At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My cows trust me to treat them well. And I do.

...until you kill them.

Ahhhh death to all....You do realize that a PLANT is a LIVING organism? Oh you didnt....Now you know.

Oh, please....be serious....Why would you care about plants without nervous systems, when you eat meat?

I am serious. You are berating choices of people that you do not know and on a level you cannot perceive.
    I eat both and do not care, either way. What I do care about is your lack of respect for those who choose not see eat as you do. And lets put something into perspective...How do you know a plant doesn't "Feel" in respect to a nervous system...are you a plant? are you sure they don't feel something in another form? No one knows this answer...including you. We can only speculate based on what we have learned. but until you become that which you kill to eat, you will never know. Remember this...they have the ability do something you don't...convert your hot air into the pure oxygen from which you get to continue beating your chest in perception that what you know is right.

Take what you believe as your own truths, but don't force them down others because they are not you. Everyone's body is different and reacts as such. You cannot get everything from a plant...and that goes the same as for meat. Just accept that you enjoy the lifestyle you have and others for themselves.

Most predictable. Thank you for confirming that nothing new has materialized in the 'Plants are alive, too' argument. I grew up on a family farm. We raised chickens, turkeys, pigs and black angus for meat. We also had a one-acre garden. So I know both pretty well. Go look at these organisms, and then tell me that they have equal sentience. (Oh, I KNOW, you wil tell me "I never said that.)

Just as in law, there are capital felonies and petty crimes, there's a spectrum of cruelty. Eating plants sits lower on that spectrum than meat-eating, in my opinion. This is as much as I want to hear about this boring "plants have feelings too' discussion. Bring on something novel, or just stop talking to me.

I read a study once that plants talked about how plants send out stronger electrical impulses when someone who is mean to them is in the room. What they did is hook a device to plants that recorded the plants electrical output...whatever that mens in plant land. Then they sent a person into the room who was "mean to the plant" they yelled, shook the pot and sometimes removed a leaf. THen they sent someone in the room who was "nice" to the plant . They watered it, took care of it, talked nice to it. After a few episodes of both when the "mean" person went into the room the plant would become "excited" and send out more electrical impulses...does this mean they have "feelings".

Check out the meaning of the word anthropomorphic. Plants and animals do not really have feelings or emotions that humans have.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I don't think Food, Inc. was about stopping eating meat but rather that there are more humane ways to raise and slaughter animals than what is commercially standard now.

That being said, I would really like to find more places that sell humanely raised beef and chicken, but it's not easy to do unless you want to spend an arm and a leg, which most of us simply cannot afford.

For those of you interested in purchasing sustainable fish products, check out:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/sfw_recommendations.aspx?c=ln

Seafood Watch is a program run by the Monterey Bay Aquarium that keeps up with current fisheries programs and scientific recommendations on the sustainability, environmental impacts, and bycatch associated with certain fisheries. If you are interested in being more informed about which fish you are eating are sustainably caught with minimal environmental impact and which are not, check it out. They even have an app.
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've found without question that the best way to lead others to a more plant-based diet is by example - to lead with your fork, not your mouth.

Bernie Wilke, quoted in Joanne Stepaniak, The Vegan Sourcebook, 1998

Someone should have read this book.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

A very sad tribute to our food industries such as McDonalds and others.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.

About $10.00 AUS a kilo ;)
    I usually buy what is on sale too. Love that beef! And chicken, pork, lamb, bison, elk, venison, fish, shrimp......
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    cattlehorn-bbq-pork-rub.jpg
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Just as in law, there are capital felonies and petty crimes, there's a spectrum of cruelty. Eating plants sits lower on that spectrum than meat-eating, in my opinion. This is as much as I want to hear about this boring "plants have feelings too' discussion. Bring on something novel, or just stop talking to me.

Just like some people in my community believe that protecting livestock and other farm animals takes precedence over the life of a coyote or fox. Your perspective is respected even though you peg me as mega cruel. My daughter watched food inc this year in middle school and has been a strict vegatarian ever since then, but she still works with me to tend my trap line.

As far as eating meat, well.. I prefer low fat, low calorie high fiber diets so I keep my meat intake to a minimum.

