At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

A very sad tribute to our food industries such as McDonalds and others.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.

I haven't seen that movie (I'll make a mental note to watch it) but did recently watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. have you seen this one?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Yes, plants can give us everything our body needs....NOT. Get over the self-righteous one way or another. What works for some does not for others. A film will not change the fact that not everything can come from Greens or Meats.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Apologies for slight sidetracking.

What I'm seeing here is a case of a couple trying to get everyone to move over to their thread from the one people are currently in. When people aren't moving to their thread, they've taken it upon themselves to do everything in their power to get another thread closed, derailing considerate and respectful debate to get their own way.

Does this happen a lot here? I'm new to MFP and was enjoying the forum and having discussions on various subjects, but I'm not sure I want to spend time coming back here each day if I'm going to see a lot of this.
    Most of us can have a civil exchange of ideas. Sadly, a few cannot.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have to say I honestly do not see the appeal of eating meat at all.

I grew up on a beef farm and any time I challenged my dislike of meat I was told to pipe down which I did until the age of 16 when I just started to buy my own quorn so I could still eat normal family meals but without animal in it. I have never had any problems with my diet of choice and I was always a healthy weight until 5 yrs ago when having a baby and thinking ice cream was the answer to heart burn made me gain 4 stone which i am still shaking the last of it off!

I dont really see why we "need" to eat meat? I mean i get that it tasted nice, I do remember that I loved fish for example but I was equally very pleased when quorn brought out "fish" based items :D and so long as I dont "need" to eat it, I won't.

Personally, if it had a face, then I'm not eating it, I would much rather enjoy my animals out in the wild looking beautiful along with the rest of nature :) Further still, the idea of flying meat all the way around the world is absurd! I don't understand why people would choose lamb all the way from New Zealand while living in ireland/UK... I mean where is the logic!? (and before people ask... yes I do try to limit my food miles on normal fruit and veg ;) )

Veggies have faces, too...

imagespotato-face.jpg

Like I said previously, I eat a lot of vegetarian meals, and have no issues with people who prefer to eat that way exclusively, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to post that pic. :laugh:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Gee, I wonder what the deer did for population control before the hunters came by.

They starved to death or were eaten by other predators that weren't human?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Apologies for slight sidetracking.

What I'm seeing here is a case of a couple trying to get everyone to move over to their thread from the one people are currently in. When people aren't moving to their thread, they've taken it upon themselves to do everything in their power to get another thread closed, derailing considerate and respectful debate to get their own way.

Does this happen a lot here? I'm new to MFP and was enjoying the forum and having discussions on various subjects, but I'm not sure I want to spend time coming back here each day if I'm going to see a lot of this.
    Most of us can have a civil exchange of ideas. Sadly, a few cannot.

Would you like me to quote a few of your posts on the subject of civil exchange?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Sichuan+Peppercorn+Tenderloin+Steak+500.jpg
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There have been hunter's around for a long time, and less deer population control was required because humans were less densely populated. I would much rather eat venison for dinner than see a deer dead on the side of the road. ( I am typing this as I sautee some venison for dinner:happy:
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I hunt and trap, most of my meat I harvest myself. I buy very little. To be honest, I prefer veggie burgers :)
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Yes, plants can give us everything our body needs....NOT. Get over the self-righteous one way or another. What works for some does not for others. A film will not change the fact that not everything can come from Greens or Meats.

Really, big daddy, I see you are an expert on physiology and evolutionary history. Please give me a list of studies that you rely upon for the above absurd statement. Give me one study at least.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I hunt and trap, most of my meat I harvest myself. I buy very little. To be honest, I prefer veggie burgers :)

I am sorry to hear that. Hunting is cruelty. Trapping is megga cruetly. I have no respect for either hunters or trappers.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I am sorry to hear that. Hunting is cruelty. Trapping is megga cruetly. I have no respect for either hunters or trappers.
    I am sure the feeling is mutual.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Believe me it is. I am well known by certain populations in my area.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Do you realize that virtually ever serial killer was a hunter or trapper or abused animals. Take Albert De Salvio, the Boston Strangler. He used to put cats in cages and shot them. Frankly, I can really see the connection.

Believe me it is. I am well known by certain populations in my area.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Sorry, time to play basketball. See you guys tomorrow.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I hope the leather ball doesn't hit his face. Might accidently injest animal
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'd say on average the price is around $6 per pound :smile:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Sorry, time to play basketball. See you guys tomorrow.
    confetti.gif I look forward to your return.

:yawn:
  • lawoods
    lawoods Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am an animal lover and a omnivore. I raise cattle for meat and milk. I love my cows. LOVE my cows. (more than people some days .lol) I love their personalities. Their job is to feed people. My job is to give them the best care possible to make that happen. When I was younger I will admit it was hard for me to eat the animals I raised. But I grew up and I appreciate what they were put here for. So many people have lost the connection and understanding of where their food comes from and the people who work really hard to make that happen. We don't get snow days we get work yourself even harder days. It's a constant stress. Death is part of life and it is never pretty and should never be taken for granted. People see the bad things and assume that's how it all works. That's just not true. If you raise animals for food they are your livelihood. They don't do well-you don't do well.

I've been to several large (and small) packing (slaughter) houses and was amazed at how well it was all orchestrated. The cattle were calm and well treated.

I've seen bad things happen with animals. And honestly, people who will treat animals inhumanely treat people the same way. But most people are unwilling to work as it requires to to raise animals. They'd rather have air conditioning and a pension.

You don't have to eat meat if you don't want to but unless you have lived the life of a care taker don't judge. Making your decisions from a movie that has an agenda may not be the best plan.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I was raised a vegetarian. I've seen Food, Inc. I've seen Super-Size Me, too. I've seen documentaries on animal cruelty as part of the meat preparation process. I've personally been into a slaughterhouse and watched the slaughter happen.

But I began eating meat as of my 20's and still do. The only difference now is that I make sure I buy organic, humanely raised/slaughtered, free range, no-antibiotics or pesticides used meat products. Yes, it costs more. I don't care. I want to support the people who raise them humanely, not the big-agri industries out to make a buck at the animal's expense.

On the other hand, I don't eat fast food anymore. :devil:

To each his own. The meat vs vegan/vegetarian argument is like the to spank/not to spank one, and the evolution vs creationism one, and the democrats vs republican one. No one is ever going to convince the other side of their wrongness. So best to let it be.
    Live the way you want to live and leave others to do the same.

Couldn't have said it better :happy: