Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options

Replies

• EA4488
    EA4488 Posts: 16
    Options
    There is no bigger turn off than a guy trying to get attention when lifting. There is a clear difference between someone who is pushing himself hard and someone who is merely trying to sport testosterone. Luckily, the gym I go to isn't filled with meatheads pounding muscle milk and grunting loud- I'd like to keep it that way.
  • carolinalori
    Options
    Doesn't bother me unless I can hear you over my ipod... Then yea, you sound like a steroid junkie..
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    As for dropping weights after the set: that's just obnoxious. I lower to the floor with the weights in control. If I have to gasp a little to do that, I do. More exercise for me.

Its all fun and games til you tear a shoulder or rotator cuff.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My husband just happens to be one of those guys. But when you are leg pressing 900 lbs...you are exerting and sometimes the noise just comes out. Sometimes, when I am really pushing it, I grunt too....not showing off...just getting out that last rep
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When I am in the gym, nobody else matters.
    Those people are nothing to me.

I am there to work, and if I notice anybody, it's because they're in my way.
  • SeeEmWOD
    Options
    If I can hear you through the music on my headphones, you're being too loud. My gym has a "no meatheads" policy, thankfully, and the excessively loud muscle-y guys who roar during their sets are asked to stop or leave. It's a distraction to be working out and have some guy going crazy next to you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless you sound like you're dying, I doubt I'd even notice. Between the music playing at the gym and often my own music in my earbuds, if I'm not right next to you and I can hear you, it might be a bit excessive.

At home, though, I swear like a sailor.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I used to laugh about it until I worked with a personal trainer. I was not quiet about my pain.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    My husband just happens to be one of those guys. But when you are leg pressing 900 lbs...you are exerting and sometimes the noise just comes out. Sometimes, when I am really pushing it, I grunt too....not showing off...just getting out that last rep

Holy crap 900lbs is 20 plates, 10 on each side.
  • BeatlesGirl20
    BeatlesGirl20 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think of it isnt too loud its ok but everyone knows that you havr to breath lol.
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have my earphones in and I'm in my own little world.. would not even notice.. grunt away all you like! lol
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I used to laugh about it until I worked with a personal trainer. I was not quiet about my pain.
    Not everybody is there to go through the motions. And when you push yourself, it's noisy sometimes.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    Egotistical? I usually dont say this, but thats idiotic. When I was in better shape in my youth, I squatted over 500, deadlifted over 700, and could easily leg press 1100 pounds.....exhaling and sometimes loudly almost always was a part of it...if you try to hold your breath with that kind of weight and stress, you can pass out.

Martial arts does the same thing--do you think they have to make those noises when they do kata? No, but it emphasizes what they are doing and some say actually helps with the force of the blow when actually used.

Some people that use much less weight still make the sound, and if it helps them, so be it. Tennis stars make those sounds on heavy volleys or backhands---Monica Seles grunted on every hit.

With that being said, yes, it can be annoying. But its anything but egotistical and I have heard MORE than a fair share of women do it too.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I expect to hear it,and tune it out. It does not effect me so why should I care grunt groan scream exhal away
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Egotistical? I usually dont say this, but thats idiotic. When I was in better shape in my youth, I squatted over 500, deadlifted over 700, and could easily leg press 1100 pounds.....exhaling and sometimes loudly almost always was a part of it...if you try to hold your breath with that kind of weight and stress, you can pass out.

Martial arts does the same thing--do you think they have to make those noises when they do kata? No, but it emphasizes what they are doing and some say actually helps with the force of the blow when actually used.

Some people that use much less weight still make the sound, and if it helps them, so be it. Tennis stars make those sounds on heavy volleys or backhands---Monica Seles grunted on every hit.

With that being said, yes, it can be annoying. But its anything but egotistical and I have heard MORE than a fair share of women do it too.

You forgot to add, if you don't want to hear it.. Planet Fitness is that way
    >

:-D Sorry just had to add that in there!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If I can hear you over the blasting music in my headphones, you're probably a bit on the loud side :wink:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    When you lift heavy weights (heavy is relative to your personal strength) you're going to let out a grunt probably. It's a normal reflex.
  • minnie84
    minnie84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    its just sometimes u know there are some men doing it to have people look at them u can normally tell who actually cant keep but moan and groan xx
  • javajunkee
    Options
    Truthfully, I never paid any attention to those guys in the weight section doing their lifting. When I was a gym rat I would pay more attention to my ipod or be engrossed in conversation with a friend.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Even as a woman I do it to sometimes. Sometimes it takes that loud exhale to get out those last few reps out when you're lifting heavy. Doesn't bother me at all when others do it unless they're being over dramatic :laugh: