So I went to the lady doctor yesterday

Options

Replies

• agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My gyno is a female. She did bring up my weight, but it had some relevance to some female issues (i.e. irregular period). So I wasn't bothered by it. But every year after at my appointments she'd make a couple simple suggestions, but I didn't feel like she was badgering me. If anything, I felt bad for disappointing her having gained weight. The only thing I don't really like is they weigh and find you on the bmi chart. One nurse was tracing her finger across it after she weighed me, I was thinking "UH, THANK YOU?!"

However, my GP is a male. My mom and I both attend the same GP. My mom asked him why he never says anything about her weight. He said something to the effect of "To be honest, most doctors are not doing it anymore for legal reasons. That he's heard patients say if they want help with it, they'll ask for it." I do kind of wish they would ask, so it doesn't feel like it's not a big deal.

I haven't needed to go to the doctor for almost a year, so I am interested to know when/if I go if she or he will comment.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. Fortunately my gynecologist is a totally amazing doctor. I really wish many more doctors could be like her.

Even when I was at my heaviest (246) she always treated me with respect, listened to what I had to say, and didn't blame issues I was having on my weight. When I brought up my weight and the desire to lose some, her response was that my weight was stable and all my health indicators were good, so, while it was a good idea, she wasn't really concerned.

I've seen her twice since I started losing weight. The first year I had lost about 40 pounds. She made lots of positive comments, asked me what I was doing, and was generally very encouraging. She even said that my results rivaled those of LapBand patients.

This year when I saw her she made even more complimentary and encouraging comments as I have now lost 80 pounds and am only about 15 pounds from a "healthy" BMI.

She is a truly exceptional doctor and surgeon though. She asks about your life in general as well as basic health questions. She even keeps notes as she'll ask about things you've mentioned before. ("Are you still enjoying participating in that activity?", "How is your cat?", etc.) She really does keep track of your overall health and stress levels as well as the usual gynecological concerns.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    GYNECOLOGIST!!!

Not a lady doctor.

For the love of god, people!!!!!!!!!! :noway:

Yes, yes and yes!!! You can stop hiding ladies, we know you have a vagina. It's okay. Really, it is.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    GYNECOLOGIST!!!

Not a lady doctor.

Yes, yes and yes!!! You can stop hiding ladies, we know you have a vagina. It's okay. Really, it is.

LMAO! :laugh:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My own doc told me that most docs are afraid to speak directly to someone's weight issue unless they THEMSELVES bring it up -- mostly because they have lost patients who were offended and didn't come back to see them again. I think this goes for most "sensitive" issues that docs are faced with.

Most good docs want their patients to keep coming back to get CONSISTENT medical care — even at the risk of avoiding a potentially important issue. For most of them, I think it's about making sure that the patients who might be the most vulnerable (b/c of obesity, bad/no healthcare coverage, dangerous lifestyles, etc.) are at least being seen regularly by someone who can help.

There'll always been those docs who are in it just for the CA$H — but I think there's always that 5% of crazy no matter what issue you're talking about. :wink:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    GYNECOLOGIST!!!

Not a lady doctor.

OH, thank GOD. **wipes brow** I get so tired of pretending I have a penis. :love:
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My own doc told me that most docs are afraid to speak directly to someone's weight issue unless they THEMSELVES bring it up -- mostly because they have lost patients who were offended and didn't come back to see them again. I think this goes for most "sensitive" issues that docs are faced with.

I kinda don't get this sort of attitude. I really want my doctor to tell me the truth, regardless of my feelings because my health is important. I wish people would stop hiding behind issues and take it for the fact that if a doctor brings it up (without being rude anyway) then they are concerned about your health. I have always faced the fact that I'm big and the fact that my doctor and I can talk about it makes me feel good, because they SHOULD care. I understand some people are sensitive, but being sensitive can sometimes lead to never fixing a health problem..whatever it might be.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My extraordinary gynecologist was practically jumping up and down at my success. He does take the time to review all the details of previous visits on my chart and follows up with me on all aspects of my health. Of course a gem like this does not accept insurance as he refuses to run the high volume practice that medical insurance dictates these days. But he continues to save my life and so I continue to help save his practice.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Mine made it Avery clear point to tell me three or four times how overweight I am and was not professional about it. At the time I was trying to lose weight and had already lost a few. Even after telling her I was working on it and my progress she mentioned it two or three more times
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I find it funny how they'll ask you all kind of random questions, like do I wake in the night to urinate? really you beleive that is important but losing weight isn't?
    [/quote

lmao What?!? That's hilarious.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    So went to the doctor yesterday for the yearly lady appointment and weighed in at 217, fully clothed with these beautiful Bandolino boots I bought myself for my birthday. Last year at the lady appointment I weighed 281, just shy of my highest. My doctor really didn't comment on my weight at either appointment. That kind of pisses me off. Anyone's lady doctor do this? Or the reverse? He's been the only doctor I've seen in the last 5+ years as I don't have a GP.

