If u offend easily pls don't read x

Options
shelley7890
shelley7890 Posts: 47 Member
I was seriously wondering if u would class sex or masterbation as exercise? And if u would what kind of sport could u put it under for the right calorie burn? I have googled this and there have been a lot of different views on this. The way I look at it u use ur arms legs back stomach chest muscles for this ur heart rate goes up so surely it would be a calorie burning exercise would it not?

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of personal choice. Hopefully, you're getting it on a regular basis. If you are, I would consider it a part of daily activity, and not log it. (And honestly, what are you burning? 100-200 cals?) I only log actual working out, but that's just me.

ETA: I guess it would depend on how vigorous it is. But how would you know what you're burning? (Hold that thought, baby. I need to adjust my HRM strap.)
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would be a calorie burn, but I would not classify it as exercise. Carrying in groceries from the car burns calories, but it too is not really exercise. It would be nearly impossible to keep track of every bit of extra calorie burn here or there. Thus, you have to choose the daily activity level as best as you can, and that includes the 'extracurricular activities.' Besides, would you really want someone who can see your log to know every time you masturbated or had sex?
  • shelley7890
    Options
    Hahaha good point Moose!This is why I asked what kind of exercise u can put it under lol. Hmmm a HRM is a good idea lol
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would say no, unless you do it excessively in order to burn those calories, haha. It's an everyday life kind of thing, like washing the dishes... sort of, haha.

I supposed you could turn it into an exercise if you wanted to, and if that's what works for you! Otherwise, I would not count those calories burned.
  • osuzorba
    osuzorba Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The company I used to worked for had access to some website that had calorie calculators for every type of activity you could think of. But under sex and *kitten* it would not provide any calculations, because they did not believe it was exercise. Their reasoning was you did not use a full range of motion and a lot of the heavy breathing/heart rate increase was a hormonal response, not a cardio type response.
  • shelley7890
    Options
    Oh I don't get that kind of exercise all the time it was something a friend bought up she does and didn't wanna post it so I'm asking. I wish it was a part of my daily life lol. I thought she had a good point so I put it out there for ppls opinions
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not doing anything in that respect that I wasn't doing when I gained weight, I chalk that up to regular activity and don't log it as exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If you can do it for a half hour straight with no break, then it's exercise. Of course telling your partner "come on honey, it's time for me to exercise and get my heart rate up" daily can ruin your sex life. It would get old after a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Their reasoning was you did not use a full range of motion and a lot of the heavy breathing/heart rate increase was a hormonal response, not a cardio type response.

This is a good point.
  • shelley7890
    Options
    That's interesting. I know from past experience I sometimes feel like I've done more of a work out abdominal wise after sex or masterbation. I know there is a six pack hiding under this fat Somewhere lol
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just keep it as part of my daily activity and leave it at that. Unless you go for hours, I wouldn't log it as anything. But that's just me. Hope you find your answer!
  • shelley7890
    Options
    It's defiantly exercise then
  • Hecnotha1
    Hecnotha1 Posts: 200
    Options
    it might feel like your burning alot, However ive read so many articles about this, and the maximum is around 45 calories. You might burn more throughout the course of the night as your body stay within a mid/high metabolic rate. but since we mostly f___ at night, your body's system is slightly slower,:noway:
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I know as a guy if you're properly going at it using the full motions etc (like from below moving upwards) you get an amazing ab workout haha. If you're doing that for 40 or so mins at varying degrees of pace you've gotta be burning something, what about all the sweat if you're really going at it haha
  • shelley7890
    Options
    It's all very helpful thanks
  • shelley7890
    Options
    This is my point slay0r lol
  • 2LoveAndHate
    2LoveAndHate Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Guess a vibrator would make it a non-exercise since I'm not doing any of the work?
  • Hecnotha1
    Options
    also if you are a "pick me up, and hold me against the wall type girl, then its really excersise, because i want to die after that lol cant breath and legs burn.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you can do it for a half hour straight with no break, then it's exercise. Of course telling your partner "come on honey, it's time for me to exercise and get my heart rate up" daily can ruin your sex life. It would get old after a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I think my husband would be all for it ;) He wouldn't care what the reason.
  • Hecnotha1
    Options
    Guess a vibrator would make it a non-exercise since I'm not doing any of the work?
    not necesarily. as long as your heart rate rises, those calories burn. might just be a tic-tac's worth of calories tho.