Can stopping drinking diet soda help me lose weight? Why?

Options

Replies

• YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Sureeeeeeeeeee :bigsmile:
    Yep. Let me guess.......................Shakeology should be what I drink.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Personally I'll have Shakeology 100 times over your cheeseburgers and diet soda, thank you very much lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Personally I'll have Shakeology 100 over your cheeseburgers and diet soda, thank you very much lol
    Of course. You're a former BB coach.........most here know how that goes.:laugh: Thanks for playing though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The only time diet soda stops people from losing weight is when they think "Oh, well, I'm drinking DIET soda so I can eat whatever else I want now."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x46bKxbkxrA
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by switching from regular soda to diet soda. I think the main concern is that you'll crave the sugar and make up for it by eating other sugary foods - if you don't do that, you should be fine. Technically, a calorie-free food can't make you gain weight. However, the sodium can make you retain water and the artificial sweeteners are bad for your liver. So the more you can cut down on it, the better.

There's usually more sodium in average drinking water than there is in soda. Also, the artificial sweetener in soda is broken down into its constituent parts, aspartic acid, and phenylalanine, both amino acids that the body makes and uses on a daily basis, it's not hard on the liver at all.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    This has probably already been mentioned, sorry if I missed it.

But many diet drinks contain aspartame which has been linked with making people feel more hungry, as well as a whole other host of undesirable health effects. Here it is banned in all children's products.

I used to use artificial sweeteners in my hot drinks a few years back and really felt this 'hunger' which I never linked to the sweeteners I was using until much later on. I cut it out, replaced it with Stevia and the 'hunger' seemed to ease off. Whether this was psychological or not I don't know but Stevia is natural from plants so is much better for you :)

I personally stay clear of anything containing Aspartame, but I guess drinking diet is better than the full fat stuff if you really have to, better for your teeth too.
  • tigersword
    Options
    First of all, I don't really need to prove anything to anyone here, at the end most in this website don't have a clue about what's good or bad for you whether is in terms of losing weight or health in general. There are those who apparently might have knowledge about fitness and nutrition and yet they surprise me with the things they say to others here. If any of you decide to drink whatever you want to drink, it is your own life, your own problem, your own body but if asked for opinion, they will get it whether they agree with it or not.

To anyone who tells me that products like soda, or in this case diet soda, which are far from being NATURAL, are good and healthy, it kind of makes me not even bother with an answer. It is not my fault people can't really make good use of the internet to do a real research and not just read any article that pops up on Google search.

With that said, if any of you want to know if the following is true or not, I suggest you to look it up on your own, I'm not going to do it for you. There are plenty of books, magazines and internet articles that talk about this. Just be aware that the same way companies who want to affect the business of corporations like Coca Cola, this corporations have their own "doctors" and "scientists" to prove wrong this researchers.

Soda, whether diet or regular contains among other ingredients.

PHOSPHORIC ACID (H3PO4) which can be used for different things such as rust removal. Of course, the grade used in food is different, but it is still the same chemical. Phosphoric Acid is linked to affect and lower bone density. Studies done including the use of X-ray showed that in both women and men the bone density diminished (low bone density is a symptom of Osteoporosis). Also, Phosphoric Acid binds to calcium and other minerals in the digestive tract can form salts that are not absorbed by the body. Other studies state that Phosphoric Acid is also associated with kidney stones.

Inhalation effects - Bronchiolar fibrosis of the respiratory tract in rats. Also, rats that were exposed to 150-160 mg/m3 elemental phosphorus for 30 minutes/day for 60 days were examined for toxic effects (Inuzuka, 1956). Limb bone abnormalities were noted and effects included delayed ossification, widening of the epiphysis, and abnormal axial development.

POTASSIUM BENZOATE (E212) AND SODIUM BENZOATE (NaC6H5CO2) both used as preservative and antibacterial. When both are combined with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) they form BENZENE (C6H6) a natural constituent of crude oil, colorless and highly flammable liquid with a sweet smell. It is mainly used as a precursor to heavy chemicals. Benzene causes cancer and other illnesses. Benzene is a "notorious cause" of bone marrow failure. "Vast quantities of epidemiologic, clinical, and laboratory data" link benzene to aplastic anemia, acute leukemia, and bone marrow abnormalities.

CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA
    Used to avoid the formation of BENZENE. Calcium Disodium EDTA is used in chelation therapy*. Side effects of chelation therapy include malabsorption or low levels of various vitamins, including vitamin C and the various B vitamins. Other side effects include allergic reactions; dangerously low blood sugar, blood pressure, or blood calcium levels; kidney failure and seizures. According to the FDA, 11 patients died from calcium disodium EDTA use between 1971 and 2007.

*Chelation therapy is the administration of chelating agents to remove heavy metals from the body for the most common forms of heavy metal intoxication involving lead, arsenic or mercury

ARTIFICIAL COLORING. Artificial says a lot about how "AWESOME" it is for our bodies, but in any case caramel coloring which is added to soda drinks to give them that dark brown color is not itself a carcinogen but it is often made using ammonia. According to a 2010 study from the Center for Science in the Public Interest, caramel coloring made with ammonia causes cancer in rats and mice. True humans are not rats or mice related, but personally I wouldn't want that in my body.

ninerbuff, weight is not the only issue when it comes about food. So much for the nutrition studies.

andrejjorje, although I said it at the beginning of my reply I have nothing to prove to anyone, let me explain something which is a simple rule, natural doesn't always mean healthy. Crude oil is natural, and you wouldn't eat it because is going to kill you, but it just takes a little bit of sense to analyze that not only corporations like Coca Cola, Pepsi among others will look for ways to make their products sound "safe", but when I start seeing chemistry experiments just to make something drinkable, it makes me question why would I want to put something like that in my body, and make my liver work hard to avoid all those toxins spread thru my body.

If anyone base their trust in the FDA approval of safety, not too long ago I watched a documentary about how FDA requires two successful tests in order to approve a medication, even if 98 tests weren't successful. If this is true or not, I don't know, but knowing how this government works when it comes about the influence lobbyists have on it and its agencies, I honestly don't trust them at all, but that's just me.

Ok, copying and pasting bits and pieces from Wikipedia is not a very effective way to make an argument. Especially when you cherry pick parts to fit your argument, while intentionally leaving out the parts that disprove your argument. Like the fact that most actual clinical studies on phosphoric acid have shown absolutely no effect on calcium and bone density levels. In fact, phosphorus is actually something the body needs, and low phosphorus levels are actually linked to lower bone density. Funny how that's the exact opposite of your scare mongering claims.

Now onto the evil benzene. You might want to stop eating blueberries and cranberries, as those both have higher concentrations of benzene in them than some soft drinks. Also, how many diet sodas do you think have vitamin C in them? Without vitamin C in them, benzene doesn't form. It certainly doesn't form in your body, as digestion doesn't work that way.

I won't even bother with caramel coloring, since even you admitted there's absolutely no evidence of harm in humans. For the record, there are thousands of foods and medicines that are incredibly useful and safe for humans that cause all kinds of health problems in rats.

As for calcium disodium EDTA, just the fact that you had to link it to chelation treatment for lead and mercury poisoning to find and possible problems with it says enough. Medical dosages are much different than food additive dosages. Also, 11 people died over 40 years? More people died in a month from a breakout of e.coli from tainted lettuce in a month. Also in that 40 year period, About 400 people died from peanut allergies. Since peanuts are obviously deadlier than Calcium disodium EDTA, should we avoid peanuts, as well?
  • tigersword
    Options
    This has probably already been mentioned, sorry if I missed it.

But many diet drinks contain aspartame which has been linked with making people feel more hungry, as well as a whole other host of undesirable health effects. Here it is banned in all children's products.

I used to use artificial sweeteners in my hot drinks a few years back and really felt this 'hunger' which I never linked to the sweeteners I was using until much later on. I cut it out, replaced it with Stevia and the 'hunger' seemed to ease off. Whether this was psychological or not I don't know but Stevia is natural from plants so is much better for you :)

I personally stay clear of anything containing Aspartame, but I guess drinking diet is better than the full fat stuff if you really have to, better for your teeth too.

