Options
    Hi,
    would like some help please, very interested:

Me 6" 0"
    294 lbs
    1860 calories per day
    GW 185 lbs

thank you in advance

Set your daily calories to 2200 and spike at 4000-4500.

Thank you, should i keep everything above the same if my activity is sedentary...

If I know someone is sedentary I will set them on the low side of things. You could go 2,000 and spike at 4,000 to be safe.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    So...if you don't eat your exercise cals and have a spike day once a week, surely this is the same as eating your exercise calories throughout the week to ensure you don't dip?

*confused*

It's not the same at all.

The reason our metabolism slows down, "starvation mode", is because the hormone leptin declines when have several days of calorie restriction. Even when we eat back exercise calories, we are still in a deficit and leptin will still decline. The only way to get leptin levels back up is to consume a calorie surplus for a day, hence Spike Day. It actually spikes leptin levels, mood, and metabolism.

Exactly!
  • angie_04
    angie_04 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Also hoping for spike day advice. I'm currently doing a weight loss challenge and the spike day scares me a little as I'm trying to get the biggest bang (highest weight loss) for my buck over the next few months. Sunday was my 1st weigh in and lost 5 lbs.--love it but I don't want to plateau. I also don't want to spike on the weekends since Sunday afternoon is my weigh in, but I guess Monday spike days would help take away the Monday blahs.

Stats: 5'7
    223 lbs.
    BMR 1693

MFP has a base caloric goal for me of 1320. I am exercising 5-6 days per week, and may eat a very few of the calories back, but not many.

Having more to lose and also to speed things up, you can probably get away with keeping your calories where you have them now........1300-1400 and spike at 3000-3200.

I'm kind of the same ^

cw @ 235
    5'8"
    BMR is 1829
    mfp has me at 1390 cals a day, I do eat back exercise cals sometimes...Thx in adv:wink:
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Just done the maths for me at the moment my BMR is around 2,500

so 6*BMR + 1* double BMR in = 20,000 cal/week in
    BMR*1.2 + exercise (about 5,000) = 26,000 cal/week out

so should lose about 2lb per week on this. A nice steady rate and if my mindset was correct for this pattern it sounds a good way plus I would be improving my health with the exercise I am doing and would be doing on the spike84 plan.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm interested!!
    I'm 5'3.75" and I weigh about 119 lbs. I'm in maintenance and don't want to lose any weight. I am set to eat 1800 cal's per day and I am eating my exercise calories back, well trying to eat at least 1/2. I actually normally end up netting about 1200 to 1600 under my goal weekly. I'm still losing. I just weighed in this morning and I've lost .5.
    I don't go over 12,600 cal's per week. (1800 times 7)
    I work out 3-5 day's a week and burn an average of 170 cal's per burn (this is an estimate because there is no accurate calculator for Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 or P90X Ab Ripper X). I haven't started lifting yet which I do plan on doing soon.
    So where would my numbers land? Have I even given you enough info??
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    think I am getting the hang of this

go for 6 days of 1575 (12,600/8)
    and 1 day of 3150

That will hit your 12,600
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Ok how about for me? 5'4" 176lbs, 30 year old F....1,200 allowance + 500 for exclusively breastfeeding? I am currently not working out as I had surgery and am waiting for the all clear from my Dr.

That was one of my favorite things about breastfeeding..having to eat, because the baby had to eat, lol. When I breastfed I was a freaking eating machine. :P
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump!! To read later :)
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    what should I do?
    My bmr is 1637
    I'm 5'4" CW 211
    Want to lose 1-2 lb a week.

At the minute mfp has me eating 1510 cals.
    I am doing 30 day shred 5 days a week go to proper zumba class 1he once a week and doing 2-3 zumba workouts on the Wii burning approx 600 cals at a time. I don't eat back exercise cals.

So far have lost 19 lbs in 7 weeks
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    think I am getting the hang of this

go for 6 days of 1575 (12,600/8)
    and 1 day of 3150

That will hit your 12,600

Thanks!! Now, one more question, do I eat my exercise cal's?
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    5'3", female
    CW: 169
    GW: 145
    Calories set at 1500/day (BMR is 1531)
    Workout 6x a week, burning 400-500 cals

What would you set my daily cals and spike day at? And should I eat back calories burned?

Thanks for your help!
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I never eat back exercise calories, some of you who do, I honestly don't see how you do it, and still lose weight. If I did it noway would I lose weight. I tried it and it didn't workout for me! I just broke my stand still, I have been at for awhile. I actually added in two spike days, these past few weeks. I used to work for a gym and this is a common method that some people use, like some people who body build. So anyway I weighed in today, I'm down almost 3 pounds. So far so good! There is no way I would have done this when I was first starting out. One day going above my food goals, could have caused me to go over on other days. I guess it depends on if your weak or not. I'm going on 5 months now, and this month has been my first spike! I don't know if I will do it every week. More thank like very two. I'm 4'11 and my body takes a lot of work to get results.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Also hoping for spike day advice. I'm currently doing a weight loss challenge and the spike day scares me a little as I'm trying to get the biggest bang (highest weight loss) for my buck over the next few months. Sunday was my 1st weigh in and lost 5 lbs.--love it but I don't want to plateau. I also don't want to spike on the weekends since Sunday afternoon is my weigh in, but I guess Monday spike days would help take away the Monday blahs.

Stats: 5'7
    223 lbs.
    BMR 1693

MFP has a base caloric goal for me of 1320. I am exercising 5-6 days per week, and may eat a very few of the calories back, but not many.

Thank you so much in advance! It's very kind of you to be helping everyone out on here!
    If Sunday's are you weigh-in day, definitely Spike on Mondays. As you continue spiking you'll see the pattern in your weight - it is highest the day immediately following your Spike due to the extra food & water retention. It will drop pretty steadily through the week as you get back to eating at a deficit & exercising, & typically be it's lowest the day before you spike,
  • 4theking
    Options
    what should I do?
    My bmr is 1637
    I'm 5'4" CW 211
    Want to lose 1-2 lb a week.

At the minute mfp has me eating 1510 cals.
    I am doing 30 day shred 5 days a week go to proper zumba class 1he once a week and doing 2-3 zumba workouts on the Wii burning approx 600 cals at a time. I don't eat back exercise cals.

So far have lost 19 lbs in 7 weeks
    Congrats on your weight loss so far. I would keep calories where you already have them set and spike one day a week at 3000.
  • 4theking
    Options
    5'3", female
    CW: 169
    GW: 145
    Calories set at 1500/day (BMR is 1531)
    Workout 6x a week, burning 400-500 cals

What would you set my daily cals and spike day at? And should I eat back calories burned?

Thanks for your help!

Keep calories where they are and eat 3000 on spike day. The only time I recommend eating back any exercise calories, is when people are doing crazy amounts of training....so in your case no, don't eat them.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Bump (so I don't lose this thread again! :-)
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    An interesting read - bumping for reference :)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm very intrigued by this concept. I had my BMR tested at Kaiser and it was 1480 (very close to MFP's calculator of 1481). The person who did my test suggested I eat 1762 cals a day (based on daily activity level and exercise) to create a 500 cal daily deficit. I did all that for a week and was good until Friday (night before weigh-in) when I kept eating and eating at dinner!

My only concern about spiking is that I'd be tempted to eat more on my non-spike days.... or eating too much on my spike day for that matter.

And are there certain exercises/workouts that work better for spiking?

Thank you!
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump