weight loss without drinking water?

Options
So I'm sure a lot of people will tell me off for this, but i dont drink my water, not a glass, I've tried several times but find myself forcing it down and can only manage 2 glasses a day when I do, i dont remember ever really being a "drinker", of any sort, I usually have 2 med coffee a day, and 2 small glasses of diet pepsi and thats it. Why am i struggling to drink water? I dont think I ever really drank more than what i currently do and I have the most beautiful clear skin and am not dehydrated. So my question is, will i suffer and not lose weight without the water intake?

Last year I dropped 18lbs (unfortunately gain it back and then some this year), But I would only consume 1/2 a bottle-1 bottle a day when I did lose the weight back then, and that was only during a work out, PLEASE HELP!

And for the people who will suggest the crystal lite stuff for water, I tried that and dont like that either.

And I have to make one more point, Ive been reading everyone saying if your hungry drink water, when i do, i swear, my body feels like its STARVING! LOL

* week one on mfp today and -2lbs :)

Replies

• cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So I'm sure a lot of people will tell me off for this, but i dont drink my water, not a glass, I've tried several times but find myself forcing it down and can only manage 2 glasses a day when I do, i dont remember ever really being a "drinker", of any sort, I usually have 2 med coffee a day, and 2 small glasses of diet pepsi and thats it. Why am i struggling to drink water? I dont think I ever really drank more than what i currently do and I have the most beautiful clear skin and am not dehydrated. So my question is, will i suffer and not lose weight without the water intake?

Last year I dropped 18lbs (unfortunately gain it back and then some this year), But I would only consume 1/2 a bottle-1 bottle a day when I did lose the weight back then, and that was only during a work out, PLEASE HELP!

And for the people who will suggest the crystal lite stuff for water, I tried that and dont like that either.

And I have to make one more point, Ive been reading everyone saying if your hungry drink water, when i do, i swear, my body feels like its STARVING! LOL

* week one on mfp today and -2lbs :)

Dear God, woman, we're the same person!! LOL! I *hate* water and find that I'm rarely thirsty. Sometimes it'll be 7pm and I'm like, "Um, I should probably drink something." I have to force myself to get my fluids in and drinking water seems to make me hungrier! I bring a 32oz. bottle of water to work with me telling myself I only have to drink two of them to get in my daily allowance. Can't do it. I'm lucky to get 3/4 of one down:/
  • alenakelly
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not the only one! :)
  • sixxbaby
    sixxbaby Posts: 543
    Options
    wow you two, I have no idea what to say I drink EASILY 100 ounces a day, I almost never drink anything but water...wow.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    wow you two, I have no idea what to say I drink EASILY 100 ounces a day, I almost never drink anything but water...wow.

I have a friend at work who goes through 64 ounces by 10/11am!! I'm so envious! Idk what my problem is, but I really wish I could rid myself of it.
  • Gshields42
    Options
    If you aren't drinking a lot of water, your body is going to conserve water instead of getting rid of it. This is called water retention, and can mean up to 5 extra pounds of water weight.

I can't stand diet soda, so I don't know how healthy a replacement for water it is in builk. Coffee is essentially herb flavored coffee, so should be okay (a lot of people will say different around here because it contains caffeine and is a diuretic, but I can't imagine it being that big a deal). Might want to see if you can develop a taste for unsweetened tea or such.

Beyond the water retention, the biggest problem you will run into is if you exercise or start to exert yourself heavily, you will need more fluid intake. Water is the best for dealing with it, but you can probably work around it.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    Woww... I can't eat without drinking something! My neighbor never drank much liquids either. We'd sit down for dinner (when i was little) and I'd have to ask for a drink because we'd be half way through and noone had anything to drink and they didn't want anything.
  • aaronburgess
    aaronburgess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too rarely drink water. I drink Diet Soda, Vitamin Water Zero, and PowerAid Zero. I've lost about 65lbs and have never really drank much water. But I do make it a rule to never drink caloric drinks. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them! I'm a male, 174lbs, 5'11 and have about 12-13%BF and have never drank water!

There are a bunch of theories about how much water you need.

My doctor told me that you should drink liquids when you are a thirsty. He also told me it doesn't matter what I eat as long I just keep my calories in check. If your caloric needs are 1700 calories a day and if you 1400 calories of just potato chips you will lose weight! My trainer disagrees with that but frankly she didn't go to medical school!
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like you. While I don't think it'll inhibit your weight loss I do think it makes exerting yourself difficult. Before I became hydrated I would feel like crap most of the time. When I first started working out I still wasn't drinking more than a glass of water a day and that's because I had to force myself to do it...otherwise I'd forget and go about my merry day.

Once I started doing more difficult workouts I felt like crap, just really dehydrated. I now bring a one litre bottle to work with me and fill it up in the morning. I drink the whole litre before I leave for the gym. I don't know how and when it became easy but it just did and it became a routine after 30+ years of not drinking the stuff.

Anyhow, try using a water bottle at work and tracking your water intake for a month. I hated the taste at first (strange I know) but now I get really thirsty and kind of crave it.
  • Gshields42
    Options
    They call this the twinkie diet, and it can work but can be unhealthy because of the lack of nutrients. You do need the carbs, proteins, and fats. You can probably get away with this for some length of time, but eventually the lack of nutrients will catch up with you. Fine to do from time to time if that is your thing, I guess, just don't subsist on it.
  • shanilyric
    Options
    -bluewave-water-jug--daily-8-1.9-liter-64-oz-bpa-free-reusable-bottle.jpg?v=1297951605000

Get a 64 ounce water jug and take it everywhere with you until you finish it. That's what I do, and I usually end up having around 14 cups of water per day. Believe me, you'll want to drink it more when you have to carry that big thing around all day.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    i can't stand the taste of water. i drink it and i get horrible indigestion and nausea. it's because it has no taste. i can drink 1 glass a day 8oz and it has to be water with ice in it. it has to be super cold. otherwise, i love milk. 2% is my fav. i have actually been drinking more 1% also. but it took me a long time to think of it as a lot of water with a drop of milk in it. non-fat, no way. i want to taste something.

usually i drink herbal tea, raspberry iced tea, v8 frusion, juice or watered down juice. but my water usually has to have something in it. otherwise, it's forced and it's ugh!!!
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had a real problem getting enough water until I did these things to it:
    1. Boil it
    2. Add Splenda to taste
    3. Flavour it with lemon juice.

HOT DAMN! It's hot lemonade, it tastes awesome and it's STILL water!

10 cups a day plus coffee if you want it... very very easy.
  • nancyinfernley
    Options
    14 cups a day? um ... i heard that you could actually flood your brain if you drink to much. there was a lady trying to win a game system for her kids that actually died from drinking to much water to fast. plus she said she brought a huge bottle and it didn't make any difference. she couldn't drink that much. some ppl just cannot.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I was you guys a few weeks ago... Except I don't drink caffeine at all. But I made myself drink it and now love it and drink at least 100 oz a day! :-) good luck. I lost 10 pounds literally soley because of the water (I reset my weight last week for the new year)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    It's drinking A LOT in a short amount of time... Your body can actually easily do 5 liters a day it's just throughout the day... Not in an hour!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    While drinking too much water can be dangerous, usually it takes a few gallons to cause any issues.

I have no trouble drinking over 100 oz a day. However, I agree that it does not fill me up AT ALL. Drinking water when I am hungry just makes me hungrier.

Another approach is having a certain amount of oz to drink every hour. An 8oz glass is not that big. Fill it up and tell yourself to finish one an hour. By the end of work you can have all your h2o in. It is a little less daunting than carting around a huge jug. After you get used to it, you will crave water.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would not worry about water. I think the 2 glasses you are getting is probably sufficient, along with water you normally get from your foods anyway. At best I can manage 5 or 6, and that is when I push myself. I think the recommendation of 8 glasses per day is overstated.

These articles were mentioned in another MFP post, and I think they are informative.

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • dreamingspider
    Options
    I find adding Miho to water makes it better. It has no calories and comes in several flavors. Hope that helps you.
  • Chevitz
    Chevitz Posts: 46
    Options
    I don't like water much either... and, in all honesty, when I went through my 97 lb loss in 2004 (it took 13 mos to lose it all), I maybe drank an 8 oz glass a day. Make that FORCED myself.
    After having 2 kids & nursing them both, water became a MUST for me. I still don't like it much at all but since I'm so close to my all time goal and want to maintain for decades, I know that I have to accept water into my daily life ;) I usually drink it as cold green tea. I have a 10oz glass and I make sure I drink 5 per day. Tea makes it actually have a taste. Lemon is good too, but it's tough on the enamel of your teeth and can harm them if you're drinking every glass, every day, with lemon. What about Crystal Light? The flavour packets that are calorie-wise (I believe only a couple of cals per glass) and they come in loads of flavours.
    I like my Diet Pepsi too, but I've read in a few places that diet pop can make cellulite more noticeable; I'm SO not down with that, so I have cut waaaaaay back on it!
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    your body will lose weight through urination.

You pee it out. So getting in water will help you lost weight.

If you have extra fat waiting to leave the body, your body can reabsorb it if it has no way to leave. Just thought I would share.