How Do you Read?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the feeling of the pages and all of that. I love that too, but I also have a Nook. I pick and choose what books I want to be able to hold and the ones that will be fine on my Nook. My poetry, short stories, and mythology books are all hardbound while other books that are series I buy for my Nook....But that's just me:)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle, and I like the convenience of it and being able to get a book instantly. The other thing I like is not having to deal with being on the awkward side of the page or at the end when it's hard to just fold the book in half to see your page. I do enjoy sitting down with a real book too, though. The kindle just doesn't have the same feeling, but I do love the convenience.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I read books with paper pages.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Usually in the tub. And I read a chapter in bed before going to sleep.

^^^ in the tub! i spend hours in the tub reading

also, i use to try not to crease my books and keep the cover flat so i'd barely open them when reading them haha but now i abuse the hell out of my books i underline, write notes in the margins, bend the pages back...they're well loved
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I read books of all shapes and sizes for 40+ years but my hubby got tired of being buried in books so when the kindle came out he got me the first one, since then I've had each generation now I have a Kindle touch and I love it. After reading 1,000s of books the kindle is my first love, I have find free books if I'm broke or buy my favorite authors when I have the cash. I was terrible at the library thing, check out 6 books take them back read 3 days later. Now I just zap a book and start reading, Kindle, asus tablet and my phone, lol, and they all sync to each other so if one gets left home I just load it up on the other one and read on, can you do that when you forget your book. We ride motorcycles on road trips, my hubby appreciates not have to share the tourpack with a bunch of books, lol.
  • ItsAliciaMarie
    Options
    Okay, so there have been threads on what your reading and threads on the Kindle and such but I wanna know how you read a book.

Me, I love to buy books. I love the way the pages feel and I like turning them. I like flipping the tops to save my spot and being able to write or highlight in them if there a part i dont want to forget.

Lots of people are buying Kindles and Nooks but are they really worth it? I have a book of Grimm Fairy tales and a poetry book that my grandmother wrote in. I love to see her handwritting it makes all more special to me....if she would have given me an ebook would it have felt the same? I dont think so.

But I have been thinking about getting a kindle for daily reading. I just down loaded a book on to my phone and find it harder to read.....

So how do you read a book?

On my kindle you can highlight things you like. I dont really have any books with sentimental value so it was an easy switch. The books are usually cheaper wich works out for me because I read A LOT. They have a ton of 99cent books that while its hit and miss have introduced me to some new authors I really enjoy.Read a book on the phone is going to suck,but the kindle is perfect it even looks like a real book page to me. I could care less about the smell of books to me thats like knowing a strippers life story,not what im spending my money on. Ive cut what I spend in a month on books in half.

Same with me.... I highlight and take notes just the same as I do in a regular book with my kindle. I love being able tto search any author/book and finding it instantly and being able to start reading right away also. I think its also nice when you read more than one book at a time, like I always seem to do. You don't have to carry them around. I have all of my current books on one device!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Right to left.

Top to bottom.

Try not to move my lips.

"It's called reading, top to bottom, left to right, group words together as a sentence, take tylenol for any headaches, midol for any cramps" - Tommy Boy :bigsmile:

One of my most cherished items is my Laura Ingalls Wilder book set that my aunt gave me as a child. It makes me smile just thinking about it. I'm not sure an ebook would have the same emotional impact. Actually, I'm positive it wouldn't.

Though I do think ebooks are fine for reading, I can conjurer up the smell of a used bookstore but a kindle just doesn't do that for me.

My husband and I meet 18 years ago online. His handwritten letters to me are the ones I still have. I didn't print his emails because seeing his handwriting makes the letters more dear to me.

I'm a huge tech geek. When I got divorced 19 years ago my father offered to buy me a car and I asked for a computer instead. The ex had taken both. That said there is just something about the feel of an actual book in my hands.
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I love Real books, but when I'm under the covers with my flashlight reading, so I don't bother hubby, I ponder an EBook. And not having so many books and magazines around would be nice.
  • wijac10
    wijac10 Posts: 47
    Options
    i have hundreds of books, i love books.. real books. however, everytime i travel it seems like my suitcase is pushing the weight limits.. thanks to books. maybe i should consider getting an eReader for that purpose.