who don't feed their animals hormones, antibiotics, or mistreat them, I recommend finding sources from the American Grassfed Association's website <http://www.americangrassfed.org/&gt; If anything, I'd rather support LOCAL farmers who do the same damn thing as the guys across the country. That's another thing I hate about large scale producers like Purdue and Tyson.

American Welfare Approved also is a label that farmers and producers of meat and dairy can apply for. If their farms and their products are approved by the AWA standards, they can put the AWA on their food label for consumers to see. Check out more about that at http://www.animalwelfareapproved.org/.

Going all grass-fed is expensive and shouldn't be. I still buy stuff that isn't and it pains me to support those industries who will keep animals in horrible captivity for the duration of their short and miserable lives. The only thing "humane" about their treatment of animals, is the way in which they are slaughtered... Can't say much for chickens, though, they have it the roughest I feel. For the farmers that take care of their animals, THANK YOU. Please keep doing it. You're the farm I want to buy my meat from!!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    cattlehorn-bbq-pork-rub.jpg
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things." - Genesis 9:3

OH and he hath given us the green herb in bounty!

:smokin:
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    plus if everyone stopped eating meat, wouldn't there be a bazillion chickens, pigs and cows be running around? I don't think we would have the room for them all :)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    As the OP stated, when plants will sustain us, why kill? And those who consider themselves "carnivores" but have to have their (purchased, not self-killed) meat cooked to perfection? C'mon. REAL carnivores kill their own and eat it raw and bloody. The hypocrisy just gets to me.

So, you don't eat cooked veggies or baked bread?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    plus if everyone stopped eating meat, wouldn't there be a bazillion chickens, pigs and cows be running around? I don't think we would have the room for them all :)
    I'll give them a good home.

beer_gut_thumb.jpg
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've seen Food Inc. I watched all of it. I'm also very much so a meat eater and an animal lover. The way I deal with this is to eat, as often as possible, local meats or kosher/halal meats. It's not easy to get these things, but with a little effort we can.

Human beings are omnivores. This means that we are designed to eat both meat and plants. The fact that an animal has to die in order for me to live is not a problem for me. It is the circle of life. I am no more upset by eating meat than I am by seeing a lion kill and eat his prey. At the end of the day, we human being are animals as well. We live off the land. I'm comfortable with that.

This. All of this.

Although an addition for me: I don't disassociate between animals and the effort to "turn" it into food.

NO disassociation here either. I've participated in a slaughter. I am very comfortable with this. One Christmas we got a pig from a local farmer. The pig was named Willy. We humanely killed Willy, butcher and prepped the meat, and feed the whole family with said meat for a few months. I'm also fully aware that at any moment I could become meat for another animal. Like I said: Its the circle of life.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I guess vegatarians can't eat the following because they were processed and genetically altered?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Uu8ughFyfVg/Ta2W3syrsFI/AAAAAAAABYY/1kew3tuuHo8/s1600/cattlehorn-bbq-pork-rub.jpg

Did You Know Your Food is Genetically Altered?

During the last five years, several multinational chemical and drug companies – including Monsanto and Syngenta (formerly Novartis/Astra-Zeneca/Ciba-Geigy) – have quietly altered our food supply in an alarming way. Genes from bacteria, viruses, foreign plants and animals have been inserted into corn, soybeans, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, and papayas. These corporations plan to "genetically engineer" almost 100% of our food within a decade. Already about 40% of the soybeans, 20% of the corn, and a percentage of the potatoes grown in the U.S. and about 50% of the canola (rapeseed) plants in Canada have been genetically altered.

These companies have influenced US and Canadian regulatory agencies to allow these grains to be grown, mixed with non-altered grains, and sold without any labeling, even though they have been shown to be harmful to the environment and have not undergone even a single human health safety test. More than 60% of the packaged food items in US grocery stores contain genetically altered ingredients. We are now all experimental animals in a huge biological experiment involving the food we eat every day.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I love aminals... love to eat them:-) PETA: People Eat Tasty Animals
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    So little Cody is becoming a vegetarian too then?

He does prefer meat and cheese, but he get so excited when I pull carrots out of the veggie bin that he jumps up and down. When he hears me chopping on the cutting board he comes and sits nearby waiting for his veggie treats: celery, brussels sprout leaves, beets, pears, apples, oranges, bell peppers, peas, green beans, but he just loves the carrots.

It is an interesting discussion you guys have going. I stopped eating lamb first when after we bottle fed "Larisha" and her sister they ended up in our freezer at home. Cody would love it, but I don't think I can eat too much more of the animal products. My husband is the carnivore, so yes, I, the hypocrite cook and buy meat for him. I think I'll check into buying "better" raised meat for him.

It's a free country, so eat what you like. Someone has already been eating my "80" hotdogs that I am supposed to have eaten for years now. Not to mention the 10 pounds or whatever of sugar, etc that "each American" is supposed to consume annually. I am working towards eating mainly green plants, lots of fresh veggies and it is a difficult switch as in planning ahead. I believe I will be healthier. Numerous studies show animal products causing cancer and autoimmune disease. Call me naive but I prefer to err on the side of caution. You don't have to believe what I believe or agree with my opinion.

Have fun! = D
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is just stupid, its society! Blame society or big business for pushing local farmers out. If I could raise my own animals and farm my land I would!!! Its just not possible in todays society so live with it!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's practical for my family to stop eating meat. I have a plan to start producing and butchering my own meat (rabbit and goat) this year. So far, my chickens are only being used for egg production, but that may change. Unless times get really hard, my dogs and donkeys are safe. I believe humans we were designed to eat meat and veggies.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    "Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things." - Genesis 9:3

OH and he hath given us the green herb in bounty!

:smokin:

Hear hear!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes.

Lions? Tigers? Bears?

I think most homo sapiens are considered "omnivores."
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think "meat eaters" get all up in arms about vegetarians because most of the ones we come across are self righteous and judgmental about my choice to eat meat. Vegetarians seem to think that they are making the "better" decision and look down on neanderthals like me who still eat meat. That is what gets me annoyed. I have a family member who is a vegetarian (vegan) and he is so obnoxious and thinks he is so much more enlightened than the rest of us.

I don't care what you want to eat. Just let me eat my food the way I want to...it's called freedom.

Well....yes. We wouldn't have chosen to stop eating meat if we didn't think it the right moral decision.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When people say they were unhealthy, anaemic, had vit B12 deficiency (seriously? I have NEVER heard of that one anywhere but here, and I know many many vegetarians), it is clear they just weren't doing it very well. If you eat junk, you'll be unhealthy. Doesn't matter if that junk is vegan or not. If you eat healthily, you won't get deficiencies. The fact that most vegans manage perfectly fine and are in fact of above average health pretty much clinches that one.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard this before. If you google it, you'll find many vegan/vegetarian promoting websites that state this. (They advocate Vitamin B supplementation of course rather than eating animal products.)
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 7 years. I think if you do eat meat, you should just do your homework and see how it's processed, and if it bothers you but you don't want to give up meat, eat local, organic meats. I personally won't eat animals, but won't judge those that do as our bodies are made to eat them and use those nutrients. SO like I said, it's good to do your research and try to eat meat responsibly.

What I can never understand is why, when people learn I'm vegetarian, they are on the defensive and think I'm judging them. But I never am, and I'm never vocal on my views unless asked. Yet, many people make fun of me and degrade me for choosing not to eat meat. I never got this double standard.