Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Depends on the lifting style and the type of system they are doing if they are doing a 5*5hl system where they are maxing out then yeah you might grunt some, they are literally pushing the body to failure.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Don't care and probably wouldn't notice heavy breathing, grunting, etc - it's expected ... the weight dropping is just obnoxious. If you can't let the machine or weight down without a giant slam - maybe it's too heavy for you.
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    i personally aint been in a gym for couple of years now, but used to go for a couple hours every day,, gotta say some *noises* are rather off puttin but if the guys fit, hot n sweaty and errm makin *noises* i actually get quite turned on... should i have said that? ... prob shoulda kept it to mysel lol
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Breathing is just part of the whole exercise thing. If you're pushing weights, some noises of effort are surely part of the deal. I don't mind, as long as it's not constant. (When it's constant, I do think it's more about display than effort!)
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    it doesnt bother me, i have my ipod in most of the time so dont really notice what other people are doing :)

Same here. And my personal opinion is if the noises other people make bother you, then stick headphones in your ears or stop going. Everyone works out differently and to me its just a sign that they are pushing themselves. Its no different than the breaths I take while I'm running on the treadmill.
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    its the guys who fake grunt and are like look at me with this massive weight that i can only get up when i swing my entire body and use momentum

i mean i exhale louder when im doing my weight class and its getting to the end of the muscle group and it hurts like a b**** :laugh:
    i also have a few choice words during some of my other classes

people make noise when effort fair enough.........but its a gym not the tennis :wink:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Within reason. But if you're grunting a lot, maybe you need to lower your number of reps and then slowly build it up?
  • soozeeg
    soozeeg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it, i do it too.. as long as your not just standing in front of the mirror flexing and making sounds hah
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't get the screamers or weight droppers, annoying look at me behaviour! A few grunts and groans is fine though.

I never understood weight droppers. That was until I injured my shoulder. I now understand :tongue:
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    I'd much rather hear someone grunting than farting in the gym, I swear some people run on gas

:laugh:

I am so with you on that one!

It's the men who walk up to the mirror in full view of as many people as possible, lift up their vests to admire their abs, stroke their chests and stomach and gush over themselves for ages that come across as big headed....or the ones that chuck the weights against the wall when their reps are finished...why do that?!

It's "Look at me, me man - I lifted and I done!!!"

So sad!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Don't care and probably wouldn't notice heavy breathing, grunting, etc - it's expected ... the weight dropping is just obnoxious. If you can't let the machine or weight down without a giant slam - maybe it's too heavy for you.

Depends some lifts it's more acceptable then others, but you should still avoid it if you can. People dropping the weights after a deadlift makes more sense then someone dropping them after curling.
  • minnie84
    minnie84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i think it depends some you can tell are natural moaners and heavy breathers u can usually tell its just them trying and some times it helps them work out others u can tell are so putting it on it either puts u off or makes u laugh xx
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback everyone. I will keep it in mind tomorrow when I am doing my weights :)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't know how you guys all don't let out some kind of little noise when lifting. Women at my gym do it too. I am not bothered by it because I have my ear buds in. My gym is multi-leveled, though. If I can hear someone straining DOWNSTAIRS over my music, yeah, that's annoying. It has happened.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was all "attention seeking" until I started lifting with my husband. He grunts and groans on his last set as he is really pushing himself and he has no idea he is doing it (especially since he has earphones on). At first, I felt embarrassed, but then I look at what he was lifting and figured if that is what it takes to get it going, I'll take it since I benefit from the results :wink:
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it, i do it too.. as long as your not just standing in front of the mirror flexing and making sounds hah

They might be flexing in a mirror getting ready for a competition. They have to practice their flexes and poses. Making sounds is a bit weird in front of a mirror though! :-)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What is the difference really? Get your workout done, who really cares what others think. Sometimes on my last rep or two I probably do make some sort of noise... not one of those loud screams like I am auditioning for 300. But I never once really thought about what others think about it
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Can you imagine what people like that sound like in bed???

This one popped up while watching the above video....a great 'Candid Camera' type of stunt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTMnaRkIXVU&feature=related
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter to me. What other people do at the gym shouldnt bother anyone unless its directly affecting their own workout.
    Do what ya gotta do!
  • do what you have to and get it done! Weightlifting is individual just as losing weight is too! :)