My calorie goal is 1240, but I have trouble getting there!

Options

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I like food too much for this ever to become an issue. However, I have had more trouble lately. I have a bevy of food intolerances, which leaves me with very few options.

I've had to be creative to figure out what I can eat and make the most of it. (This means making my own food and taking it everywhere with me, since I can't eat 99% of the food items at a restaurant.) I understand this struggle. But it is possible to find enough to eat, to figure out what you like and eat more of it.

You may have to add some carbs to your diet, too. Eating low carb was really difficult for me. It's also expensive. I started eating carbs again--even simple carbs, since I'm sensitive to wheat--and it hasn't had a negative effect.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I didn't go through all the replies, but I know when I'm not hitting my calories, I mash up half an avocado with tuna and put it on a slice of whole wheat bread. Very filling and high in healthy calories. avocados are high in calories but also contain healthy fat. Try almonds, walnuts, etc- they are healthy with high calories.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have to roll my eyes when I see these topics. Really?? People have a hard time eating? How did they get overweight in the first place?

That is an ignorant thing to say. Do you belive in starvation mode? I gained 100 pounds and I was not over eating that might have been YOUR problem but not everyones

So you gained weight from the calories in the excessive air you breathed? Or too many calories in water? I'm confused.

Do you belive in starvation mode? you know the idea that if if you eat to little for long enough when you eat normal you will put on weight?Well thats what happened to me so unless you know everyones backgrounds its stupid to make such statements unless you think starvation mode is a myth
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have to roll my eyes when I see these topics. Really?? People have a hard time eating? How did they get overweight in the first place?

That is an ignorant thing to say. Do you belive in starvation mode? I gained 100 pounds and I was not over eating that might have been YOUR problem but not everyones

So you gained weight from the calories in the excessive air you breathed? Or too many calories in water? I'm confused.

Do you belive in starvation mode? you know the idea that if if you eat to little for long enough when you eat normal you will put on weight?Well thats what happened to me so unless you know everyones backgrounds its stupid to make such statements unless you think starvation mode is a myth

At least in my opinion I think that starvation mode is exaggerated.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    1. Have a bit of brown rice or whole wheat pasta with lunches

2. use full fat dressings (or make your own using olive oil)

3. Avocados, fish, almonds, dark chocolate, and the above-mentioned olive oil all have monounsaturated fat which brings your bad cholesterol down and is good for your heart. These are all high-calorie, but HEALTHY foods.

4. Don't be afraid to use condiments: sour cream, mayo, bbq sauce. Just use a bit...

5. Eat at least 2 eggs a day (prepared any kind of way)

6. Big breakfast, Medium lunch, Small dinner (GIVE THIS A TRY)
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Someone can overeat, then down the road experience any number of changes that cause them to lose their appetite. This is obvious. Not to contribute to the DRAMZ on this thread, but you seem a bit bitter. Maybe you could practice being a bit nicer to people? Kittens might help.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options

It is exaggerated, but if the poster keeps eating less than 1000 calories a day, she'll eventually get into starvation mode.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

I spent 10+ years eating maybe once every 3 days when I went back to eating everyday I put on weight and i put it on FAST
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options
    if you only ate once every 3 days, then started eating like a normal person, of COURSE you put on weight. your body was probably thanking you too...........
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    QUoTE:

I spent 10+ years eating maybe once every 3 days when I went back to eating everyday I put on weight and i put it on FAST
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

That sucks! Glad things are getting better though :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

That sucks! Glad things are getting better though :)
    [/quote]

It was a shock to my system and totally unexpected because even though i wasnt eating much the weight just piled on
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    if you only ate once every 3 days, then started eating like a normal person, of COURSE you put on weight. your body was probably thanking you too...........

well yeah im sure it was. which is why it gets old to see people constantly saying crap like "you didnt get fat by not eating" well I kinda did.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Trust me guys, I eat eggs and cheese. I eat berries every AM (I make a smoothie). I think it's my aversion to red meat, peanut butter, etc that are getting in my way.

You might like raw almond butter, just get a bag of raw almonds, and put them in the food processor and they will turn to butter. Or just eat almonds (that's if you don't have an allergy)

BANANAS do you like bananas? that's about 89-100 calories right there. an oz. of almonds is 161 - that will bump you up shy of your goal. Sweet potatoes, apples and BEANS... those can all be snacks, high calories too.

I gained weight because I was only getting anywhere from 600-800 calories per day. If you can keep your meals about 100-200 you will be hungry for snacks that are also 100-200 which in turn will help you reach your calorie goal
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    If your a picky eater and your worried about getting more calories just up your portion sizes of what your currently eating and enjoy and like everyone else said add new foods to your diet and rotate them so you don't get sick of them, I can think of a hundred ways to increase calories... hahaha, I think we all can or we wouldn't be here. Eat nut's they are very good for you or try an apple a large apple has like 150 calories but it's filled with fiber and wards off hunger. Best of luck on your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You can't just take what you're already eating now.. and increase the portions?
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options

well yeah im sure it was. which is why it gets old to see people constantly saying crap like "you didnt get fat by not eating" well I kinda did.

THE MAJORITY OF US GOT FAT BY EATING TOO MUCH WAS MY POINT.
  • campfirekellie
    campfirekellie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is just your body saying you aren't hungry and that you are done. If you don't hit exactly the amount you need that is fine. But if you are only getting 800 a day maybe that's not enough. Try some hummus with extra olive oil on some Triscuits. You get some fiber, vitamins, and your Omega-3's (olive oil) and it's VERY healthy :) Hummus is expensive in store but if you have the ingredients to make you can make MANY batches for SO much cheaper :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

THE MAJORITY OF US GOT FAT BY EATING TOO MUCH WAS MY POINT.

BUT NOT EVERYONE WAS MINE
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Wow, one would think that posting on here would bring support and encouragement. Not sarcasm and rudeness. Probably the last time I post on here.

Thanks to those who answered kindly, it's very appreciated.

In online forums, take the advice you want and leave the rest. Not everybody will agree, and not everybody is going to agree on everyone's delivery. Don't let it deter you in seeking out the help you want.
  • campfirekellie
    campfirekellie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yummy!