Is Shakeology overpriced?

Options

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to lay this all out. I still don't think you'll convince anyone who already believes in Shakeology.

this...

BB is extremely effective at their brainwashingmarketing I liked P90x but the shakeology isnt worth it.

Time after time I have seen here and firsthand guys and gals who see that they can get the same nutrition for much less yet still stay with shakeology. Doesnt make any sense but there it is.

good post.

+1

People also refuse to try other workouts because P90X and Insanity are "so amazingly awesome" or whatever.

I'm just looking for something that tastes good...and that I can swallow.
  • JarrodFit4Life
    Options
    After review, I see the comparison.

Maybe the difference then is convenience. Having to combine multiple products and purchase multiple products can be a little more difficult and time consuming than an all in one stop for 0.30 more per serving or so.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Maybe the difference then is convenience. Having to combine multiple products and purchase multiple products can be a little more difficult and time consuming than an all in one stop for 0.30 more per serving or so.

I honestly think that's why Beachbody made the product in the first place. At least, that's what they were talking about in the beginning. The marketing is obviously different now, but back in 2009 it was a convenience thing. Marketing back then said that this could replace your protein supplement and your multi...and most people against Shake-O say to just take a protein supp and multi.

But then again, for better nutrition and lower cost, if the taste is good, then I'd buy multiple things. I bet if Beachbody would lower the dang price, they'd get more customers. I know a lot of former coaches who now sell Body by Vi, and they ALWAYS tell me that one of the main reasons why they decided to promote Vi was the cost of the product.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Orthro Core and Green Vibrance are best in class products, there are lots of products that would still be a viable alternative to ShakeO with a better nutritional profile and about half the cost or so (for multis; orange triad, anavite, dr feelgood, NOW ADAM etc, for greens; oximega greens, myogreens, magnum nutracuticals greens etc etc). Also you can choose a protein flavor of your choice, tons of really tasty proteins out there, you aren't limited to just 2 flavors, and you get a lot more protein per serving.

And while ShakeO may be more convenient, you are getting charged an arm and a leg for a run of the mill nutritional profile
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Orthro Core and Green Vibrance are best in class products, there are lots of products that would still be a viable alternative to ShakeO with a better nutritional profile and about half the cost or so (for multis; orange triad, anavite, dr feelgood, NOW ADAM etc, for greens; oximega greens, myogreens, magnum nutracuticals greens etc etc). Also you can choose a protein flavor of your choice, tons of really tasty proteins out there, you aren't limited to just 2 flavors, and you get a lot more protein per serving.

And while ShakeO may be more convenient, you are getting charged an arm and a leg for a run of the mill nutritional profile

and as the BB coaches read this.....they will say...ya...but shakeology works for me...I'll stick with it...got to hand it to BB...they brainwash em good
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I asked someone what it was yesterday, and just got their refferal link. What is it?!
  • Acg67
    Options
    I asked someone what it was yesterday, and just got their refferal link. What is it?!

a meal replacement powder
  • Lyadeia
    Options

It's a meal replacement drink that has a bunch of other things added to it like adptogens, phytonutrients, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, protein, etc. It is marketed as "the healthiest meal of the day" because it highly nutritious considering that it has a lot of these minerals, vitamins, and other things packed into it, and you'd be eating a whole lot of other foods everyday to get the same things. There are 2 flavors (chocolate and greenberry) and a third one (tropical) is coming out in February.

But anyway, it's a meal replacement drink that contains all those things in one stop. In fact, it is marketed as being the thing you need if you want all those above in one single food giving it the huge convenience factor a lot of people like. Even the guys in this thread who offered awesome alternatives must agree that even their alternatives are multiple things you take in a day while Shakeology is just one thing you buy.

If you eat a well balanced diet and aren't missing anything from your nutrient profile, then you wouldn't need to look into a meal replacement anyway...something that Beachbody tends to leave out of their marketing, lol. Which is why a lot of people look at it like a crutch for people who don't eat right the rest of the day.

This whole thread was started, not to bash Shakeology even though there are ALWAYS people that jump into these conversations to do so and to also bash the people that use it (why I normally stay out of them anyway) but rather to discuss the fact that there are cheaper options with the same nutrition. I believe the O/P has proved his point that there are cheaper alternatives with the same or better nutrition.

I also believe that until a company takes those alternatives, combines them into one package, and offers it as a convenient meal replacement alternative that tastes great and that consumers don't have to buy multiple things of to combine into one, people will continue to buy the higher priced Shakeology. In the beginning when Shakeology first came out, it stood on the fact that a lot of people liked the taste of it as well as the whole idea of only buying one package. The marketing has skewed beyond repair after that and there are a lot of brainwashed coaches out there who think it's magic fairy dust or something.

I guess the coach that sent you the referral link was hoping you would go there and read the posted ingredients list to find out what it was...and perhaps you would be like "wow I need that" and buy it from them immediately. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Good post Acg! Now just one more thing. No MEAL REPLACEMENT replaces real food. Hands down it's better to eat a meal than drink it if you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Acg67
    Options
    This whole thread was started, not to bash Shakeology even though there are ALWAYS people that jump into these conversations to do so and to also bash the people that use it (why I normally stay out of them anyway) but rather to discuss the fact that there are cheaper options with the same nutrition. I believe the O/P has proved his point that there are cheaper alternatives with the same or better nutrition.

