At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I disagree that plants can sustain us. I don't feel like there's enough variety in plants that you can really get all the nutrients you need from eating them. There will always be something that you don't like eating, and I, myself, am not about to start eating things I don't like. I'm sorry. If I don't like it, I'm not going to force myself... when I eat things I don't like, I become bored, and turn back to unhealthy food, and that's just not cool for my body.

With meat, I have plenty of variety: pork chop, ground turkey, ground beef, chicken, tuna, tilapia, scallops.

Other places I get my protein are: peanut butter, string cheese, cream cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, whole grains such as whole wheat bread, corn tortillas, oatmeal, kashi cereals, eggs.

But I do like plants such as veggies, peanuts in my PB count, I eat plenty of lettuce, I love edamame, I eat soy and whey proteins that are in my protein bars ...

Why can't we all just get along? *cheesy music plays* Honestly, why does it have to be such a damn debate? You do what you do, and I do what I do.

I just have to say I'm very pro-meat. I can't afford to buy my meat from local farmers or growers (I know a few personally, so don't think I'm being close minded or have never sought them out), so I have to eat whatever the cheapest thing in the grocery store is. Not all of us can afford it, but those of you who can, good for you for not supporting the big wig companies who are abusing their chickens, cows, etc. for our food. I also want to say that my sister was vegetarian for a while, and like I said, she got BORED. She couldn't get enough protein from non-meat places, so she turned to fish. She got bored of that, so now she's back to eating chicken and fish. She tries to stay as vegetarian as she can, but she just doesn't have many options, and she was getting sick a LOT, and had to turn back to meat.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian by birth, my parents raised me to be one until I was 12 then gave me the choices and options to peruse a carnivorous diet. I never ever did.

I don't believe an animal needs to die to feed my stomach and I certainly don't but this '' you are a preditory carnivore biologically''.

The people who are proud of this 'preditore carnivore' DNA don't go out in all weathers to stalk,hunt and kill an animal..they go to a grocery store. there is nothing remotely predatory about strolling around a grocery store with a shopping cart to purchase meat that has been killed, skinned, boned and preserved and processed.

A real predator doesn't require a meat packing corporation to do that for them.

I personally don't care what people eat, but in my mind, my social conscience prevents me from the need to eat an animal where there is no need to do so...others are fine with this, good luck to them.

Happy hunting.

Are you saying you are real Vegatarian? So you have a huge garden at your house and only eat what you are able to grow? Because a real vegatarian won't go to the grocery store for their food.

See how silly that train of thought is when it's on the ofher foot?

Happy Planting
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I personally see no need to kill animals, if plants nourish us well.
    Some personally like to eat animals because it is actually good nourishment. Also evolution has theorized that eating meat led to larger brains "back in the day" because of the continuing energy needed to fuel it as it grew. Plants didn't contain enough energy to sustain it.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2008/04/eating-meat-led-to-smaller-stomachs-bigger-brains/
  • magdamccraven
    magdamccraven Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love my dog. She is my friend. I eat cows, chickens, pigs, rabbits, fish and other previously alive animals. Sometimes I get them from local farms and sometimes I get them from Wal-Mart. I have raised and slaughtered all of these animals (excluding dogs although I don't have any judgement on those who choose to eat that meat). I watched Food Inc. I thought it was scary and sad but it didn't stop me from eating meat. You are being shown the worst out there to make a point. I live here in Washington State and we produce a lot of cattle. I have worked with cattle ranchers and growers and never seen anything like what was shown in Food Inc.

I would be more concerned about genetically modified seeds if I were one to get very concerned.

Definitely eat a plant based diet if you want, but don't challenge the carnivores. We are hunters and trappers after all.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian by birth, my parents raised me to be one until I was 12 then gave me the choices and options to peruse a carnivorous diet. I never ever did.

I don't believe an animal needs to die to feed my stomach and I certainly don't but this '' you are a preditory carnivore biologically''.

The people who are proud of this 'preditore carnivore' DNA don't go out in all weathers to stalk,hunt and kill an animal..they go to a grocery store. there is nothing remotely predatory about strolling around a grocery store with a shopping cart to purchase meat that has been killed, skinned, boned and preserved and processed.

