Needing Dessert Every Night

Options
I'm on 1310 calories a day and I don't find it extremely difficult to eat within those limits. I've been eating pretty healthy with lean meats and lots of fruits and vegetables. However, I find that after dinner every night I NEED something chocolate. If I don't induldge that craving I end up obsessing over it for hours and feel deprived. I've bought Hershey Kisses so I can have 5 or 10 after dinner, and sometimes I skip snacking throughout the day altogether so I can have a Snickers bar for dessert. Is this a habit I need to nix? Or is my daily chocolate induldence ok for my diet?

Replies

• manasunshine
    Options
    i can totally relate to tht ive a uge sweet tooth also. im a big chocoholics. i guess if ur not exceeding your calorie from wht u should with tht one bar of choclate. it should be okay. =)
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Chocolate by itself is good for you, the problem is the sugar, specifically the processed sugar. The bottom line is that you need to cut it from your diet every night. Eating that much sugar on the daily can lead to diabetes. I would suggest for you to simply stop buying it and weaning yourself from it slowly. If you were to replace that milk chocolate Snickers with some organic dark chocolate, I would say that would be a start in the right direction.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have to have a chocolate fix too. Chocolate is something I could never give up. I think everything is good in moderation---as long as you are not exceeding your calorie goal. I have chocolate almost every day. These are what I have in the house right now---only 80 calories. They are delicious!

0007064000288_500X500.jpg

Sorry it's so large--- I don't know how to resize the image:smile:
  • jndavi
    jndavi Posts: 3
    Options
    Weight Watchers and Skinny Cow make some awesome ice cream! I eat one just about every day and when they come as 80-150 calories per serving, it's easy to enjoy while staying on track. :) I definitely hear your chocolate cravings-my personal favorite right now is the Weight Watchers giant chocolate cookies and cream ice cream bar.... for only 140 calories!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a store brand of ice cream on a stick that is a lot cheaper than the WW or Skinny Cow. They are 100 calories per stick. Raspberry ice cream with chocolate outside is my favorite.
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    Try a few small squares of dark chocolate. It has less sugar and has some benefits as well.
  • tlowden1
    Options
    I went on google and looked up low calorie desserts/snacks, and there are TONS of things that you can have under 100 calories that are great. Like for example I found a recipe for a low calorie ice cream sandwich where you put 2 tbsp of chocolate frozen yogurt in between a graham cracker you broke in half. There are TONS of recipes that you can get creative with the desserts you eat and you won't have to feel bad about the calories

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/cookbooks.asp?cookbook=110095

http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/low-calorie-chocolate-desserts

Try these and see if they help you curb your chocolate cravings and stay within the calories!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    non fat yogurt
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Chocolate by itself is good for you, the problem is the sugar, specifically the processed sugar. The bottom line is that you need to cut it from your diet every night. Eating that much sugar on the daily can lead to diabetes. I would suggest for you to simply stop buying it and weaning yourself from it slowly. If you were to replace that milk chocolate Snickers with some organic dark chocolate, I would say that would be a start in the right direction.

Agree. Organic dark chocolate. Eat only the recommended serving ie 3 pieces. Mind over matter.
  • thagberg2011
    thagberg2011 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but mine is not just chocolate. So I picked up some of that dessert gum by extra. I tried the Apple pie and it is great. Helped me with my craving for sweets after a meal
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I also have this issue :)

I will usually have a low calorie ice cream bar-- I get these ones from Costco called "Healthy Choice Fudge bars" or something like that, and they are only 90cals- and very yummy. I also have some very nice chocolates that my hubby bought me for christmas which I have been savouring....just one every few days....mind you that has taken excessive self-control, and I don't recommend keeping things in your house that you a known to binge on. For example, I can't keep chocolate chips in the house, because I just each them by the handful. Or basically any home made baking. For whatever reason, the fudge bars are yummy, but not so yummy that they tempt me all day....

good luck!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    @cyrdonian...there's no proof that eating too many sweets causes diabetes...it can cause obesity which can lead to diabetes but one does not directly lead to the other.

As long as you're staying within your calorie limits, there is absolutely nothing wrong with eating chocolate every day. I eat it at least 5 times per week! My favorite is dark chocolate (which is actually pretty good for you as long as you're not gorging on it).
    And as other people have pointed out, if you want to lighten it up a bit so you can still have your snacks, there are tons of lighter snack options out there.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth to and I leave myself with about 200 calories everyday to have something nice with a cup of tea in the evening. If I don't do this I end up going on a chocolate binge once every few weeks so this treat a day works for me???
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been like that alot lately. I buy the sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding cups and the fudgesicles and that helps. My husband is diabetic so we try not to have too many sweets in the house.
  • cmevans22
    cmevans22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try a few small squares of dark chocolate. It has less sugar and has some benefits as well.

^^THIS^^

Or Skinny Cow treats...had one yesterday that was to die for! Crispy Caramel Chocolate or something, yummy!!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    @cyrdonian...there's no proof that eating too many sweets causes diabetes...it can cause obesity which can lead to diabetes but one does not directly lead to the other.

And what is the leading cause of Type 2 Diabetes? Say it with me everyone: obesity! :) It doesn't really matter how you word it... why set yourself up for it?
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You need to get Healthy Choice frozen chocolate bars. They have 100 calories and 5g protein and 4g fiber which are pretty good stats for any food let alone something chocolate.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

And what is the leading cause of Type 2 Diabetes? Say it with me everyone: obesity! :) It doesn't really matter how you word it... why set yourself up for it?

You are missing the point. Obesity is not caused solely by eating sweets. You can also eat a chocolate bar every day for the rest of your life and not necessarily be obese.
  • losingtwentyin2012
    Options
    I'm on 1310 calories a day and I don't find it extremely difficult to eat within those limits. I've been eating pretty healthy with lean meats and lots of fruits and vegetables. However, I find that after dinner every night I NEED something chocolate. If I don't induldge that craving I end up obsessing over it for hours and feel deprived. I've bought Hershey Kisses so I can have 5 or 10 after dinner, and sometimes I skip snacking throughout the day altogether so I can have a Snickers bar for dessert. Is this a habit I need to nix? Or is my daily chocolate induldence ok for my diet?

I'd break this habit as early as possible because "needing dessert every night" isn't healthy or ok. And I don't mean to sound rude. I just used to be the same way & thought I could make it work for me. But it ended up biting me in the *kitten* later. And if you're anything like me, some nights you're gonna want more & more. Try the dark kisses & only have one or 2 & then try to switch over to fruit for dessert :D
  • charlotteandalfie
    Options
    Ive saved calories for a sweet treat mainly chocolate or cheesecake near enough everyday I've been on my diet I've lost 78 lbs and have reached my goal of 115 lbs so it can't be that bad along as your within your calorie limit eat what you want xx