I've been going to my same doctor, a female, for about twenty years now. I think I was around 275 when I first went.. got down to 225 over the years.. up again to about 290.. back down to about 245.. and the most recent was up again to 315. She has NEVER said anything about my weight. Before it didn't really annoy me... but now that I'm 50 and I'm starting to get into that whole other "fun" part of my life, I would really think she'd finally say SOMETHING!!! Not that I need her to tell me I'm overweight.. I know that. But my blood work and vitals are all spot on in the normal range so I guess she doesn't see a problem.

Time for a new doctor... I don't care how long I've gone to her, I need someone a little more proactive than that. Sometimes one needs a slap in the face, and who better than your doctor!
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    My doctor never mentioned my weight... then again I am thinner than she is.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Most good docs want their patients to keep coming back to get CONSISTENT medical care — even at the risk of avoiding a potentially important issue. For most of them, I think it's about making sure that the patients who might be the most vulnerable (b/c of obesity, bad/no healthcare coverage, dangerous lifestyles, etc.) are at least being seen regularly by someone who can help.

There'll always been those docs who are in it just for the CA$H — but I think there's always that 5% of crazy no matter what issue you're talking about. :wink:

Agree with the point about docs staying away from the subject of weight to allow you to come see them no matter what the scale says.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i had the reverse, kinda. winter 2010 i weighed in at 235, my highest and i got a talking to about my weight. went back this past summer, i was around 205-210 and granted it was the NP rather than the doc but no comment the second time
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why doctors don't mention weight issues. It doesn't make sense to me that something that could cause such dangerous health issues is not even mentioned.

I just assume it is
    1.) They aren't supposed to. ....sicker people mean more $$$
    2.) They have taken enough abuse from patients to just stop saying anything, assuming people KNOW they have a weight problem, and wanting to keep patients - again with the $$$
    3.) They are so pressed for time, that they simply deal with the problems that are the most pressing or that the patient is concerned about.

It makes no sense, no matter what the reason. I have cured all my health issues by cleaning up my diet, exercising, and losing 50 pounds. So the $$$ should follow prevention, in my book.

That was the first thing my doctor mentioned.............getting my weight down. He told me he doesn't like being a pill pusher and it goes against the Hippocratic oath he took when he became a doctor.

My doctor believes in the saying...........Let thy food be thy medicine and let thy medicine be thy food. ~Hippocrates
  • petersoncl
    Options
    My doctor does not comment on weight because he says he has no room to talk, he is very large.
  • caliqd
    caliqd Posts: 24
    Options
    This is when we wish we had the balls to say " well since you know everything about me including my weight I think I should know all about you and your weight and next year we will compare notes doc" lol My head thinks it but if only I could say it... Because really we are trusting these people with our health, we should know about their habits and health as well- Right? :) Keep it up your doing great!!!
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I do find it funny that no one ever says anything now. I remember my last dr appt with my family doctor before I lost my health insurance that they asked me about my weight loss. I was 22 and helping my mom on her way to lose 110lbs. I hadn't really lost but maybe 5lbs and had toned up. They asked me if I had been dieting. I actually hadn't changed my eating habits as I have always generally eaten healthy stuff, but they told me to keep up the working out.

When I went to my lady dr a year ago, she asked me if I was working out but did not meantion my weight even though I was 144 at 5'3. Granted that was after a week of high stress and no eating.

I do not get why they don't say anything in general. We'll see what my new lady dr. says in a couple weeks.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Mine was only during pregnancy. With daughter 1, after her birth, the doctor said " I expect to see you back in a few months...at your old size". ( which was 110-115)

With daughter 2, my new OB said " you know.. you can eat a burrito, you just don't have to eat the whole thing". It was actually in a funny tone, and I did not take it personally, as I was gaining too quickly toward the end. (which is not healthy and caused high blood pressure)

Anyway. Doc 1 was an *kitten*, and doc 2 was actually caring and helped me a lot. I have never been overweight, but having babies has made me bigger than I am used to.

In my opinion, if the doctor/nurse is going to take the time to weigh you, they should take the time to review their records and talk with you. :)
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I went last week and he noticed right away and gave me a two thumbs up.