Exercising ALONE

Options
1235»

Replies

• Ashmoten
    Options
    I don't like it either. For two reasons. I be in my on zone so I don't want to be bother, for one. Two, I don't want to see you doing better then me. LOL! :tongue:
  • TubbyGill
    Options
    It depends on the mood I'm in. I go walking, but I always feel it's wasted if I don't take a dog with me too! I call Dora, my Bernese Mt Dog, my personnal trainer. Even if I'm feeling lazy, she will make eyes at me until I get off my butt. But if I'm doing a major hill walk, I prefer to leave the dog at home and go with a human friend.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out alone, I typically work out every AM before everyone else gets up (Mon-Fri). The only time I do workout with somneone is when my husband or one of the kids go with me to walk the dogs.

But generally speaking - when I go to the gym or workout in my "At home Gym" I've always preferred to be alone. No distractions and I can focus.
  • buddy529
    buddy529 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to be okay with working out with my friends at the gym because we used it as motivation, though it sometimes got annoying when one particular friend turned everything into a competition and always tried to one-up everyone else...that was no fun. But after they gave up on working out about three months ago and I was the last one standing, I LOVED IT! Hahaha. I just throw on my headphones, crank up my MP3 player and work my little heart out.
  • ingbaden
    Options
    My workout time has always been "my time". I do take a pi/yo class but that is the only time I actually work out with people per se. I had a friend who at one point went to my gym and she would get really upset when we didn't do the same things and when she couldn't keep up. It was not conducive to my workout and my time at all.

My best friend just joined my gym. I wanted to be encouraging but was very hesitant at first. Thankfully she is totally good with just plugging into her music and doing her own thing.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I only workout alone, I get more done, I workout at home. I prefer this for sure!
  • Lady_Senie
    Lady_Senie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to gyms, so any exercising I do is right in my living room. All by my lonesome.

I'm very aware of what I must look like when I do my DVD's or - lately, my MAX Workouts - and I don't want ANYONE to see me like that. I sweat profusely from EVERYWHERE, gasp like I'm in the process of having a heart attack, sometimes cry in the middle of the lifts after a few sets... But that's okay, 'cause it's just me and Jesus pushing through the pain. The most my husband gets to see is the aftermath - when my heart rate is pushing 200+ and I'm desperately trying to catch my breath and roll/stretch my sore muscles. He loves me dearly, and I feel the same about him, so why in the world would I want to subject him to me hurting myself? Even if it IS for my own good??

Oh, and I purposefully work out before the butt-crack of dawn now so I don't traumatize my 2-year-old. That and I just KNOW he'd be getting into my weights and dropping them on his foot or something else crazy. He's the kid that would try to trip me during my Tae Bo workouts so that my attention stayed on him. He's a bit of an attention hog and I just can't do my exercises and keep an eye on my little busy-body. Fun fact: when I put him in his high chair or playpen, he cries, whines, or screams like someone is attempting to murder him with a rusty spoon, till mommy can't take it anymore!

No, alone is for me. A friend even invited me to go to her gym for a Zumba class and I had to turn her down. I prefer to keep my jelly rolls, tattered exercise clothes, and total lack of gym self-esteem all to myself ^_^
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    Ok... when you're over weight and next to someone you like it's hard. I think of everything that moves that really should not be moving and I limit my self. I do however like at least going with someone so I don't feel all alone....just not right next to that person especially if they like are super hipper when they work out and it makes you look like ****.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I can NOT exercise to my fullest potential with others onlooking. I have my husband normally watch tv in our bedroom while I work out in the living room for 20-30 minutes. It's so normal to us, he doesn't mind. We did in the past go on walking trips though for exercise and that was fine with me.
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't mind running with someone or going to the gym with them as long as they don't try to talk to me while I'm doing my thing! I just like to listen to my music and focus. But having a buddy to call up makes me feel more committed.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    nope no guilt here, i exercise alone! work better that way. Its 'my' time to chillout and relax. saying that, i go out once a week with my running club and really enjoy it. start off with a pace group and then continue on my own.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Used to be that way. I was embrassed and sad. I didn't want others to see me. About 50 lbs. into losing I became less self-conscious about what others thought and starting going out and doing whatever. Eventually I stop being sad and started being awesome instead. True story.

Friends sometimes still don't believe me that I go to Zumba class. 25-30 women, and 3 guys. Me, this really young guy who is really good and sometimes the Zumba instructor gets jealous of with the way he rocks his hips, and this older gentlemen in his 60's. I don't care that I suck, I have fun and enjoy it.

I do jog alone with just my music.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I do prefer exercising alone because I have a structured training program & I'm pretty self-directed. I'm a total Type A personality so I want my exercise to be efficient. I like to get it done so I can carry on with the rest of my daily life.

I'm not TOTALLY inflexible though...I love to support any of my friends & family who want to exercise & it doesn't bother me to go along with them for a workout. I still do my scheduled workouts solo though, & count the exercise with a friend as bonus activity. That way I don't worry about trying to complete whatever I've scheduled for myself to do, & I can just have fun exercising with my friend. :smile:
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Eventually I stop being sad and started being awesome instead. True story.
    Confirmed.
  • CatEyes27
    Options
    I don't think there's a wrong way to do this. If you are more comfortable working out by yourself, then do so. If you are more comfortable in a group, then by all means join a group. It's an individual journey and you have to figure out what works for you. I like to work out alone. It's my "me" time. I'm around people all day at work and need that alone time to recharge not only my body but my mind. The important point is that you are doing what you need to do for yourself.
  • simplymily
    Options
    I like working out alone!!!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out alone too. And I hate working out at the gym. Not only am I self concious (why do other people's workout clothes look sooooo much cooler than mine?), but to do cardio, I need some form of entertainment on the TV to keep my mind busy instead of focusing on "how much longer do I have to do this." The TV at the gym is ALWAYS on something I don't want to watch. So I DVR movies and watch them while I walk/run on my treadmill. I can get into the zone and in no time, I've done 60 minutes.