I like your diet, but not your trapping. Congratulations for eating a lot of plants. I definitely applaud that.
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I watched that documentary too. And I still eat meat because it's f***ing delicious.

internet-memes-at-first-i-was-like-but-then-bacon.png
  • _VoV
    Options

Did you want me to SAY something? Is this your version of a 'steak in your eye'? Not original.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am a farm girl. I have raised them from babies, named them, killed them, processed the meat with my bare hands and then knew which of my animal friends I was eating.

We are who we are and it is up to each individual to make their own food choices. Mr Rogers was a vegetarian. He said he couldn't eat anything that had a face. I love him but gotta have fish, poultry, pork and to a lesser extent beef.

Why?

Because some of us enjoy eating meat? Why do you insist on making this thread, because you wanted to. We each live life by our own philosophies, leave it be; it's a silly debate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you CAN now, but this practice of feeding grain to animals is an inefficient way to feed the planet. So, like it or not, once the meat and dairy subsidies go, you'll be paying $100/lb for hamburger. Then, talk to me.
    Maybe before then I'll die of colorectal cancer...................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Did you want me to SAY something? Is this your version of a 'steak in your eye'? Not original.

pictures = thousand words.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Raised on a ranch and love a rare steak! Mountain oysters are awesome, too!
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Just like some people in my community believe that protecting livestock and other farm animals takes precedence over the life of a coyote or fox. Your perspective is respected even though you peg me as mega cruel. My daughter watched food inc this year in middle school and has been a strict vegatarian ever since then, but she still works with me to tend my trap line.

As far as eating meat, well.. I prefer low fat, low calorie high fiber diets so I keep my meat intake to a minimum.

I like your diet, but not your trapping. Congratulations for eating a lot of plants. I definitely applaud that.

And I applaud you as well for your convictions, and if someone comes up with a better way of managing the predator population in Southern Maine from destroying the deer heard, killing farm animals, pets and anything else they can get their teeth into I will gladly not get up at 2:00 in the morning 7 days a week from October until January for a free turkey at thanksgiving and a couple of goose eggs throught the year :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this jerk! I'm sitting at work starving and then I stumble across this. LMAO
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Yeah, you CAN now, but this practice of feeding grain to animals is an inefficient way to feed the planet. So, like it or not, once the meat and dairy subsidies go, you'll be paying $100/lb for hamburger. Then, talk to me.
    Maybe before then I'll die of colorectal cancer...................

IDEA Fitness member

Or before the veggies die of samonella.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Now thats just wrong!!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. You were brave to post this, and I applaud you.
    "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians"
    Its so silly to get into it with anyone on here though. Unfortunately Vegans/Vegetarians can be aggressive. The best way to to show meat-eaters is by being healthy and strong and displaying how great we can look on a mainly plant based diet.
    I'm not anemic, nor too skinny, and I can build muscle. You can't get sick on a mainly plant based diet, if you are eating the right foods, it only happens if you really don't know what you are doing or replacing your old junk with new junk.

But, with that being said, I wish we could all just get a long :flowerforyou:

Funny story though, My fiance has a big, Persian family. They are very much meat-eaters. When I told them I didn't eat meat they looked at me funny and said "You no eat MEAT? What do you eat??" I swear it was straight out of my big fat greek wedding! :)
  • _VoV
    Options
    For any meat-eaters who think they are original thinkers, check this out:

http://i.imgur.com/R3OrV.jpg
    Lol, that was funny. Here's my defense. I eat animals because I CAN and because I enjoy it.

IDEA Fitness member

You haven't forgotten the heavy agricultural gov't subsidies have you? Or did you conveniently leave that out?

Watch 'King Corn' on Netflix, then talk to me.

No. Watch the subsidies end and farm goods skyrocket in price.THEN talk to me. Isn't that the appropriate response?

I think plant agriculture should get the lion's share of subsidies, so that inexpensive produce would be affordable to all. Just end the corn, and animal agriculture subsidies. And, yes, I do think that day will come.
  • cashnhaydensmama
    cashnhaydensmama Posts: 41 Member
    Options

LOL My mom eats those (Mountain Oysters), Can't say that I have any intention on trying them either!
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Thanks for posting this jerk! I'm sitting at work starving and then I stumble across this. LMAO

Question. If I posted a pic of broccoli.jpg would it have had the same reaction? I doubt vegatarians are going "OMG, I'm so hungry now!"