I personally don't care what people eat, but in my mind, my social conscience prevents me from the need to eat an animal where there is no need to do so...others are fine with this, good luck to them.

Happy hunting.

Are you saying you are real Vegatarian? So you have a huge garden at your house and only eat what you are able to grow? Because a real vegatarian won't go to the grocery store for their food.

Happy Planting

harvesting vegetables isn't predatory...is it???
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Happy hunting.

Happy Planting

No. But that's about being a meat eater. It's quite hyprocritical of you to critcize people that get meat from their store, when you are shopping for carrots right next to them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I don't believe an animal needs to die to feed my stomach and I certainly don't buy into this '' you are a preditory carnivore biologically'' accusation that my meat eating friends/family and colleagues spout.

I personally don't care what people eat, but in my mind, my social conscience prevents me from the need to eat an animal where there is no need to do so...others are fine with this, good luck to them. If there were no other food sources on this bountiful planet of ours, then maybe things would be different. There is nothing HUMANE about killing anything or anyone.

Happy hunting.
    You do realize that the O and D line of the 9ers are all meat eaters? :wink:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Love can be so cruel sometimes. I might ask your cows what they think.
    You can speak with cows?

Seriously, cows have no feelings. You may believe otherwise, and that's just fine with me.

And you know cows, HOW?!?!
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    this site is about trying to get healthy not about bashing each other. Some people eat meat some dont! It is your choice how you live, now lets get back to what this site was meant for and encourage each other to lose weight/ get healthy.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I don't believe an animal needs to die to feed my stomach and I certainly don't buy into this '' you are a preditory carnivore biologically'' accusation that my meat eating friends/family and colleagues spout.

I personally don't care what people eat, but in my mind, my social conscience prevents me from the need to eat an animal where there is no need to do so...others are fine with this, good luck to them. If there were no other food sources on this bountiful planet of ours, then maybe things would be different. There is nothing HUMANE about killing anything or anyone.

Happy hunting.

I totally respect your viewpoint on the subject and I don't believe either side will convince the other that their point of view is correct. That being said, the passion and beliefs that you have against the thought of eating products by using words like "humane" " social conscience" and other strong words like that can come across as pontificating/denigrating towards those who do enjoy a different diet than you do. While I support anyone who is passionate about their beliefs where the value of the message gets lost when you make others feel like what they believe if flawed or even worse cruel. The wording makes it sound as if because I enjoy chicken breasts I support inhumane killing of animals and I don't have the level of social conscience as you or other vegetarians/vegans share. One side is not better than the other, they are just different.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    My cows trust me to treat them well. And I do.

...until you kill them.

Ahhhh death to all....You do realize that a PLANT is a LIVING organism? Oh you didnt....Now you know.
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I watch that too. And after I did I also watched a few other documentaries and did some of my own research and found that I would feel much better living a vegetarian lifestyle. Also, if you want to know about how we actually get our meat to the table, read skinny *****. It's extremeley informative as well. If you think about it... you're puting decomposing flesh into your body...... discusting much? ha.

By the way I am not putting down meat eaters at all. I'm not saying that if you're not a vegatarian you're wrong. But it wouldn't hurt to know the facts and realise what's going on beyond the grocery stores where you pick up your dinner.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My cows trust me to treat them well. And I do.

...until you kill them.

Ahhhh death to all....You do realize that a PLANT is a LIVING organism? Oh you didnt....Now you know.

Oh, please....be serious....Why would you care about plants without nervous systems, when you eat meat?
  • bluefox9er
    Options

Happy hunting.

Happy Planting

No. But that's about being a meat eater. It's quite hyprocritical of you to critcize people that get meat from their store, when you are shopping for carrots right next to them.

so why not grow a pair and catch your own meat if you are a predator?? I am not a predator and my food comes from the ground, be it in my own garden or that of a farm. my conscience allows me to purchase my vegetables knowing that no one has had to die, and being devoid of a ''predatory '' instinct, I am devoid of the need to kill to eat....or those who lack that cutting predatory edge, do the killing for me.
  • jrojeck
    jrojeck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Part of that film also showed a farm that raises meat animals in decent and happy living conditions until they are actually killed. I believe the point was also to show that there is a more ethical way of enjoying meat. The film isn't trying to imply that eating meat is wrong, it was trying to bring to light how horrendous the food industry is in America and how they callously pull the wool over the eyes of the American consumer but that there are healthier, more humane ways of raising our food.

