At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    If you like colon cancer and heart disease, eat meat. If you like stomping all over the Golden Rule, eat meat.

It isn't a guarantee that if you eat meat it results in colon cancer and heart disease. And even if you are a vegetarian or vegan its does not guarantee you freedom from these diseases either.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If you like colon cancer and heart disease, eat meat. If you like stomping all over the Golden Rule, eat meat.

It isn't a guarantee that if you eat meat it results in colon cancer and heart disease. And even if you are a vegetarian or vegan its does not guarantee you freedom from these diseases either.
    Classic vegan scare tactic. Pfft...
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

I eat meat and I'll offer to show him my colon for inspection if he doesn't believe me.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Apologies for slight sidetracking.

What I'm seeing here is a case of a couple trying to get everyone to move over to their thread from the one people are currently in. When people aren't moving to their thread, they've taken it upon themselves to do everything in their power to get another thread closed, derailing considerate and respectful debate to get their own way.

Does this happen a lot here? I'm new to MFP and was enjoying the forum and having discussions on various subjects, but I'm not sure I want to spend time coming back here each day if I'm going to see a lot of this.

Ahhh I think you have solved it...I was trying to put the pieces together myself but I think you are exactly correct. I have NOT seen this before...Groups are new to MFP but most are not about debating, they're about like interests and mutual support.
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If every human stopped eating meat, I reckon the cow and sheep would probably be nearing extinction within the century. I love driving through the countryside and seeing herds of cows gently grazing in a field and the hills dotted with sheep and lambs. That sight would soon disappear if we didn't need their meat to eat, all those fields would be turned over to Maize, wheat, sunflowers or other crops, it would be a much sadder world.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I am an animal lover and a omnivore. I raise cattle for meat and milk. I love my cows. LOVE my cows. (more than people some days .lol) I love their personalities. Their job is to feed people. My job is to give them the best care possible to make that happen. When I was younger I will admit it was hard for me to eat the animals I raised. But I grew up and I appreciate what they were put here for. So many people have lost the connection and understanding of where their food comes from and the people who work really hard to make that happen. We don't get snow days we get work yourself even harder days. It's a constant stress. Death is part of life and it is never pretty and should never be taken for granted. People see the bad things and assume that's how it all works. That's just not true. If you raise animals for food they are your livelihood. They don't do well-you don't do well.

I've been to several large (and small) packing (slaughter) houses and was amazed at how well it was all orchestrated. The cattle were calm and well treated.

I've seen bad things happen with animals. And honestly, people who will treat animals inhumanely treat people the same way. But most people are unwilling to work as it requires to to raise animals. They'd rather have air conditioning and a pension.

You don't have to eat meat if you don't want to but unless you have lived the life of a care taker don't judge. Making your decisions from a movie that has an agenda may not be the best plan.

Love can be so cruel sometimes. I might ask your cows what they think.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Apologies for slight sidetracking.

What I'm seeing here is a case of a couple trying to get everyone to move over to their thread from the one people are currently in. When people aren't moving to their thread, they've taken it upon themselves to do everything in their power to get another thread closed, derailing considerate and respectful debate to get their own way.

Does this happen a lot here? I'm new to MFP and was enjoying the forum and having discussions on various subjects, but I'm not sure I want to spend time coming back here each day if I'm going to see a lot of this.

Ahhh I think you have solved it...I was trying to put the pieces together myself but I think you are exactly correct. I have NOT seen this before...Groups are new to MFP but most are not about debating, they're about like interests and mutual support.

You know what they say about being careful not to assume. *kitten*-U-ME . You don't know me, and you don't know my motivations.
  • crystalcorals
    crystalcorals Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honestly I watched Food Inc., and it's not eating meat that is the problem. It's the inhumane treatment the animals are given. There are people like that in the world, and what's the use in letting all the food go to waste? Becoming a vegetarian isn't helping solve the inhumane ways, it's just causing more meat to be thrown out at the end of the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    According to the CDC you probably have a higher risk than I do for colorectal cancer even though you eat vegan and I don't. This is of course assuming you aren't Asian.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Anatomically we are a vegetarian species. Morally and ethically, vegetarianism is superior. Eating meat is self distructive. Come on, nobody disagrees with that?
    Of course some disagree, but why bother arguing with someone who could care less about what we actually think?

IDEA Fitness member
  • _VoV
    Options
    I am making points related to what I see as cognitive dissonance. Some arguments are just easier to defend. I personally see no need to kill animals, if plants nourish us well.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I really wish my time machine was working!!!

I'd love to round up all the preachy vegetarians and vegans, and send them back a couple of hundred years. I'd seriously challenge them to survive on their morally superior diets when they cant go to the local organic market for their foods.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

I am making points related to what I see as cognitive dissonance. Some arguments are just easier to defend. I personally see no need to kill animals, if plants nourish us well.

I see no need to stop eating animals if you can do it and stay healthy. Especially when eating meat can help your health.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that. Hunting is cruelty. Trapping is megga cruetly. I have no respect for either hunters or trappers.
    Spiders hunt and trap prey. Correlation- you have no respect for spiders.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Love can be so cruel sometimes. I might ask your cows what they think.
    You can speak with cows?

Seriously, cows have no feelings. You may believe otherwise, and that's just fine with me.
  • lawoods
    lawoods Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My cows trust me to treat them well. And I do.
  • _VoV
    Options
    My cows trust me to treat them well. And I do.

...until you kill them.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that watched Food Inc on Netflix and I have no issue with vegetarians/vegans whatsoever. I know there has been a bit of mudslinging on both sides over time (not just this post) but I attribute a lot of it to people being passionate about what they believe in. Personally I try and buy my meat products at a farmer's market nearby from local farmers that don't mass produce, I doubt I'll ever give up meat because I honestly love the taste of it, but I can certainly understand why some would give up meat for all sorts of personal reasons from ethics to health concerns or just plain not liking meat.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian by birth, my parents raised me to be one until I was 12 then gave me the choices and options to peruse a carnivorous diet. I never ever did.

I don't believe an animal needs to die to feed my stomach and I certainly don't buy into this '' you are a preditory carnivore biologically'' accusation that my meat eating friends/family and colleagues spout.

The people who are proud of this 'preditore carnivore' DNA don't go out in all weathers to stalk,hunt and kill an animal..they go to a grocery store. there is nothing remotely predatory about strolling around a grocery store with a shopping cart to purchase meat that has been killed, skinned, boned and preserved and processed.

A real predator doesn't require a meat packing corporation to do that for them.

I personally don't care what people eat, but in my mind, my social conscience prevents me from the need to eat an animal where there is no need to do so...others are fine with this, good luck to them. If there were no other food sources on this bountiful planet of ours, then maybe things would be different. There is nothing HUMANE about killing anything or anyone.

Happy hunting.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I hunt and trap, most of my meat I harvest myself. I buy very little. To be honest, I prefer veggie burgers :)

I am sorry to hear that. Hunting is cruelty. Trapping is megga cruetly. I have no respect for either hunters or trappers.

I dont care.