Is Shakeology overpriced?

Options

Replies

• blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Are BB products overpriced? Absolutely!

I use Body by Vi and love the taste and so many options (i use unsweetened almond milk, raw spinach and fruits) to use the product. Also it is a lot less expensive and tastes better than any other weight loss product I have tried.

Am I a distributor? No. I do share my results with family & friends in the hopes of bettering their health. If 3 of them sign up under me and I get mine free, I'd be stoked. But I am not going to be a distributor and try real hard to 'sell' the product. I think it speaks for itself.

Side Note: I get chronic migraines so I haven't been able to do 2 shakes a day. I do make them when I have the energy bc they make me feel great. No soy, lactose free, gluten free and more.

Just my 2 cents, whatever they're worth.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Love this information.
  • BalenciaLynn
    BalenciaLynn Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    they just came out with a tropical strawberry, im getting my sample in the mail soon as right now i currently use chocolate.
    Im not sure if it works but i have been drinking it every morning for the past two weeks and i use it instead of having breakfast...
    It does keep me full until break time so idont really mind it.
    one package though lasts me almost 3 months as i only use half the portion size.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    8611022.jpg

Ditto!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump bumpidy bump
  • fearie_jae
    fearie_jae Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bumping. thanks for the great info :)
  • sebbysmommy
    sebbysmommy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    bump needed
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Affordablity is relative. It's not overpriced for me. I do appreciate your other arguments on this topic though.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Is Shakeology overpriced?

YES!!! However you're better and making a case. I just look at the price per serving, what's in it, and compare it to the protein I take and the food I consume and then throw-up all over the price.

Here's what I use, http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1020-dcs-protein-formula-1lb.aspx?t=d

It's pretty in-expensive per serving and frees up plenty of money for good quality food which can't be trumped by a shake.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yeah, have to agree here. I was under the Shake-O spell when I started TurboFire, then realized I can get the same thing for A TON less from NOW foods, and that no shake or pill would magically boost my weight loss. Plus NOW tru-food is vegan and tastier, and I can buy it at my local health food store. Add in a good greensplus bar for a snack, and I'm good to go when I need a quick on the go meal between classes.
  • tlbr8408
    tlbr8408 Posts: 5
    Options
    I LOVE body by VI shakes!!! and you can get 2 bags of Vi-shake mix for less than the price of 1 bag of gritty shakeology
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it is. I prefer the Body By Vi Shakes which have a tri-sorb protein and taste like cake mix. I can mix it with anything and even make pancakes, protein bars and muffins. Also used as a meal replacement it is only $1.87 per shake which is almost 1/2 the price of a BB shake.

I agree about Visalus!!! I tried Shakeology and other than the Chocolate which is just meh, there's nothing I like about it. I dropped a few ell bees doing a 5-day challenge, but I didn't enjoy the shakes enough to keep paying for it/using it.

I have been doing Visalus for 6 weeks now and I love it! Definitely worth it for me! I've lost 16 lbs and like 8 inches and I have oblique muscles for the first time EVER! EVER, I SAY!
  • JNick77
    Options
    I LOVE body by VI shakes!!! and you can get 2 bags of Vi-shake mix for less than the price of 1 bag of gritty shakeology

Are you kidding? For that price the damn shakes are gritty too? LMAO, fail! For that price the shakes should finish with a happy ending.
  • Rozgarden
    Options
    Yeah, I asked about P90x on here a month or so ago and got swamped with "coaches" trying to sell me stuff. UGH. I refuse to buy any beachbody products now just in protest.

Having spent many hours in classroom training above and beyond my Master's in clinical psych to pursue certification as a life coach, I have to wonder what sort of formal training these "coaches" have gone through. Don't fall for the "coach" label ... these sound like sales people rather than trained coaches. Kind of like the "sales counselors" title you see floating around ... they aren't really counselors in a formal sense (unless you consider getting you to buy their product qualifies as "counseling").

Anyone who tries to sell me something and tells me I'll have access to a "coach" or "counselor" has immediately lost the sale. I don't appreciate these sorts of manipulative semantic tricks.

Regarding cost: $4.00 or $5.00 per serving?? You've got to be kidding me. :)

That is the thing they are not trained my Beach Body anyway (some may have personal training or nutritional accreditation) but for most of them it is a simple sign up.......

https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/coach?isNewCoach=true

^^^^ This is the requirement...basically pay beach body a fee and then go out and drive your friends and anyone else you can crazy for $$.

Actually that is NOT true. Coaches are required to do training.

And for the record.. as this thread is really unfriendly and judgmental to coaches, Shakeology AND Beachbody.. Please do NOT speak for ALL Beachbody coaches. There are several coaches out there that are NOT pushy salespeople. Shakeology is simply a great product. If it's too expensive for you, then move on. Simple as that. Why rant on and on for what 20 pages it seems to prove what?

Isn't this website set up to offer support for people with goals to get fit? I believe I didn't sign up to hear people b**ching about Shakeology, Beachbody or coaches.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I asked about P90x on here a month or so ago and got swamped with "coaches" trying to sell me stuff. UGH. I refuse to buy any beachbody products now just in protest.

Having spent many hours in classroom training above and beyond my Master's in clinical psych to pursue certification as a life coach, I have to wonder what sort of formal training these "coaches" have gone through. Don't fall for the "coach" label ... these sound like sales people rather than trained coaches. Kind of like the "sales counselors" title you see floating around ... they aren't really counselors in a formal sense (unless you consider getting you to buy their product qualifies as "counseling").

Anyone who tries to sell me something and tells me I'll have access to a "coach" or "counselor" has immediately lost the sale. I don't appreciate these sorts of manipulative semantic tricks.

Regarding cost: $4.00 or $5.00 per serving?? You've got to be kidding me. :)

That is the thing they are not trained my Beach Body anyway (some may have personal training or nutritional accreditation) but for most of them it is a simple sign up.......

https://www.teambeachbody.com/signup/-/signup/coach?isNewCoach=true

^^^^ This is the requirement...basically pay beach body a fee and then go out and drive your friends and anyone else you can crazy for $$.

Actually that is NOT true. Coaches are required to do training.

And for the record.. as this thread is really unfriendly and judgmental to coaches, Shakeology AND Beachbody.. Please do NOT speak for ALL Beachbody coaches. There are several coaches out there that are NOT pushy salespeople. Shakeology is simply a great product. If it's too expensive for you, then move on. Simple as that. Why rant on and on for what 20 pages it seems to prove what?

Isn't this website set up to offer support for people with goals to get fit? I believe I didn't sign up to hear people b**ching about Shakeology, Beachbody or coaches.

The forums are set up to offer individuals from many walks of life to give their opinion on a variety of subjects. What are the courses you must take by the way? I didn't see anything about them when I looked at the Beach Body Coach sign-up page.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a question for the OP, like many others I have searched for a meal replacement shake that didnt cost and arm and a leg. I am not working at the moment and while I liked the completeness of the ShakeO there was no way I could afford it, especially since my daughter, my husband and myself are all getting healthy and loosing weight together. I have always liked the Source of Live products and was wondering what you thought of the their Energy Shake? I have been using that this last week or so and really like it a lot. The price is really low (under 1.40 a serving if you buy online from the Vitamin Shoppe or SuperSuplements). There is a lot of the product that I like, and I was curious because of all the alternatives discussed, this one is never mentioned and I was curious as to why? Just curious as to your thoughts?
  • rjmerchants
    Options
    This is a very interesting post. I found Shaleology through extensive Internet research. I own a website with a product called SuperMeal Rx, but this past year they went out of business. SuperMeal Rx wholesaled at about $50.00 plus shipping, and sold at retail for about $74.00 plus shipping. The product was packed full of nutrients, and was great for when you needed to be out for a long time and didn't want to eat junk food at a restaurant (I consider most food out there junk). I still have some of this product left, that I'm using for myself until we can find something to take it's place. On the website I had to discontinue the item. Through an email op-tin box, I am offering to notify anyone who signs up of a new product once it is found. I still get hits on my website because of SuperMeal Rx. Actually, this one product gave me the most hits of anything else. It is unfortunate they went out of business.