Stevia is as natural as aspartame. Both come from natural sources, but both are created and processed in labs. Stevia is actually created by soaking leaves from the stevia plant in methanol in order to extract the sweet compounds, which are then processed into a powder. Aspartame is made from 2 amino acids that the human body manufacures on its own, and when consumed, aspartame is broken down into these amino acids and used the same way it would be used if you had eaten a steak. Aspartame is probably restricted where you live due to the risk of Phenylketonuria, which is a genetic disorder which causes people to be unable to process phenylalanine. It's a rare genetic disorder, but healthy people, without PKU have no issues metabolizing aspartame. I'm not saying aspartame is better than stevia, I'm just saying from a chemical standpoint, they are equal.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Stevia is as natural as aspartame.

Totally agree. Also there is far more evidence that suggests aspartame is safe than for stevia (although admittedly this is partly because there is limited evidence in general for stevia). Also agree with your above post - I think the phosphoric acid/bone theory is an incredible leap from the fact that excess phosphate levels that occur in those with kidney disease will leach calcium from bones and cause osteoporosis. This does not however occur in people with healthy kidneys which will filter any excess phosphorus. Also, it's not relevant to all sodas only cola flavoured ones.
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    I am a soda junkie. I don't drink nearly what I used to, but I haven't been able to cut it out completely. I might lose weight FASTER if I cut it out, but it hasn't stopped the weight from coming off :D
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Tigersword... you're amazing:glasses: ... Many thanks for debunking all the pseudo-science and crapola on this thread :bigsmile:

I've been drinking diet soda since the 80s. I got fat because I ate a Mars bar and/or a Snickers and/or chips & dips along with my diet coke.

If all the bunkum that is written about diet drinks and sweeteners were true, I'd probably be in intensive care, a hospice or scattered to the four winds by now.

Despite my largeness, I never had an issue with my blood sugar, my blood pressure or any other cardio/respiratory ailments. Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones... who knows! I know my weight wasn't health and as coronary heart disease runs in my family, I knew that 250lbs on a 6'4" frame wasn't good for anyone. I'm en route to a 50lb drop and probably could do with losing another 50 on top of that. But I'll still be enjoying my Dr Pepper Zero along the way :drinker:
  • tigersword
    Options
    Also, another thing about phosphoric acid and bone calcium. When researchers followed up on the studies that showed a loss of calcium included with consumption of sodas, they were actually able to exclude phosphoric acid as the cause. This is exactly what we mean when we say "correlation does not equal causation." Phosphoric acid was correlated with reduced calcium absorption, but it turns out it's actually caffeine that's the cause of it. So why don't we hear about the evils of caffeine leaching calcium out of our bones? Because while the research showed an increase of calcium loss with caffeine consumption, it also showed that the body compensated with a reduction of calcium loss the rest of the day, leading to no difference overall, compared to non-consumption.

This is why you have to actually read entire studies, and can't just pick one word or phrase out of it to build an argument.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also, another thing about phosphoric acid and bone calcium. When researchers followed up on the studies that showed a loss of calcium included with consumption of sodas, they were actually able to exclude phosphoric acid as the cause. This is exactly what we mean when we say "correlation does not equal causation." Phosphoric acid was correlated with reduced calcium absorption, but it turns out it's actually caffeine that's the cause of it. So why don't we hear about the evils of caffeine leaching calcium out of our bones? Because while the research showed an increase of calcium loss with caffeine consumption, it also showed that the body compensated with a reduction of calcium loss the rest of the day, leading to no difference overall, compared to non-consumption.

This is why you have to actually read entire studies, and can't just pick one word or phrase out of it to build an argument.
    "Health police" aren't going to read clinical studies. They usually are going to blame fast food, diet soda, processed items, etc. as their demise for getting overweight and "sick". Good thing that there are people on here that are actually do research and not succumb to just reading media and hype about how bad the above mentioned items are.

