when DID this becomer more attractive?!?! (pic.....i hope)

Options

Replies

• Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    I've got room for all 8 of them ; )
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Very true! The top row look awful in my opinion, all the men I know like real curves! :happy:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    but at the same time don't expect everyone on the internet to agree with you.

Yeah I guess that isn't something I really thought about because my intentions were not what some are making it out to be :/

I honestly don't think you are to blame :] I didn't see any bashinf in you post
    The last 4 pages of "ewwwww skinny ewwww hisssssss" was the problem xD

Exactly.

It's bad enough that that there's tons of people who think my goals of being 16% body fat and muscular to be "ugly" and "un-feminine" but it doesn't help matters at all when they also think it's ugly to be lean even without the muscle mass being added.

If I wanted to look as plump-a-licious as Marilyn Monroe does in that picture, I wouldn't have come here. I had less body fat than that when I joined MFP. :p
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think they're all beautiful women! It is sad that there is a strain for us to be smaller and thinner, pocket sized, but that doesn't mean we have to be any size other people think we need to be. I have a friend who is less than a hundred pounds who is trying to get curves and I am trying to lose some of mine. I understand both struggles. I have to say it is kinda rude that ya'll are bashing on the thinner crowd. Stop bashing others to make yourself feel better and just do what you have to do. Some men love curves, some men love thinner women, some men love bigger women...who cares....all that matters is if you love yourself.

Well said!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Well that kinda makes me sad since my body is closest to Nicole's on that picture and I didn't starve myself to be thin I just always have been. Oh well, I am happy with who I am.

If anyone has a chance read a blog my sister wrote:
    it's called "Tolerance for Skinny People Too"

http://revivingpollyann.blogspot.com/2012/01/tolerance-for-skinny-people-too.html - "its no better to go around saying, “You're unnaturally skinny!” and loading a thin person's plate up with extra food than it is to say to an overweight person, “Wow you are fat aren't you?” and steal their fork. Either way you are tearing the person down."

I couldn't agree more. At my smallest I was questioned all the time about if I was eating enough or that I looked like a waif. It really wasn't fair, it was just how my body was at the time. People are built differently and that is something people need to appreciate.

Yup! I'm smaller than usual right now because of a medication i'm on and everyone seems to have something to say about it. If I had packed on some pounds my friends wouldn't say "wow Rae you're getting chunky there, put down the fork!" but since my body is skinny apparently it's fair game.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    I don't know what you are talking about. All of those women are beautiful.

You should never shame any type of body. Even if they have a disorder (Which IMO none of them look that way, in fact a couple of them look rather fit!) pictures like that do nothing to help.

We should be bringing self confidence up in ever woman of every shape and size.

Agreed, very well said. This site is My FITNESS Pal. Not everyone is here to lose weight. If someone is here because they want to gain, a lot of you have just effectively told them you think they're disgusting. Something ugly is going on here but it's not the women in that photo.

Thank you.
  • kuyokuyo
    Options
    To be honest, I think they're all beautiful, it's just a matter of perspective.
    And as for the argument about Hollywood pressuring women to be thin and all, I think that only goes so far. The market as a whole has gone out of it's way to perfect and refine how all people look by using computer editing programs like Photoshop to make already beautiful people look even more beautiful. That's just how it is nowadays, but back then I'm sure it went on too. Women wore corsets, dieted, took pills... sounds pretty similar to what we do to ourselves nowadays, don't you think?
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    I really regret this topic now because some people are apparently not getting the same message I got from it -__- I'm not saying anything negative about naturally thin women, but let's be real, Hollywood puts A LOT of pressure on actresses to be thin and not EVERYONE is built like that (ie Marilyn Monroe). It's just saying you don't have to be bone thin to be considered beautiful. This was not to offend anyone! I'm sorry though, if you didn't like it you could have just clicked the back arrow on you're computer instead of condemning those who saw the picture in a different light. Oh and I DIDN'T MAKE THE PHOTO do I didn't choose who was on the list

Now, why are you being so defensive? I have stated my opinion about this picture as you have stated yours. You took from it what you wanted and I took from it what I see. I have on the other hand called out a handful of people who feel it's okay to bash on and shame thin women. Not acceptable ever.

