OT: Cake

Options

Replies

• MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Number 5 looks irresistibly delicious!

You're getting married on June 13th? That's my wedding date, too!

Congrats!! :flowerforyou:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Okay lady...lucky for you I had some spare time at work. :wink: :laugh: :laugh:

Cake 1:
    Cake1.jpg

Cake 2:
    Cake2.jpg

Cake 3:
    Cake3.jpg

Cake 4:
    Cake4.jpg

Cake 5:
    Cake5.jpg

Cake 6:
    Cake6.jpg

Cake 7:
    Cake7.jpg

Cake 8:
    Cake8.jpg

OK, here's my professional (semi anyways)....

#1 The chocolate wrapped cakes are beautiful. I've done a few myself. They are a bit harder to cut, the chocolate tends to break, especially when you get down to the last few slices. To cut the cake easier, warm the knife in a glass of hot water, wipe with a towel, and slice away.

#2 Very elegant look. Very pretty. I love the hand painted hearts and swirls on the side.

#3 A very clean, classy look. Are you planning on the piping to be melted chocolate, or frosting? If chocolate (my personal choice) make sure your decorator is experienced, and comfortable working in it.

#4 It's ok... kind of plain. I'd be concerned with all the ribbons that are wrapped around it, that the person decorating get them straight. Even a couple of the ribbons in the posted picture are crooked.

#5 Kind of busy for a wedding (not a professional thing, just my opinion on this one). Also, a lot of fondant. I'm going to ask you about fondant when I get done with the list. Another thing, if you've got dark tableclothes, the cake might blend in a bit.

#6 I like this one a lot. My only concern is how crowded the top layer looks with the designs cramped together. I think that the smaller designs should have been proportionally spaced away from the center, like the other layers were. It looks like maybe they tried... I don't know... Just the spacing on it seems off on the top layer.

#7 Is very simple. It goes better with the callas then it would with roses.

#8 I go back to my comments on #4, with the chocolate VS frosting issue. Make sure your decorator is able to do a design like this! It's very intricate (and pretty easy to hide/cover mistakes --the darker paisley on the left bottom layer looks like a fix of a mistake). Not everyone can pipe like this-- I know I would have a hard time with it, so just make sure with your decorator first. Maybe, ask them if they can pipe a cupcake like this for you, or purchase a small single layer and ask them to decorate it before you order the wedding cake.

All that being said, are you planning on having your cake covered in fondant, or just buttercream? Fondant makes for the beautiful smooth surface, but isn't really delicious. I make a marshmallow fondant that tastes better, but most professional bakeries use fondant that they buy. Most of the cakes (except for #5) could be done with a smoothed buttercream. Or a fondant. #5 is covered in fondant, and then all the accents are done in fondant, so keep that in mind. Don't be surprised if most of your guests peel the fondant off the cake before eating.

Ok... my favorites are #3 and #6... Good luck with the choosing! And have fun with the tastings!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Listen to Pett, she knows what she's talking about!
  • pettmybunny
    Options

Awwww.... thanks sweetie!
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Seriously! Your cakes ROCK! I could never get to that level. The most I can do is a Wilton pan with a star tip. :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    Options

Seriously! Your cakes ROCK! I could never get to that level. The most I can do is a Wilton pan with a star tip. :laugh:

Believe it or not, that's where I was 2 or 3 years ago! Once I started trying the harder stuff, and the kids realized I could do it, I learned fast! Between all the birthdays in the house and getting hit up for school functions and giveaway cakes, I've had a lot of practice! Only one wedding cake though. Ugh... the pressure as I was driving it! Wedding cakes are where the money is at, but I'm not sure if my heart can take it!
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sometimes I throw in patterned cupcake holders to really show off my skills....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    oh Kellch, I'm always changing votes on you.

After reading what PetMyBunny had to say, I renew my support of #3, and withdraw the vote for the fondant cake.

