OT: Cake

Options

Replies

• kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options

OK, here's my professional (semi anyways)....

#1 The chocolate wrapped cakes are beautiful. I've done a few myself. They are a bit harder to cut, the chocolate tends to break, especially when you get down to the last few slices. To cut the cake easier, warm the knife in a glass of hot water, wipe with a towel, and slice away.

#2 Very elegant look. Very pretty. I love the hand painted hearts and swirls on the side.

#3 A very clean, classy look. Are you planning on the piping to be melted chocolate, or frosting? If chocolate (my personal choice) make sure your decorator is experienced, and comfortable working in it.

#4 It's ok... kind of plain. I'd be concerned with all the ribbons that are wrapped around it, that the person decorating get them straight. Even a couple of the ribbons in the posted picture are crooked.

#5 Kind of busy for a wedding (not a professional thing, just my opinion on this one). Also, a lot of fondant. I'm going to ask you about fondant when I get done with the list. Another thing, if you've got dark tableclothes, the cake might blend in a bit.

#6 I like this one a lot. My only concern is how crowded the top layer looks with the designs cramped together. I think that the smaller designs should have been proportionally spaced away from the center, like the other layers were. It looks like maybe they tried... I don't know... Just the spacing on it seems off on the top layer.

#7 Is very simple. It goes better with the callas then it would with roses.

#8 I go back to my comments on #4, with the chocolate VS frosting issue. Make sure your decorator is able to do a design like this! It's very intricate (and pretty easy to hide/cover mistakes --the darker paisley on the left bottom layer looks like a fix of a mistake). Not everyone can pipe like this-- I know I would have a hard time with it, so just make sure with your decorator first. Maybe, ask them if they can pipe a cupcake like this for you, or purchase a small single layer and ask them to decorate it before you order the wedding cake.

All that being said, are you planning on having your cake covered in fondant, or just buttercream? Fondant makes for the beautiful smooth surface, but isn't really delicious. I make a marshmallow fondant that tastes better, but most professional bakeries use fondant that they buy. Most of the cakes (except for #5) could be done with a smoothed buttercream. Or a fondant. #5 is covered in fondant, and then all the accents are done in fondant, so keep that in mind. Don't be surprised if most of your guests peel the fondant off the cake before eating.

Ok... my favorites are #3 and #6... Good luck with the choosing! And have fun with the tastings!

Ok....wow...so much goes into these cakes...no wonder they're so expensive :laugh:
    What is fondant? :embarassed: I like buttercream frosting. But I like the smotth surfae. Maybe I can ask them if they do the marshmallow. I thought they would use buttercream with maybe just a small layer of the shiny fondant stuff. :ohwell: And then the designs in chocolate. :ohwell:

I want it to be yummy and look nice. Sounds like #3 would be a good choice for that...and #6. I will definately keep this all in mind. I printed your post :bigsmile:

Thanks PMB :smooched: :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    Options
    Listen to Pett, she knows what she's talking about!

Yeah she does!!!speedmetal.gif
  • kellch
    Options
    Listen to Pett, she knows what she's talking about!

Awwww.... thanks sweetie!

Seriously! Your cakes ROCK! I could never get to that level. The most I can do is a Wilton pan with a star tip. :laugh:

Believe it or not, that's where I was 2 or 3 years ago! Once I started trying the harder stuff, and the kids realized I could do it, I learned fast! Between all the birthdays in the house and getting hit up for school functions and giveaway cakes, I've had a lot of practice! Only one wedding cake though. Ugh... the pressure as I was driving it! Wedding cakes are where the money is at, but I'm not sure if my heart can take it!

I'd love to get into that stuff...but I think I may eat the cake before the people come pick it up ninja.gif
  • kellch
    Options

Seriously! Your cakes ROCK! I could never get to that level. The most I can do is a Wilton pan with a star tip. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sometimes I throw in patterned cupcake holders to really show off my skills....

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I buy the cakes from the bakery or make them out of a box in a retangular pan ninja.gif
  • kellch
    Options
    oh Kellch, I'm always changing votes on you.

After reading what PetMyBunny had to say, I renew my support of #3, and withdraw the vote for the fondant cake.

