Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    it leads to a food orgy.

lol that sounds good to me! :love:
  • Lillemeddy
    Options
    I find that drinking a cup of no sugar added hot chocolate helps me out! No more than 50-60 calories, and it really does the trick. If you look in my food diary, you can see I have one almost every day.
  • mstoya7
    mstoya7 Posts: 11
    Options
    I too have a sweet tooth so I can totally understand. I usually buy the Fiber One Chocolate brownies. They are only 90 calories and they are delicious. They are just the right size and have enough chocolate in them to fix your sweet tooth. The come like 6 in a pack I think. Try them, I'm sure you'll like them :)
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't think she meant "needing" dessert as in if she doesn't get it, she goes through withdrawals as if she was in rehab. I'm a sugar LOVER and I absolutely eat chocolate all the time. I suggest buying mini sizes. You can usually get 3 or 4 of those and slowly decrease the number of times a week you eat it. This is about a lifestyle, so if you can't see yourself not eating chocolate forever, then don't do it! I love it, so I'm not gonna stop eating it, but I will watch my portions.

Everything in moderation is the key.

She may not have meant it but I know I "need" it and honestly feel like a drug addict craving/needing drugs. I say that with all seriousness, nothing joking about it. I find myself having to "detox" from the sweets and it isn't easy at all. Once I have detoxed and gone through total withdrawals for about a week or so I am okay but it only takes one cookie, piece of cake, etc., for me to fall off the wagon. I looked into FAA (Food Addicts Anonymous) but we don't have any groups around where I live but in reading through their literature I believe some of us are prone to certain addictions including certain foods (sweets, caffeine, etc.,). So to tell me to have a cookie, in moderation, is like telling an alcoholic that it is okay to have one drink, in moderation. If you don't have the addiction, you don't understand - some can do it in moderation, some can't. I can't. (Wish I could!)
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have Sugar Free Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream and warm up a Fiber One Chocolate Brownie to go with it
  • jaqiswany
    Options
    Weight watchers do some Belgian Chocolate Mousse Deserts which are really low and really chocolatey would they help maybe? they come in a fair sized pot too not a teeny pot. Aslo sugar free jelly is really low and good for satifying a sweet tooth. You could always put some grapes or chopped fruit in the jelly to bulk it out a little .

Good luck
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have some dark chocolate every night and have since I started this journey. I try to keep it around 2 squares or so and fit it within my calories. It keeps me from feeling deprived and I have had great success to date. I say enjoy it if you want it, just keep it in small portions :)
  • Workinmom1986
    Workinmom1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you look up on the south beach diet they have this GREAT recipie for a chocolate dessert and ill tell you its totaly amazing.

1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    2 packets trivia (or some no cal natrual sweetner)
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    2 Tb Scharffen unsweetened cocoa powder

Mix well.

you can use ANY kind of flavoring if you dont lik the almond. i have used lemon (actual lemon juice as well as extract) orange vanilla raspberry anything you could totaly go crazy with this AND its healthy!
  • APO_Katie
    APO_Katie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try just a square or two of REALLY dark choclate. Like 67-85% cacoa. That should hit your craving on the head and cut back on the sugar.
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    I got an awesome book recently called "400 Calorie Fix". It shows you what 400 cals looks like at every meal (hello portion control...my biggest challenge) and it includes deserts and snacks. Sometimes I'll make a meal out of a treat, like an ice cream sandwich or a coffee drink with sugar. As long as you aren't eating treats for every meal, you should be able to get the right balance of nutrition and calorie control within these limits. I'm on about 1600 cals a day but you should be able to get a sweet or two in at 1200. I happen to really like those fiber one 90 cal bars. Pair that with a salad and you should be good to go : )
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    5 Hershey's kisses a day will not lead to diabetes. A small taste of chocolate is not a bad thing. I went from wanting ( not needing) a full blown dessert every night to a square of chocolate....it satisfies enough and I don't feel like I am doing without.

My concern is more that the OP said they would avoid eating other foods throughout the day to have a Snickers bar and stay under their calorie goal. THAT is not healthy and that is a dangerous habit to get into.

Dangerous to save room in your calorie budget for a dessert? Not unhealthy AT ALL.
    If it fits into your calories/macros and you have a tooth brush you will be just fine.
  • soccerblocker66
    soccerblocker66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the chocolate addiction also. Skinny Cow has Heavenly Crisp Bars that taste exactly like a candy bar! And they also have crispy clusters that are similar to peanut clusters but crispy instead. They satisfy my craving and they are low enough I can have at least one a day.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    To me that seems like a lot of calories for something that has no real nutritional value. If you wanted to have 1-2 Hershey's kisses, I'd say okay, but 5-10 seems like a lot to me. What I find troubling is that you're giving up potentially more nutritious food, to eat something with no real micro nutrients, protein, or fiber. Personally, I try to limit myself to small amounts of such things. I sometimes keep a nice bar of dark chocolate around and have a square or two at a time. I'll sit down and really make it a point to enjoy my chocolate. Like many people, I can't keep much of that sort of thing around, once the bag is open I'll have one or two here and there, and it really adds up.
  • pjh1953
    Options
    Try the Fiber One 90 calorie brownies - they are terrific tasting, have filling fiber, and they take care of that chocolate urge. Good luck - I know what it feels like to want that chocolate rush!:bigsmile:
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    BUmp!

Hot Cocoa gives me chocolate low cal fix.

Or Skinny Cow 50 cal fudge pops!!! Yummmy!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have some dark chocolate every night and have since I started this journey. I try to keep it around 2 squares or so and fit it within my calories. It keeps me from feeling deprived and I have had great success to date. I say enjoy it if you want it, just keep it in small portions :)

I do the exact same thing. Organic dark chocolate with 72% cocoa, 3 squares = 1 serving = around 60 cals
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    I find that drinking a cup of no sugar added hot chocolate helps me out! No more than 50-60 calories, and it really does the trick. If you look in my food diary, you can see I have one almost every day.

great idea! i'm going to try this...warm drinks tend to help a lot : )
  • alishuman
    Options
    I was reading a book that suggested if you need a chocolate fix, try dipping a banana in unsweetened cocoa powder (about 1 tsp. will do for a whole banana).

Anyway, I tried it, because I had a hankering for chocolate, but am trying really hard to stay away from processed sugars. I hate bananas... but I really liked them like that. The banana was sweet enough to carry the unsweetened cocoa powder, and the banana was helped exponentially by the chocolate. =D It's my new favorite treat-snack.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Chocolate by itself is good for you, the problem is the sugar, specifically the processed sugar. The bottom line is that you need to cut it from your diet every night. Eating that much sugar on the daily can lead to diabetes. I would suggest for you to simply stop buying it and weaning yourself from it slowly. If you were to replace that milk chocolate Snickers with some organic dark chocolate, I would say that would be a start in the right direction.

There is nothing that says eating sugar will cause diabetes.

Personally, I prefer dark chocolate and I have it on a regular basis. If your dessert is within your calories, it will not hinder your weight loss.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    One more thing...I didn't mean to suggest that anyone should eat salad instead of chocolate at night! I just do it later (I still have something sweet). I eat the salad for the crunch.