I hadn't thought of the delicious/not delicious factor, and voted solely on looks. But her point is very strong!! The point of a cake is the deliciousness of it, (as well as its looks.)

so I say #3
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Watch out! You're getting fancy! :laugh:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Your bridesmaid dresses....
    P_5609_1_124024.jpg
    I wore truffle in a wedding in December, halter style dress.
    If anyone needs any truffle dyed cute heels size 7.5, gimme a hollar and I'll make 'em a deal they can't refuse. :wink:

I can't see the cake links at work, so I'll have to check them from home.
    When do you want me in Ohio for a taste testing?????????? NOM NOM NOM

LOL :laugh: I'll have my mom (dkell on here) let ya know :bigsmile: Let me know how it is and mail me a piece..:angry:
    :laugh: :wink:

Thanks for posting the pic....I'm computer retarted sometimes :ohwell: :laugh:

I will check to see if anyone needs 7.5 shoes writing.gif
  • kellch
    Options

That would be maximum awesomest!!!!!!!!!!!:heart:

I'll have the prime rib please.:drinker:

Need a date?????? :bigsmile:

You just wanna go because Numero Uno said open bar.:angry:

I feel so cheap and used.:ohwell:

Ok. You can be my date, but you can wear the tux.

Cool! You know I don't like wearing girl clothes!! th_happy0005.gif

Mullet or crew cut, you choose. :blushing:

Let's pull out all the stops and ditch that mullet. We is going with class.:smokin:

We wouldn't want to cause any distractions at Numero Uno's weddin' now would we?:embarassed:

Anywhere you two go would cause a distraction...in a good way of course crush.gif
  • kellch
    Options
    That's it! If Jo & Shannon are going to be there, I simply can't refuse. :love:

:angry:

Oh sure! Come for them but not me. hmmmmf CrossedArms.gif
  • kellch
    Options
    2, 3, 5, in that order. gotta get rid of the squiggles on the top of the cake, of course.

someone else said it just right- 5 is the best if the theme/feeling of the wedding is more fun/casual. 2/3 are better for a more elegant/formal day.

the curves of the topper compliment the curves on the cake decorations.

the dresses are beautiful!!!! I have such a crush on brown colors right now :love:

thanks! :smooched:

I know, I never thought of brown as a color for my wedding...but I fell in love with the dresses :love:
  • 3babybeans
    Options

:angry:

Oh sure! Come for them but not me. hmmmmf CrossedArms.gif

Oh, you'll be so busy with all your wedding stuff, I won't even get a chance to see you! If Shannon & Jo are there, we can get :drinker: together & dance on tables. :bigsmile: If I do it by myself, that's just shameful. :tongue:
  • pettmybunny
    Options

lol... I've been known to do that as well... Just an FYI, you can't see the designs when you use chocolate cake... I found out the hard way :grumble:
  • kellch
    Options
    I like #2 and #3 :love:

Thanks gorgeous!! Wanna come up to OH and have some? flirtysmile1.gif

Do fish drink water???

I'm there!!!! :drinker:

th_yipee.gifth_yipee.gifth_yipee.gifth_yipee.gifth_yipee.gif

Wooooohooooooo!!!!! The hot redhead is comin to my wedding!!!! th_happy0005.gif
  • kellch
    Options

Good deal!!!!!!!!

At the reception we can all boogie down together to some Melissa Ethridge.:blushing:

Perhaps some Indigo Girls? :wink:

A lil bit a this and a lil bit o that yahoo.gif
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    oh Kellch, I'm always changing votes on you.

After reading what PetMyBunny had to say, I renew my support of #3, and withdraw the vote for the fondant cake.

I hadn't thought of the delicious/not delicious factor, and voted solely on looks. But her point is very strong!! The point of a cake is the deliciousness of it, (as well as its looks.)

so I say #3

Yup... I know, I've seen it. I love using fondant, it's like play-do (I do a lot of modeling with it, and put the figures on the cake), but it really isn't the best tasting thing.

Rolled buttercream icing might be an option too--It's somewhat fondant like, but delish! Main drawback is that it's shiny. I've not mastered making it myself ( couldn't get my batch to roll out for the life of me), but it really is yummy.
  • kellch
    Options
    Number 5 looks irresistibly delicious!

You're getting married on June 13th? That's my wedding date, too!

Congrats!! :flowerforyou:

Got it :flowerforyou: Yup it's comin quick :drinker:

Thanks!! Congrats to you too!! :drinker:
  • doubleloop23
    Options
    1, 5, and 7 are absolutely beautiful!