That would be correct, coaches will always tell you that you cannot beat the nutritional profile for less money, when in reality it's really not that hard to do so and there is a wide range of options that will give you a better profile. As you've pointed out though, it is usually spaced among mult products. It may be awesome that ShakeO is basically a multi, protein powder and greens formula in 1, but none of the profiles are that great.
    I also believe that until a company takes those alternatives, combines them into one package, and offers it as a convenient meal replacement alternative that tastes great and that consumers don't have to buy multiple things of to combine into one, people will continue to buy the higher priced Shakeology. In the beginning when Shakeology first came out, it stood on the fact that a lot of people liked the taste of it as well as the whole idea of only buying one package. The marketing has skewed beyond repair after that and there are a lot of brainwashed coaches out there who think it's magic fairy dust or something.

I'd wager to guess that most people take ShakeO because if you watch their DVDs i heard it's shoved at you, same as the crappy results and recovery formula. A friend at work started P90 with his wife for the new year and came up to me asking what my opinions were on ShakeO and did he need to add it to his diet
  • Acg67
    Options
    Oh and just for fun, Beachbody is now admitting the vitamins in ShakeO aren't that great. Compare the vitamins and minerals in these two, notice what has changed?

P90X Peak Health Formula
    "the highest-quality, most complete multivitamin we've ever offered. "
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/p90x_peak_performance/p90x_peak_health_formula.do

21o5xye.jpg

ShakeO
    "Shakeology®, an ultra-premium nutritional health shake "
    "We searched the world for the most potent ingredients your body can easily absorb and utilize "
    http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/meal_replacement/shakeology.do

2reqq3c.jpg
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    But the Peak Health Formula was released years before Shakeology was. I had someone try to sell that to me when I did P90X back in 2007 which is years before Shakeology was released. I politely turned them down cause it's a pill.

Which reminds me...can you point me in the direction of a multi that is as good as the ones you posted earlier that is possibly a chewable or liquid? I actually asked that in a thread all by itself sometime last year and didn't get many responses other than Centrum gummies or something like that.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    I'd wager to guess that most people take ShakeO because if you watch their DVDs i heard it's shoved at you, same as the crappy results and recovery formula. A friend at work started P90 with his wife for the new year and came up to me asking what my opinions were on ShakeO and did he need to add it to his diet

I own quite a few of those DVDs since I do most of my cardio workouts at home and I also have done P90X. They have those advertisements after the workouts are finished, but I normally don't even watch them. After the workout is over, I turn off the DVD player and do something else. I chalk it up to commercials that I wouldn't bother watching on TV, or previews for movies that I would skip anyway.

But of course they are going to advertise their other stuff on things you buy. They don't have a store anywhere...unless you count their website...so they are tossing their marketing at you that way. I wouldn't consider that a bad thing. Companies that don't sell products go out of business, and you don't have to look at the commercials if you don't want to. :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Options
    But the Peak Health Formula was released years before Shakeology was. I had someone try to sell that to me when I did P90X back in 2007 which is years before Shakeology was released. I politely turned them down cause it's a pill.

Which reminds me...can you point me in the direction of a multi that is as good as the ones you posted earlier that is possibly a chewable or liquid? I actually asked that in a thread all by itself sometime last year and didn't get many responses other than Centrum gummies or something like that.

I was actually looking for a high quality liquid multi for you yesterday, so far not so good. A common thread with all the ones i found contained the cheap and inferior (non coenzyme form) b complex forms among other things
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! This is the kind of info I've been looking for lately. Had no idea what Shakeology was about but it's name alone turned me off. Now I remember it's a BeachBody product. Thanks for your great comparisons. It helps people like me who are new to weight training.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It seems your comparison and claim doesn't add up though. All together, the products you suggested are ~$5.46 for 1 serving of each. Am I missing something here?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I bought a workout program a few years ago (maybe 6) and apparently it came with a "free trial" suppliment. Which I tried but I'm allergic to most of the fillers used in vitamins (they give me or eczema and if they have dyes they also give me hives), so I took them for a week and then shelved them, and magically I started getting charged rediculous amounts on my credit card to a vender name I was familiar with. It took me 6 months to figure out how to cancel that *kitten*. When I figured it out I sent back 6 months worth of suppliments. A couple of times I've looked for specific workout programs, realized it was there, and opted not to buy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It seems your comparison and claim doesn't add up though. All together, the products you suggested are ~$5.46 for 1 serving of each. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you're putting all the products together. He have a couple of different options in different price ranges.
  • Acg67
    Options

There are 3 different multis i listed at different price ranges and 2 protein powders. There are also a lot of high quality greens formulas, but only listed one since it is considered best of class and doesn't have a prop blend
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

There are 3 different multis i listed at different price ranges and 2 protein powders. There are also a lot of high quality greens formulas, but only listed one since it is considered best of class and doesn't have a prop blend

Derp thanks. I should probably read in detail next time.