Does anyone else hate being called vuluptuous?

Options

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I like it and curvacious.

I think has to do with a few elements like how I feel about myself and the tone in which the person commenting is saying.

Anything can be made a bad word if the intention is to hurt. But if it's said in appreciation of curves or my natural figure, I don't take offense.

I love my curves, no matter how much I lose or how defined and firm my muscles get, I will always have a bubbly butt, thick thighs and an itty bitty waist. No amount of working out will make those any less, they'll just be more defined.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Size 12 is not a plus size, at least not in America. It's FAR from it! Plus size where I buy starts at size 18. Size 12 is actually in the "normal" departments of the stores making it NOT plus size. Maybe where your from it's different, IDK.

Depends I guess. Size 12 isn't small.

But where do you draw the line of being overweight? Most people's vision of overweight is grossly wrong. Mine was.

Anything past US 6 & UK 10 is plus size. That is why anyone over those sizes in the modelling industry is plus sized model.
    To me, anything over 140lbs if they're untoned & flabby is overweight.
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    you size 14 is our 12

It's not, I buy american clothes, I'm a sixteen, I get a US 12, they are always converted to 16.
  • sassyN1989
    Options
    your off on your uk and us size conversions.
  • hcgdarling
    hcgdarling Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had an old coworker I hadn't seen in awhile say wow I didn't recognize you...your so volupuous. I said really, I didn't think my boobs were that big. That is what I thought she meant. Come to find out she meant wow, your fat. UGH!! How RUDE!!!
  • sassyN1989
    Options
    then look at a size chart. I just looked at three different ones that say the same thing.
  • paigemarie93
    Options
    your off on your uk and us size conversions.

I'm really not, not when I wear those sizes....
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with being called voluptuous.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think men quite often mean it as a nice way of saying curvy, whereas women mean it as a polite way of saying your fat!
  • mrsscullion
    mrsscullion Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No one's ever said that to me, lol. I would love it!
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    Hahaha I used to have a friend who always called me voluptuous. She was always grabbing my boobs too, so I'm pretty sure she meant it as a compliment...
  • ChrystalHeenan
    Options
    I love it!
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The word itself is a good thing, it's the way and kind of person who says it that makes it complimentary or hurtful. Curvy is nice too.

I like being called voluptuous, but have been called so very few times. I'd rather be called that than rubenesque, or fluffy, or big and beautiful.
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nah. I'm voluptuous even when I'm not overweight. :) Da butt and da boobs stay put.
  • MrsGreen1985
    MrsGreen1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've always hated it, although it is a nice way to say fat it does seem like there saying something nasty to you without actually saying it. I already have low self a steem because of the excess weight and that just makes me feel worse about myself
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I'd rather be voluptuous - brings to mind 40's pinup and Marilyn Monroe to me

^^^ THIS!!
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think how you interpret it says a little about how you feel about your own self image.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I have mixed feeling about both "vuluptuous" and "curvy". I think mainly because for some people both are a polite euphenism for fat. I do think the true meaning of both is beautiful on women who are healthy (and I also think athletic and willowy builds are also beautiful when healthy). (But since I am a herterosexual woman, I doubt it matters to most women what I find attractive!)

I do take it as a compliment if I believe the person means it in the classic, "good" way ala Marilyn, Bettie, Sophie Vargas or Beyonce, etc. I do naturally have an hourglass type shape when thinner as I store fat in my chest and hips so they are always about the same with a smaller waist. When heavier, I think I actually look less curvy as the extra weight in my waist makes me more box shaped. So I take curvy as a compliment meaning I am looking less box-like at the moment unless I think the person means it in the "fat" way.

But when I describe a women as either this "c-word" or "v-word", I mean she has a curvy hip to waist ratio and she might have prominent breasts as well. A women can by curvy and over weight, or she might be slim and curvy, or anything in between. Though I admit, if I use the Volumptuous it usually implies breasts and hips (and usually a small amount of plumpness) and Curvy can just be the hips (and can be slimmer).

Confusing? :-)
  • laura11102
    Options
    google defines it as follows:

vo·lup·tu·ous / Adjective: 1.Of, relating to, or characterized by luxury or sensual pleasure.
    2.(of a woman) Curvaceous and sexually attractive.

I think sexually attractive is a good complement. Question is, does the person saying it know what it means?:flowerforyou:
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    HATE it. Hate "curvy" too but that is because my personal perception of the two words is "fat". :ohwell: I realize that's my own problem though so I try not to be offended if i'm referred to that way. . . . Then I hit the gym extra hard that night. :laugh: