weight loss without drinking water?

Options

Replies

• rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    14 cups a day? um ... i heard that you could actually flood your brain if you drink to much. there was a lady trying to win a game system for her kids that actually died from drinking to much water to fast.

Right but she also didn't go to the bathroom while she was drinking all that water...that was why she died. Your body knows what to do with water if you take in too much at once.

I always drink at least 32 ounces a day while I'm at work, but then I'm talking all day and my voice gets dry. Add in my coffee and diet soda and I get plenty more than 64 ounces of liquids. That's not even counting the bottle and a half I go through when lifting weights.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Anyone can drink a good amount of water if you actually try to get used to it. I speak from experience. Water used to make me gag, literally. I drank it more and more until about 2 weeks into it I started to crave it. Just do it.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Try adding a few drops of lemon juice to your water... and use a straw.

Seriously, your body NEEDS water.
  • Gshields42
    Options
    14 cups a day? um ... i heard that you could actually flood your brain if you drink to much. there was a lady trying to win a game system for her kids that actually died from drinking to much water to fast.

Right but she also didn't go to the bathroom while she was drinking all that water...that was why she died. Your body knows what to do with water if you take in too much at once.

I always drink at least 32 ounces a day while I'm at work, but then I'm talking all day and my voice gets dry. Add in my coffee and diet soda and I get plenty more than 64 ounces of liquids. That's not even counting the bottle and a half I go through when lifting weights.

Actually, the problem with water toxicity (or overhydration, water poisoning, or the half dozen other names for it) is that eventually you overwhelm your bodies ability to deal with it. When you lose water through sweat or urine it takes small amounts on nutrients (particularly sodium) with it. Eventually, you will lose all the nutrients, and your body will not be able to retain any water. This will cause you to become dangerously dehydrated (ironically), and can result in losing consciousness or dying.

That said, it takes a fair amount of water to do this, and the only people that are at danger of doing this WITHOUT FORCING THEMSELVES TO OVER DRINK are athletes, particularly runners. Most marathons have medical personel trained to watch for the symptoms of water toxicity. If you continuously force yourself to drink water, this can happen to you.

The best way to deal with this is simply to just drink when your body tells you to. If you do this, it will regulate fairly well, though you can probably use a couple/few cups more a day than it actually asks for.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This just blows my mind. I drink so much water, I can't even keep up with logging it all. I'm surprised I haven't drowned :wink:

Our bodies NEED WATER.
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a mountain biker and back packer and a vegetarian and I cannot stand water! I try so hard to drink even a glass a day, but it makes me feel sick. I RARELY feel thirsty, even on long, hot adventures. My friend calls me "the camel." I am now 56 years old. When will this lack of water start hurting me???
  • sherrydd2
    Options
    I believe, not sure, that the human body is 70% water. Therefore, when we drink water, we release water. if we dont drink water, we hold on to it. that is y we might loose more lbs n the initial stage when drinking water. that call it water weight. also, when we skips meals, the body goes n2 starvation mode. it holds on 2 the fat. the more healithier we eat and drink, the more fat and water we loose. also water moves fat or washes away fat. water is also good for the body organs.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. What do you drink?

I feel thirsty all the time so I drink water.

Add some sf cordial or something if you want to change the flavour.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of water either. I ended up getting hooked on Vitamin Water by accident, though, so I hope that can sub for it for now. That's about as close as I can get.
  • fuzzimama
    Options
    Most of the year the only time I drink plain water is if I have to take a tablet LOL. Also, when we go out I take a water bottle, but at home its pretty much hot drinks all the time.

I drink tea, herbal tea, coffee, and the occasional milo.

So, yes, you definitely can lose weight, 'cause I've lost 15lbs and I'm still losing. I'm also never dehydrated and I drink at least 2.5L of 'water' per day (in tea etc.). It's an old wives tale that tea and coffee dehydrate you (don't know about people with medical conditions, but your average person hydrates drinking those), and its also not true that not drinking water (in some form) will make you retain water. Judging by how quickly two cups of tea goes through (apologies for the tmi, but it is to illustrate a point), my body is extremely efficient at separating out the water from the tea (as it is from our food as well - hence why we don't need as much water if we eat a lot of 'wet' food).
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    your body will lose weight through urination.