IDEA Fitness member
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put YassFitness and ninerbuff in a corner and make them hug if the don't stop it. Boys - you don't agree on this, and that is okay. Yass - everyone is intitled to his or own opinion, and while you have good points, just because people aren't on your thought-wagon doesn't mean that they are wrong. Niner - you are very knowledgable in the field and are a very fit person, but not everyone is as open as you are. Okay boys, now shake hands and agree to disagree.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Ok so someone told me that if I quit drinking diet soda I'll lose more weight. Why is that? Is it true? Why is it "diet" then if that is the case? I'm kind of confused and feel kind of dumb for asking but I'm like the cat I have tons of curiosity lol
    It's zero calories. There are so many fallacies about diet soda out there by bloggers, opinionists, and so called "health gurus" that can't seem to back them up with actual peer reviewed clinical studies.
    For what it's worth, diet soda has no nutritional value, but I drink it for the "sweetness" and caffeine. I have at least 2 a day along with my separate 85oz of water.
    Unless you have bad reactions to the aspartame, it's not going to hold you back on weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

In my experience, admittedly a sample of 1, giving up diet soda (and all artificial sweeteners) has helped to reduce my taste for sweets in general. Also, switching to water from diet soda is a healthier choice -- less sodium, fewer chemicals, better for your body. It's also a lot cheaper to drink water.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Me tooo. No more than 2/day but I'm. I'm not proud nor ashamed. I am what I am.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I respect your point of view as anybody's else but the title of this thread is
    "Can stopping drinking diet soda help me lose weight? Why?"
    Please explain what is the relevance on this particular subject of the toxins from the diet sodas with the weight loss. The OP did not ask about if the diet soda is safe but if it's good or not for weigh loss.
    If you don't want to prove anything to anyone then please change the statement in:
    Diet soda = Bad fro me.
    I do agree strongly with one thing though. I have to work harder to whitening my teeth.
    Cheers.

First of all, I don't really need to prove anything to anyone here, at the end most in this website don't have a clue about what's good or bad for you whether is in terms of losing weight or health in general. There are those who apparently might have knowledge about fitness and nutrition and yet they surprise me with the things they say to others here. If any of you decide to drink whatever you want to drink, it is your own life, your own problem, your own body but if asked for opinion, they will get it whether they agree with it or not.

To anyone who tells me that products like soda, or in this case diet soda, which are far from being NATURAL, are good and healthy, it kind of makes me not even bother with an answer. It is not my fault people can't really make good use of the internet to do a real research and not just read any article that pops up on Google search.

With that said, if any of you want to know if the following is true or not, I suggest you to look it up on your own, I'm not going to do it for you. There are plenty of books, magazines and internet articles that talk about this. Just be aware that the same way companies who want to affect the business of corporations like Coca Cola, this corporations have their own "doctors" and "scientists" to prove wrong this researchers.

PHOSPHORIC ACID (H3PO4) which can be used for different things such as rust removal. Of course, the grade used in food is different, but it is still the same chemical. Phosphoric Acid is linked to affect and lower bone density. Studies done including the use of X-ray showed that in both women and men the bone density diminished (low bone density is a symptom of Osteoporosis). Also, Phosphoric Acid binds to calcium and other minerals in the digestive tract can form salts that are not absorbed by the body. Other studies state that Phosphoric Acid is also associated with kidney stones.

Inhalation effects - Bronchiolar fibrosis of the respiratory tract in rats. Also, rats that were exposed to 150-160 mg/m3 elemental phosphorus for 30 minutes/day for 60 days were examined for toxic effects (Inuzuka, 1956). Limb bone abnormalities were noted and effects included delayed ossification, widening of the epiphysis, and abnormal axial development.

POTASSIUM BENZOATE (E212) AND SODIUM BENZOATE (NaC6H5CO2) both used as preservative and antibacterial. When both are combined with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) they form BENZENE (C6H6) a natural constituent of crude oil, colorless and highly flammable liquid with a sweet smell. It is mainly used as a precursor to heavy chemicals. Benzene causes cancer and other illnesses. Benzene is a "notorious cause" of bone marrow failure. "Vast quantities of epidemiologic, clinical, and laboratory data" link benzene to aplastic anemia, acute leukemia, and bone marrow abnormalities.

CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA
    Used to avoid the formation of BENZENE. Calcium Disodium EDTA is used in chelation therapy*. Side effects of chelation therapy include malabsorption or low levels of various vitamins, including vitamin C and the various B vitamins. Other side effects include allergic reactions; dangerously low blood sugar, blood pressure, or blood calcium levels; kidney failure and seizures. According to the FDA, 11 patients died from calcium disodium EDTA use between 1971 and 2007.

*Chelation therapy is the administration of chelating agents to remove heavy metals from the body for the most common forms of heavy metal intoxication involving lead, arsenic or mercury

ARTIFICIAL COLORING. Artificial says a lot about how "AWESOME" it is for our bodies, but in any case caramel coloring which is added to soda drinks to give them that dark brown color is not itself a carcinogen but it is often made using ammonia. According to a 2010 study from the Center for Science in the Public Interest, caramel coloring made with ammonia causes cancer in rats and mice. True humans are not rats or mice related, but personally I wouldn't want that in my body.

ninerbuff, weight is not the only issue when it comes about food. So much for the nutrition studies.

andrejjorje, although I said it at the beginning of my reply I have nothing to prove to anyone, let me explain something which is a simple rule, natural doesn't always mean healthy. Crude oil is natural, and you wouldn't eat it because is going to kill you, but it just takes a little bit of sense to analyze that not only corporations like Coca Cola, Pepsi among others will look for ways to make their products sound "safe", but when I start seeing chemistry experiments just to make something drinkable, it makes me question why would I want to put something like that in my body, and make my liver work hard to avoid all those toxins spread thru my body.

If anyone base their trust in the FDA approval of safety, not too long ago I watched a documentary about how FDA requires two successful tests in order to approve a medication, even if 98 tests weren't successful. If this is true or not, I don't know, but knowing how this government works when it comes about the influence lobbyists have on it and its agencies, I honestly don't trust them at all, but that's just me.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options

I am so sick and tired of seeing this argument used every time diet soda is mentioned. It's a bunch of crap.

If you actually read the article, it says that its "link to weight gain" is because people who drink diet soda often think they can eat more because they saved so many calories drinking diet rather than regular soda.

I *literally* drink over 80oz per day of Diet Dr Pepper, have perfect blood work, lost 55 lbs, and am in the best shape of my life.
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    Blah, blah, blah. Yet another "nutrition expert." I will tell you what I tell everyone else. I am healthier than I have ever been, proven by blood work, and I drink a ton of diet soda. I continue to maintain my weight of 185 at 6'1" tall. 2 years in a row I got blood work telling me I was at risk for heart disease because of my through the roof triglycerides, sugar, and cholesterol. I lost 55 lbs while drinking all of this awful diet soda, and my blood work is as clean as a whistle now.

If it makes you feel good to put people down on this site while you make up fairy tales about health and fitness because you have deemed yourself an expert, you don't belong here.

CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I am so sick and tired of seeing this argument used every time diet soda is mentioned. It's a bunch of crap.

If you actually read the article, it says that its "link to weight gain" is because people who drink diet soda often think they can eat more because they saved so many calories drinking diet rather than regular soda.

I *literally* drink over 80oz per day of Diet Dr Pepper, have perfect blood work, lost 55 lbs, and am in the best shape of my life.

The study itself doesn't actually even say people gain weight when drinking diet soda, it says people that drink diet soda weigh more (well, have a bigger waist circumference). Seems to me that is not really a 'finding'. Would people really be surprised that those that are higher weights would be the ones to choose to cut calories and therefore be found drinking diet soda? It doesn't even come close to proving that diet soda causes weight gain.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm going to put YassFitness and ninerbuff in a corner and make them hug if the don't stop it. Boys - you don't agree on this, and that is okay. Yass - everyone is intitled to his or own opinion, and while you have good points, just because people aren't on your thought-wagon doesn't mean that they are wrong. Niner - you are very knowledgable in the field and are a very fit person, but not everyone is as open as you are. Okay boys, now shake hands and agree to disagree.
    How about a squat or deadlift contest instead? Meh, I can agree to disagree, but I won't let someone "slyly" try to discredit me.

IDEA Fitness member