I hadn't thought of the delicious/not delicious factor, and voted solely on looks. But her point is very strong!! The point of a cake is the deliciousness of it, (as well as its looks.)

so I say #3

forgot which one u voted for before...oh well I'll just add one for 3 :bigsmile:

Looks like that's the one with most votes already:drinker:
  • kellch
    Options
    That's it! If Jo & Shannon are going to be there, I simply can't refuse. :love:

:angry:

Oh sure! Come for them but not me. hmmmmf CrossedArms.gif

Oh, you'll be so busy with all your wedding stuff, I won't even get a chance to see you! If Shannon & Jo are there, we can get :drinker: together & dance on tables. :bigsmile: If I do it by myself, that's just shameful. :tongue:

I'll always make time for yewwww crush.gif

What's so wrong with dancing on tables by yourself? embarrassed.gif
  • kellch
    Options

OK, here's my professional (semi anyways)....

#1 The chocolate wrapped cakes are beautiful. I've done a few myself. They are a bit harder to cut, the chocolate tends to break, especially when you get down to the last few slices. To cut the cake easier, warm the knife in a glass of hot water, wipe with a towel, and slice away.

#2 Very elegant look. Very pretty. I love the hand painted hearts and swirls on the side.

#3 A very clean, classy look. Are you planning on the piping to be melted chocolate, or frosting? If chocolate (my personal choice) make sure your decorator is experienced, and comfortable working in it.

#4 It's ok... kind of plain. I'd be concerned with all the ribbons that are wrapped around it, that the person decorating get them straight. Even a couple of the ribbons in the posted picture are crooked.

#5 Kind of busy for a wedding (not a professional thing, just my opinion on this one). Also, a lot of fondant. I'm going to ask you about fondant when I get done with the list. Another thing, if you've got dark tableclothes, the cake might blend in a bit.

#6 I like this one a lot. My only concern is how crowded the top layer looks with the designs cramped together. I think that the smaller designs should have been proportionally spaced away from the center, like the other layers were. It looks like maybe they tried... I don't know... Just the spacing on it seems off on the top layer.

#7 Is very simple. It goes better with the callas then it would with roses.

#8 I go back to my comments on #4, with the chocolate VS frosting issue. Make sure your decorator is able to do a design like this! It's very intricate (and pretty easy to hide/cover mistakes --the darker paisley on the left bottom layer looks like a fix of a mistake). Not everyone can pipe like this-- I know I would have a hard time with it, so just make sure with your decorator first. Maybe, ask them if they can pipe a cupcake like this for you, or purchase a small single layer and ask them to decorate it before you order the wedding cake.

All that being said, are you planning on having your cake covered in fondant, or just buttercream? Fondant makes for the beautiful smooth surface, but isn't really delicious. I make a marshmallow fondant that tastes better, but most professional bakeries use fondant that they buy. Most of the cakes (except for #5) could be done with a smoothed buttercream. Or a fondant. #5 is covered in fondant, and then all the accents are done in fondant, so keep that in mind. Don't be surprised if most of your guests peel the fondant off the cake before eating.

Ok... my favorites are #3 and #6... Good luck with the choosing! And have fun with the tastings!

Ok....wow...so much goes into these cakes...no wonder they're so expensive :laugh:
    What is fondant? :embarassed: I like buttercream frosting. But I like the smotth surfae. Maybe I can ask them if they do the marshmallow. I thought they would use buttercream with maybe just a small layer of the shiny fondant stuff. :ohwell: And then the designs in chocolate. :ohwell:

I want it to be yummy and look nice. Sounds like #3 would be a good choice for that...and #6. I will definately keep this all in mind. I printed your post :bigsmile:

Thanks PMB :smooched: :flowerforyou:

Points to post......may have got lost in all of my catching up :bigsmile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    A good decorator will be able to frost your cakes with buttercream and smooth it to a flat finish.

Looking at your pictures, it looks as if 4, 7, and 8 were buttercream. But all of them except #1 (it is done in buttercream, but then the chocolate wrap is put on) and # 5 could be done with the smoothed buttercream.

Fondant is a dough like frosting. Depends on what recipe you use, but basic fondant is powdered sugar, water, unflavored gelatin (or egg whites or cream of tartar), and glycerin. Some people will add flavorings like vanilla or almond, but it doesn't help much.

Marshmallow fondant on the other hand tastes mostly like marshmallows. Made with marshmallows (of course, lol), water, and powdered sugar. The consistency is different than the professional fondant, but it tastes soooo much better!

Make sure when talking with your decorator (if you decide on chocolate piping) that they know you want melted chocolate, and not chocolate frosting. Be as specific as you can when going through everything. It may seem in your face and obvious to you, but you'd be surprised!