You pee it out. So getting in water will help you lost weight.

If you have extra fat waiting to leave the body, your body can reabsorb it if it has no way to leave. Just thought I would share.

We pee out fat?
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same as you! I was just like, I don't need water, I don't get thirsty, I'm not dehydrated. Truly I wasn't,but the problem is that all the coffee and diet soda has caffeine, which can dehydrate you if you drink too much, but it takes a lot; the real,problem is it can just make you feel like crap! And you don't even know you feel that way! Try just for a week, drinkin nothing but water. Have A cup of coffee in the.morning if you must, but other than that, force it down, use flavoring, but no soda or caffeine. I PROMISE you will feel so much better! You'll have more energy, you'll sleep better...and you wont believe that you felt crappy before. Its worth it, if not for health, but for more energy.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    your body will lose weight through urination.

You pee it out. So getting in water will help you lost weight.

If you have extra fat waiting to leave the body, your body can reabsorb it if it has no way to leave. Just thought I would share.

We pee out fat?

I'm thinking (read "hoping") she meant peeing out extra water.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I believe, not sure, that the human body is 70% water. Therefore, when we drink water, we release water. if we dont drink water, we hold on to it. that is y we might loose more lbs n the initial stage when drinking water. that call it water weight. also, when we skips meals, the body goes n2 starvation mode. it holds on 2 the fat. the more healithier we eat and drink, the more fat and water we loose. also water moves fat or washes away fat. water is also good for the body organs.

...I don't even...you should do your research before you give advice. Hope I didn't sound *****y saying that, but this is just wrong.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like you. While I don't think it'll inhibit your weight loss I do think it makes exerting yourself difficult. Before I became hydrated I would feel like crap most of the time. When I first started working out I still wasn't drinking more than a glass of water a day and that's because I had to force myself to do it...otherwise I'd forget and go about my merry day.

Once I started doing more difficult workouts I felt like crap, just really dehydrated. I now bring a one litre bottle to work with me and fill it up in the morning. I drink the whole litre before I leave for the gym. I don't know how and when it became easy but it just did and it became a routine after 30+ years of not drinking the stuff.

Anyhow, try using a water bottle at work and tracking your water intake for a month. I hated the taste at first (strange I know) but now I get really thirsty and kind of crave it.

I'm like this too... I used to hate water with a passion... now i crave it.. i carry a metal water bottle with me EVERYWHERE... if you don't like crystal light... do you have specific flavors you DO like? lemon lime? I prefer lime over lemon, add either fresh or from a squeeze bottle and some stevia... for you, i would say any sugar free sweetener you could stand would be far better then no water! :) you can actually get all sorts of flavors of stevia... root beer flavor, chocolate flavor etc... i never used to drink water, and I too now crave it like mad...I usually get anywhere from 80 oz a day to 150 or so! It DOES help the body... try it as cold as you can too!
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting up fruit and putting it in your water. Take pitcher and put in whatever fruit you like. It helps give water taste. I don't drink much either. I have to force myself to drink liquids.
  • houstonjohn
    Options
    You have to drink water. Your body is 70% water. It is needed in all basic function including protein synthesis. When your body digests water it burns calories creating a calorie deficit. Water also fills you up allowing you to eat a little less. It is very unhealthy to not drink a good amount of water!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    14 cups a day? um ... i heard that you could actually flood your brain if you drink to much. there was a lady trying to win a game system for her kids that actually died from drinking to much water to fast. plus she said she brought a huge bottle and it didn't make any difference. she couldn't drink that much. some ppl just cannot.

Things like that are extreme, and I think that one is a myth. As far as 14 cups a day, I can do that too. The key is tepid water and 8-12oz per waking hour. Since I am awake about 14 hours a day or more, it is completely doable...I just pee alot...like all the time. Drives me nuts.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swapping a soda or coffee for a water? Or 'you're not allowed ur soda/cofffee until you've had a glass of water?

Also, sip it constantly rather than having a whole glass at a time?
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've always loved water and disliked sweet, sugary drinks. I also drink milk and tea but I hate soda and juice. I drink about 10-16 cups of water a day.