Recently, like I said, I found Shakeology. I have not tried it yet, but will be soon. My Father-in-law has stage one cancer of the pancreas and is diabetic, and since he will not eat vegetables, I thought this would be just the thing for him. I have thoroughly looked over BeachBody in hopes it would help my wife loose about 70 lbs. The program looks promising. The thing I don't like about it is that it is a MLM! This means in order to sell Shakeology, or help people loose weight on my website, I would have to become a coach. I was hoping to find a product that is not attached to a MLM business. This tends to be a big turn off for most people. Even with SuperMeal Rx, I was asked many times, "is it a multi level marketing product?" With SuperMeal, I could say no honestly. I promoted this product because I truly believed in it. If I can't believe in the product, I'm not going to promote it!

Seeing that Shakeology is part of a MLM, I looked for another similar product, but have not found any. For now, if I want to replace the SuperMeal Rx product I once had, it looks like I'm going to at least have to consider Shakeology until I find something else.

As for the price, I agree that it is expensive and is not for everyone. If you are going to take this product, you need to be serious about your health to get the full benefits. I do not eat out very often, and I never eat at McDonald's!! If you eat at McDonald's regularly, then shakeology or similar products is probably not for you. But if you care about your health, and your eating habits show it, then like myself, this is a product to at least consider. Whether or not my website is successful with Shakeology or not greatly depends on marketing (if it can be done within BeachBody's STRICT guidelines!!).

The coach that I came across on-line was rude to me and would not reply to my questions either by e-mail or by Facebook, so I am not going with her. We are looking for a coach in the Tampa FL area, and would like to deal with someone local.

SuperMeal Rx Page www.rjmerchants.com/store/supermeal
    RJ Merchants - www.rjmerchants.com/store
  • JNick77
    Options
    Yes, I agree with AcG, Shakeology is far far far overpriced at that cost per serving. Here's what I take which pretty much covers Shakeology's product:

1. Whey protein (CFM): $0.80 / serving
    2. Multi Vitamin (3 pill serving 1 pill per meal): $0.30 / serving
    3. Vitamin C (depends on how I feel, may take 1 to 2 pills per day) ~$0.05 / serving
    4. Vitamin D (2,000 IU serving, 1 per day) $0.05 / serving

This comes out to $1.20 per serving and it doesn't do anything more for me than Shakeology does and I'm willing to bet that this brand of Whey Protein is of greater quality than Shakeology.

I think sometimes people forget that with certain products you're not paying for the quality of product you're paying to cover that products marketing expenses, or in other words - hype.
  • aunaturel81
    aunaturel81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It seems as though the replies which list alternatives to Shakeology all include either multivitamins or products which are fortified with vitamins. It looks like Shakeology ingredients are all naturally sourced, with no artificial vitamins added. I am by no means supporting this product as I am currently researching it and alternatives, but it seems to be comparing apples to oranges here.

I make my own shakes from all organic fresh ingredients, and the cost runs from about $2 to $5, depending on what goes into it. Of course when I am broke, my $2 smoothie consists of kale, banana, hemp seed, oats and water, and although the flavour is less than desirable, I do get most of what I am personally looking for, though probably not what many people think they need. No currently available shake mix can compare to fresh whole foods, and Shakeology is nowhere near perfect, but I believe they have done a pretty good job.

My biggest concern when choosing a product is the quality of the ingredients and whether they are derived from whole food sources or not. I could be having the wool pulled over my eyes but Shakeology seems to be ahead of the game in this respect.

Visalus, in my opinion, is hardly comparable. The ingredient list includes some shady characters which I personally would never consider putting in my body, and would recommend that other people avoid as well. If you want to determine how healthy the products are that you are buying, you need to learn what ingredients are that are used as fillers and binders, as the ones used in cheap products are almost always harmful to you in the long run. Just because something makes you feel good now, does not mean it benefits your longterm health. Just look at cigarettes and coffee(bad references I know but I am trying to write this quickly).

As a side not, I have been Type 1 diabetic since I was 9 years old, so reading ingredients has become second nature to me and I usually follow the rule "if your grandma wouldn't understand the ingredient, then you shouldn't eat it." Of course my grandma would have no idea what spirulina or macca are, but I think you get the point.