I watched the whole film and I still like meat as much as I ever did. If it's within my means, I will definitely try to buy meat from producers that treat the animals with more dignity.
  • bluefox9er
    Options

Happy hunting.
    You do realize that the O and D line of the 9ers are all meat eaters? :wink:

IDEA Fitness member

and I have no doubt Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, Novarro Bowman and co are REAL predators!!!

Go 49ers!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The last Netflix show I "watched" was FOOD INC. I challenge all carnivores to watch that show for more than 5 - 10 minutes. I could not.

A very sad tribute to our food industries such as McDonalds and others.

I was headed towards plant based foods anyway, but although I love the taste of meat, I look at my 4 legged buddy Cody and can't help but think that all animals given the opportunity have charm and personality, like he does. I just don't think it is right to eat animals. Not when plants can sustain us. Dr. Fuhrman and his Eat To Live book. That cinches the deal for me.

About $10.00 AUS a kilo ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Part of that film also showed a farm that raises meat animals in decent and happy living conditions until they are actually killed. I believe the point was also to show that there is a more ethical way of enjoying meat. The film isn't trying to imply that eating meat is wrong, it was trying to bring to light how horrendous the food industry is in America and how they callously pull the wool over the eyes of the American consumer but that there are healthier, more humane ways of raising our food.

I watched the whole film and I still like meat as much as I ever did. If it's within my means, I will definitely try to buy meat from producers that treat the animals with more dignity.
    THIS. That's why I voted yes for Prop 2 in California.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I find meat eaters to be extremely threatened by the position of vegetarians, and I have to wonder why. As a vegetarian, I don't feel threatened by their position; I simply disagree with it. But the people who feel that human beings have a "right" to eat animals do make me see slightly red. As the OP stated, when plants will sustain us, why kill?

I think being a vegetarian is great. It's a lifestyle I wish I could have. I have gastroparesis along with other GI issues and I can not digest fiber the way others do and can't eat all vegetables unless I juice them every day and it gets expensive, sometimes not so yummy, and time consuming. I would love to be a vegetarian, if I could. Also, I was on blood thinners for 6 months after having a pulmonary embolism and the first thing they told me is no GREEN VEGGIES. Apparently, green veggies can inhibit the effects of blood thinners.

Since I have never been a vegetarian I am not sure what kind of variety there is out there in that diet without the green veggies, but I am also eating gluten free eliminating wheat and a corn free ciet due to allergies so I am one of those weirdos that has to be selective about the foods I put in my mouth and unfortunately, meat is one of the only safe things I can eat. I just don't like people getting mad or feeling angry that I eat meat. I don't like animal cruelty and I only purchase meat products from placed like whole foods that take good care of thier animals, but in my situation it's kind of like me or them...

I used your quote just because I was answering your question, I am not saying you are someone who judges others, but there are people out there who only eat vegetarian that can get mean and angry for people that do eat meat and I don't think it's fair when people get angry with me and I can't help it. At least for me personally, I will always be eating meat, but while I do, I am making sure that the animals were not treated like the ones in that video. It made me cry and puke at the same time.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I watch that too. And after I did I also watched a few other documentaries and did some of my own research and found that I would feel much better living a vegetarian lifestyle. Also, if you want to know about how we actually get our meat to the table, read skinny *****. It's extremeley informative as well. If you think about it... you're puting decomposing flesh into your body...... discusting much? ha.

By the way I am not putting down meat eaters at all. I'm not saying that if you're not a vegatarian you're wrong. But it wouldn't hurt to know the facts and realise what's going on beyond the grocery stores where you pick up your dinner.

Skinny B**** is not a good book. I've read it, well about half before it threw it away. I'm all fro people being healthy and eating a "clean" diet... But then you have them... Don't eat meat and dont eat anything processed but here eat this chuck of fake processed meat... yeah, thats healthy!