Feel free to PM me too, if you want. I'm happy to answer any questions!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Marshmallow fondant is my FAVE icing to work with. The worst part is getting the color even, but once you start working with it, it is very forgiving...and tasty. :bigsmile:
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Marshmallow fondant is my FAVE icing to work with. The worst part is getting the color even, but once you start working with it, it is very forgiving...and tasty. :bigsmile:

Yup, half goes on the cake, half goes in my belly! The one time I made the rolled buttercream (thank goodness it was a practice cake!) and it didn't turn out so well, it was still delicious, and I kept pulling off chunks to eat, because I couldn't believe how much better it tasted than fondant. Better than MMF too! But not good for modeling, and tough to work with!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Sounds like something I would like to try...but my *kitten* probably disagrees. :bigsmile: I have my daughter's b.day coming up in about 4 weeks & I'm doing a beehive cake!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Sounds like something I would like to try...but my *kitten* probably disagrees. :bigsmile: I have my daughter's b.day coming up in about 4 weeks & I'm doing a beehive cake!

Are you stacking different sized rounds? I love the look of the behives! Another one I've always wanted to make is a barbie cake, with the doll, and the dress is the cake. For years I've tried to talk the boys into one of those, but they aren't letting me :laugh: :laugh: . I need to have a daughter...
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Sorry Kellchie! We're really not hijacking! Nope nope nope! I vote for number 3...

Oh wait, I already did! lol
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    funny-pictures-gerbil-makes-sprinkles-for-your-birthday-cake.jpg

:laugh:

Ummm... No real mice though! I made this one... lol
    69567_6244.jpg

OMG, I just realized it was a cake for the gerbil... doh!
  • kellch
    Options
    A good decorator will be able to frost your cakes with buttercream and smooth it to a flat finish.

Looking at your pictures, it looks as if 4, 7, and 8 were buttercream. But all of them except #1 (it is done in buttercream, but then the chocolate wrap is put on) and # 5 could be done with the smoothed buttercream.

Fondant is a dough like frosting. Depends on what recipe you use, but basic fondant is powdered sugar, water, unflavored gelatin (or egg whites or cream of tartar), and glycerin. Some people will add flavorings like vanilla or almond, but it doesn't help much.

Marshmallow fondant on the other hand tastes mostly like marshmallows. Made with marshmallows (of course, lol), water, and powdered sugar. The consistency is different than the professional fondant, but it tastes soooo much better!

Make sure when talking with your decorator (if you decide on chocolate piping) that they know you want melted chocolate, and not chocolate frosting. Be as specific as you can when going through everything. It may seem in your face and obvious to you, but you'd be surprised!

Feel free to PM me too, if you want. I'm happy to answer any questions!

So could 3 and 6 be done in smoot buttercream?
  • pettmybunny
    Options

Oh definately. And it would probably cost less than covering in fondant as well.
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Are you stacking different sized rounds? I love the look of the behives! Another one I've always wanted to make is a barbie cake, with the doll, and the dress is the cake. For years I've tried to talk the boys into one of those, but they aren't letting me :laugh: :laugh: . I need to have a daughter...

I'm stacking 2 rounds & then doing a dome on top. I've never done a 3D cake so I'm nervous! Eek!
  • pettmybunny
    Options

I'm stacking 2 rounds & then doing a dome on top. I've never done a 3D cake so I'm nervous! Eek!

It'll turn out fine! Are you making fat little bees and flowers too? Gosh I wish I had girls! lol
  • kellch
    Options

Oh definately. And it would probably cost less than covering in fondant as well.

I think we have a winner!!!! speedmetal.gif

It had the most votes and I was torn between 1, 3, 5, and 6. You are right about 5 being too loud and all fondant :sick: 1, well, I like it but it's only gonna be 3 tiers so may be too small in that design ???, 3 was one of my favs right away, and 6 I love it too......but since there were more votes for 3 it helped me make the decision. I couldn't make my mind up so I used this as a tiebreaker :drinker: :smokin: :bigsmile:

Or wait! It's because Shannon told me to pick it! :flowerforyou: :wink:
    Nice going, mizzymiz! :flowerforyou:

I choose #3. Order that one, kellch! :angry:

So #3 it is!!!!

Cake3.jpg

Thanks all :smooched:

And the cake topper:

JustCakeToppers_com_Image_WS7087.jpg
  • 3babybeans
    Options

It'll turn out fine! Are you making fat little bees and flowers too? Gosh I wish I had girls! lol

hehe I am! I'm so looking forward to a girly cake. I've done a dog cake, a monkey cake & hardware cupcakes for Zeke. I did a football field w/ giant football & beach scene cupcakes for Micah.

I'm looking forward to using my pinks & purples. :bigsmile: My friend did a tea party cake for her daughter's first b.day & it was SO cute!