Needing Dessert Every Night

Options

Replies

• Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but mine is not just chocolate. So I picked up some of that dessert gum by extra. I tried the Apple pie and it is great. Helped me with my craving for sweets after a meal

The chocolate mint ice cream flavor is really good, too!

Although I agree that there are a lot of healthy substitutes out there, sometimes you just gotta have the real thing. I have one or two cookies each night. I generally don't have sweets all day, so I have no guilt in that small indulgence. I have slacked off recently, but I used to be much better at logging everything I ate, including my two cookies after dinner. Helps keep me in check.

I think you have to do what works for you, but I highly recommend logging your treat. I've heard that Hershey kisses are a good choice because you have to unwrap each one. They are easy to count out and know your serving size. Enjoy them with a glass of milk or a cup of decaf coffee or tea. Make it an experience, and you will be satisfied.
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    I really like the Chocolate Chip Fiber Plus antioxidant Bars! Full of good stuff and still good and chocolatey :)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I love a little chocolate (or wine) after dinner! I have had the same problem as you. When I was down to 1,200 cals a day it was impossible to fit it in. I felt like I was going crazy. But after about 3-4 days I didn't miss it anymore. Then I read some studies on this, took some nutrition classes, and found that it's totally normal to go a couple of days without and then not miss it as much anymore.

That said, if I have chocolate or wine for a day or two after dinner, I want it again for a few days after. It takes a lot of self-discipline to get past that, honestly.

Now that I've been at it for a while, my calorie allowance is a bit higher and I've managed to be able to work something sweet in most nights. As long as you aren't skyrocketing past your fat allowance and staying at or near calories, it's not going to hurt anything to let yourself have a treat!

(Now sweet/salty cycles are REALLY bad.... that's something that I find VERY difficult to break, so I avoid following sweets with salt, because I know it's a weakness for me!)
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    I love chocolate too!!! I have a lite hot chocolate when I need a fix, it's only 45 calories and I usually can get my fix. Then on the odd occassion that it isn't enough, treat yourself to a bar.
  • Gemmageldmacher
    Gemmageldmacher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! My current fix, which has been working great is as follows: Mix 1 packet of Jello Chocolate Fudge Fat Free/Sugar Free instant pudding mix with 2C of milk (works best with whole, or 2%). Pour into ice cube trays before it completely gels (for me it makes about 17 total). Once it gels, stick toothpicks in each. Freeze. They are wonderful little snacks, and because it takes you so long to eat it, they are really satisfying. Hope you try and enjoy!
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED it..... Stop and think, are you hungry? Don't let food control you.

If you are hungry, try dipping apple slices in nutella
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    sugar free chocolate pudding is not bad .. sometimes a serving of chocolate cereal wihtout the milk ..eat it as a snack .. i rid myself of my choclate addiction thankfully., it was not easy and its very easy to fall back in to it . but for me thankfully i dont crave it anymore like you do . its like battling alcohol addiction or something lol just awful !!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    You don't NEED it..... Stop and think, are you hungry? Don't let food control you.

If you are hungry, try dipping apple slices in nutella

"LIKE"
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Another dessert idea: carton of plain lowfat Greek-style yogurt, grate in some high-quality dark or semi-dark chocolate, stir and eat. Add a little Truvia or other sugar substitute if you need a little more sweetness. Sprinkle some chopped nuts on the top if you desire for the added texture and taste (I like chopped hazelnuts). This is a really, really good dessert that's actually healthful.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like a little bit of sweet every night. Now if you're "needing" it, I read somewhere on these boards that that's a magnesium deficiency, looked into it out of curiosity and it says that extends particularly to chocolate because it's giving you both the sweet and chocolate has magnesium, so you might try a supplement. Otherwise, just portion it! I love whipped cream for that. Take a little spray of chocolate whipped cream and savor it, sooooooo good, or just like, 3 or 4 M&Ms. Stuff like that. Chocolate milk? Once you start telling yourself you can only have that one taste, that one taste becomes all you need because you truly make the most of it. Portion it and it's no problem at all. It's not about depriving yourself! :)
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! I always try to budget my calories so that I can have some kind of chocolate or something sweet.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I sell chocolate for a living and I manage to eat chocolate every day AND still lose weight. The key is...moderation, quality, and process of consumption.

First of all, dark chocolate is going to shut down that part in your brain that is calling for chocolate. Second, if you are allowing the chocolate to melt in your mouth and you use all 5 of your senses to enjoy the chocolate you will feel satisfied with less. Sure, you will want more...because the sensations you get from enjoying chocolate can be pleasurable. However, you will not NEED more according to your brain.

In my house, my kids know when it is chocolate time and to not bug mom. I take that time out of my day to enjoy my chocolate and to slowly consume it, not allow the need to consume me!

Enjoy your chocolate. But, eat quality chocolate to make it worth it! Sorry...but a snickers or kisses aren't quality chocolate. They are sugar with a little cocoa added for good measure.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    @cyrdonian...there's no proof that eating too many sweets causes diabetes...it can cause obesity which can lead to diabetes but one does not directly lead to the other.

And what is the leading cause of Type 2 Diabetes? Say it with me everyone: obesity! :) It doesn't really matter how you word it... why set yourself up for it?

Because one can be obese without ever getting Type 2 Diabetes. The genetic propensity for it must exist as well.

Oh and... one can develop Type 2 Diabetes without being obese.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Try some substitutes. If you're eating healthfully, there's probably no harm. But if you would like some variety, try a Kashi Dark Chocolate Coconut Layered Granola Bar. Or a Clif Z Bar either Brownie or Chocolate Chip.

Not the sugar high of a candy bar, but it seems to help me.

Also, believe it or not, I've started eating salads late at night. I like to eat later at night sometimes, but I don't want to ruin my plan.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    i've been eating a jello mousse cup with some strawberries when i need something sweet. use the mousse as a dip = chocolate covered strawberries. ends up being about 109 calories with a cup of strawberry halves.
  • chantalbennett
    chantalbennett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with a small squirt of chocolate syrup = HEAVEN.

This is so smart! I will def be trying this :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was the same way before - but challenge yourself and you CAN and WILL get better!
    Try cutting the chocolate bar into pieces, then storing them in baggies and only allowing yourself 1/3 bar per night.
    Or fewer kisses, etc...
    I don't think it's bad to have, but try not to be so dependant on it...

Get better? It sounds like she's a drug addict or something.

Seriously people, eating something sweet every single day is not a bad thing. All of these all or nothing posts are really over the top. Those of us who are treating this as a lifestyle change realize that we can eat anything we'd like to eat, in moderation, and continue to be successful. If you deprive yourself, you'll end up setting yourself up for failure.

I want to succeed and I enjoy chocolate every single day. *GASP* Sometimes twice a day!
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like to set one square of dark chocolate onto half of a graham cracker and pop it in the toaster oven for a few minutes. After the chocolate is soft, I spread it across the cracker and sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt on top. Sweet, salty, creamy, crunchy, and the prep time is long enough that I can usually talk myself down from a second.

I don't think there is anything wrong with "needing" a dessert or sweet snack every night, so long as it isn't affecting other aspects of your life. For example, if abstaining from dessert makes you so cranky that you snap at your significant other, that's a problem.
  • GC131618
    GC131618 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What I keep in my fridge for such situations are Jello SUGAR FREE pudding snacks. They have the reg chocolate ones, or the vanilla chocolate ones. With them being sugar free puts it at 60 cals per package only. The plus side is that they dont even taste like they are missing the sugar. Hope this was helpful. :)