I don't have an issue with you at all. But if you think that you can post something like this and NOT hear peoples opinions on it then you are kidding yourself.

I think you need to chill as much as the people you are telling to hit the back button.
  • kuyokuyo
    Options
    I don't know what you are talking about. All of those women are beautiful.

You should never shame any type of body. Even if they have a disorder (Which IMO none of them look that way, in fact a couple of them look rather fit!) pictures like that do nothing to help.

We should be bringing self confidence up in ever woman of every shape and size.

Agreed, very well said. This site is My FITNESS Pal. Not everyone is here to lose weight. If someone is here because they want to gain, a lot of you have just effectively told them you think they're disgusting. Something ugly is going on here but it's not the women in that photo.

Thank you.
    I couldn't agree more. Pictures like this make me pretty sad to be honest, because shouldn't we be more worried about a person's health before their appearance? I think they all look absolutely great.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Very true! The top row look awful in my opinion, all the men I know like real curves! :happy:

^AGAIN with this crap. "real" curves? the girls on top are fit & still have hourglass shapes. Well I guess men will never find me attractive since I'm 'thin'. Oh wait at work (I'm a dancer) & my husband at home always comment on my butt & hips and small waist and being 'curvy' So you can definilty be 'thin' and curvy. You don't have to be overweight to be curvy. This thread is very insulting to thin people. How would overweight people feel if someone posted a picture of 4 obese women and 4 fit women and said "eww since when is fat okay?" People would throw a fit! its no different.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It's strange, because before I got in shape and lost the 60 pounds I did over the last year, I honestly thought it was completely unrealistic to look like the top row of women without starving myself or getting surgeries. It's not though, not at all. I'm closer to looking like that now than I ever have been in my life, and that is from the vigorous exercise routine I have kept up with for over 8 months, along with changing my eating habits.

I think most women who are "overweight" are under the delusion that "real" women are supposed to be voluptuous and curvy because the norm for women these days is that they ARE overweight. Being curvy doesn't necessarily mean you are overweight or "fat", and being thin doesn't necessarily mean you have an eating disorder or are "disgusting, gross, sick, etc". I also think that when I was younger, and before I gained a lot of the extra weight I did, I always thought I was fat even when I wasn't. I think the reason for that wasn't so much because of society or the media, but because I was what people call "skinny fat". I was not healthy, I was lazy, and I had no muscle tone. So no matter how much weight I lost, I still held onto that fat, flabby appearance.

I guess my point is, don't judge someone because of how they look. It's unfair and cruel. MFP is not meant for this type of trash talking, it is meant to support and help each other, whether you are here to gain weight, lose weight, or simply maintain a healthy lifestyle. I personally would relate better now with the top row of women, and I find it incredibly offensive what some of the people here are saying about their bodies. It's time for women to stop treating other women like pieces of meat on a rack to be bought / sold, objectifying them and passing judgement so brutally and in the same manner that they SCREAM about not wanting others to pass on them!!!
  • Kristin24C
    Kristin24C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I really regret this topic now because some people are apparently not getting the same message I got from it -__- I'm not saying anything negative about naturally thin women, but let's be real, Hollywood puts A LOT of pressure on actresses to be thin and not EVERYONE is built like that (ie Marilyn Monroe). It's just saying you don't have to be bone thin to be considered beautiful. This was not to offend anyone! I'm sorry though, if you didn't like it you could have just clicked the back arrow on you're computer instead of condemning those who saw the picture in a different light. Oh and I DIDN'T MAKE THE PHOTO do I didn't choose who was on the list

I never thought you meant anything bad by posting this! Everyone is going to see different things when they see this pic. I, for one see the beauty in this pic. I never saw it as bashing thin people for being thin. I see it as if your curvy you should be comfortable!
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    It's strange, because before I got in shape and lost the 60 pounds I did over the last year, I honestly thought it was completely unrealistic to look like the top row of women without starving myself or getting surgeries. It's not though, not at all. I'm closer to looking like that now than I ever have been in my life, and that is from the vigorous exercise routine I have kept up with for over 8 months, along with changing my eating habits.

I think most women who are "overweight" are under the delusion that "real" women are supposed to be voluptuous and curvy because the norm for women these days is that they ARE overweight. Being curvy doesn't necessarily mean you are overweight or "fat", and being thin doesn't necessarily mean you have an eating disorder or are "disgusting, gross, sick, etc". I also think that when I was younger, and before I gained a lot of the extra weight I did, I always thought I was fat even when I wasn't. I think the reason for that wasn't so much because of society or the media, but because I was what people call "skinny fat". I was not healthy, I was lazy, and I had no muscle tone. So no matter how much weight I lost, I still held onto that fat, flabby appearance.

I guess my point is, don't judge someone because of how they look. It's unfair and cruel. MFP is not meant for this type of trash talking, it is meant to support and help each other, whether you are here to gain weight, lose weight, or simply maintain a healthy lifestyle. I personally would relate better now with the top row of women, and I find it incredibly offensive what some of the people here are saying about their bodies. It's time for women to stop treating other women like pieces of meat on a rack to be bought / sold, objectifying them and passing judgement so brutally and in the same manner that they SCREAM about not wanting others to pass on them!!!

AGREE!!!!!
  • xraygeek
    xraygeek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    No matter your body structure--if you're naturally thin or naturally inclined to gain weight such as myself--it's important to be healthy. Eating the right foods and exercising is what it is all about.

I, personally, like the looks of the old movie stars, but I also know that is more what my body type would be if I hadn't let it get all fat and chubby. They ate normally, worked out, and took care of themselves. The women in the top row also probably eat quite normally and they workout (you can tell that by Keira's abs...holy crap I wish I had those!).

In today's society of high fashion and such a high influence of the media, the images that we see are skewed. There is a push to be thin, in Hollywood especially. I think instead of pointing fingers at each other for "Ew! Look how skinny she is! Gross!" or "Ew! Look how fat she is! Gross!" why can't we just all agree on one simple fact: Healthy is the way to go--eat right, moderate your own consumption of sugars and junk food, exercise to build lean muscle.

I had this conversation with a friend of mine of FB, and I was very nicely put in my place because I had the "Ew, look how skinny she is!" attitude. This woman was a beautifully muscled, lean, size 2...she sure looks a whole lot better than the movie stars. But she opened my eyes. Fat isn't healthy. Overly skinny isn't healthy. Exercise and correct eating are healthy!
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    The funny thing is, I read an interview with Kiera Knightley a few years ago and all I remember from it was that she talked about how much she hated her body because she had no curves. I actually felt really bad about it, because she is a beauitful woman. Of course, I would never in a million years have her body type, because my body isn't shaped that way. If I were in perfect shape, Kiera probably would have said she was jealous of my body.

The point is, everyone is different. Sure, I can look at a picture like that and think, wow, those top row women aren't my ideal, but somebody else could look at the same picture and think they look amazing. We're all our own worst critics, which is why I think this picture created such an inflammatory response. This entire thread is just evidence of our own self confidence issues.

Real women have skin on them. How's that?
  • Niledhel
    Niledhel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    They all look good. =)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

^AGAIN with this crap. "real" curves? the girls on top are fit & still have hourglass shapes. Well I guess men will never find me attractive since I'm 'thin'. Oh wait at work (I'm a dancer) & my husband at home always comment on my butt & hips and small waist and being 'curvy' So you can definilty be 'thin' and curvy. You don't have to be overweight to be curvy. This thread is very insulting to thin people. How would overweight people feel if someone posted a picture of 4 obese women and 4 fit women and said "eww since when is fat okay?" People would throw a fit! its no different.

Exactly!!
    You don't have to be "big" to be curvy. If you have a decent waist-booty/hip ratio - you're curvy! Whether you're a size 1 or a size 12.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options

Agreed!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    j
  • hollyeverhart
    Options

Exactly!!
    You don't have to be "big" to be curvy. If you have a decent waist-booty/hip ratio - you're curvy! Whether you're a size 1 or a size 12.

Thank you!!! I wish people could understand that already. My best friend weighs 105 and 5'4 she's very petite but she is still curvy! Tiny waist + wide hips = CURVES!
    !