Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    The weight dropping was a little startling when I first started going to the gym,but now I dont even notice it. I tend not to pay to much attention to whateveryone else is doing. I did once notice some guy posing in fromt of the mirror blowing kisses to himself that was kinda funny
    No spotter - 85lb dumbbells on an incline bench - I'd end up dropping them (not at full height, but they still made a loud thump).
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    I always think that they guy making the noise is lifting beyond their capabilities, (sorry guys! )
    I absolutely disagree. You are actually pushing yourself to you capabilities.
  • Hecnotha1
    Hecnotha1 Posts: 200
    Options
    I always think that they guy making the noise is lifting beyond their capabilities, (sorry guys! )
    agreed, especially on that last set of the day
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Seconded. If you're not grunting, breathing heavy or cursing, you're not working hard enough.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    With in reason be noisy. You're working out I get it. But I startle easily so don't be quiet the whole time and then loud on the last rep. Gets me every time and I hit my head or drop my weights, its no good ;-)
  • mo_is_here
    Options
    I work out at my work gym so not a lot of people in there at 6am. But when I worked out at Gold's Gym the men there were annoying with their loud yells and throwing weights around like they were Atlas. Now dont get me wrong, when I work out I push myself to the limits and I grunt sometimes or breathe loudly to push out that last rep. But not to be onboxious. I can understand dropping weights when you are really struggling after a set, but it's annoying when it's the same people over and over and they're doing it to just show off.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i'm not saying that it's cool to have someone sound like Victoria Azarenka at Wimbledon (srsly, google that, they got out a decible meter); but a small noise here and there, or the noisily exhaled count on the last rep - that's totally acceptable and kind of expected. you're there to WORK. if it's not work, you're not doing it right.

you have to push yourself, and sometimes, that means you make a small noise.

this is why we all have on earphones. LOL.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

Seconded. If you're not grunting, breathing heavy or cursing, you're not working hard enough.
    Exactly. I am cursing on last reps, especially if I am going to negative fail.
  • Dkittery
    Options
    Noises don't bother me any, I have my music up so loud I don't hear anything unless someone drops weight. What bother's me is people staring, be a gentlemen/women and look with out being noticed. :)
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    What is the difference really? Get your workout done, who really cares what others think. Sometimes on my last rep or two I probably do make some sort of noise... not one of those loud screams like I am auditioning for 300. But I never once really thought about what others think about it

G, you should totally audition for 300, LoL. You've got my vote :-)
  • ESVABelle
    Options

Amen, I'm a girl and on occasion I do the heavy breathing, grunt, grumble, curse....and I work out at home...
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own. If ya gotta grunt to get those last few up, then go for it! I notice at my gym, most people wear earbuds anyway.
  • ESVABelle
    Options
    I will also yell at myself on a run to keep going, almost there, push it out or finish strong....I run alone
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Heavy breathing and grunting due to exertion applies in numerous...ummm...activities.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    For me, the more of a total-body compound movement it is, the more noise I'll make.

If I am silent on deadlifts, I'm just coasting. But I'm not that loud. Planet fitness doesn't allow deadlifts, partly because the grunting is intimidating.

Squats, I usually make a little noise. Especially getting out of the hole.

Everything else, there might be a little noise escaping here and there, but not too terribly much. But noise does not correlate with weights being too heavy. If I can complete the lift with good form, in control, from start to finish without dropping them, then they're not too heavy. Even if I am yelling out George Carlins Seven Dirty Words and then some.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    If you're pushing yourself you're going to make some noise. Everybody does, if you try holding it in your gonna fart. The guys who are yelling when they lift are covering up farts.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    Planet fitness doesn't allow deadlifts, partly because the grunting is intimidating.
    What the actual *kitten*?
  • shasha_84
    shasha_84 Posts: 170
    Options
    i grunt very loudly whenever i hit another mile mark on the treadmill so everyone sees how far I am running :wink:
  • ESVABelle
    Options
    The guys who are yelling when they lift are covering up farts.

^^Why I avoid the gym, lol
  • mwilbur27
    Options
    I don't mind a few grunts and groans but for some reason i dont think I should be able to hear you across the entire gym with my headphones blaring...Just saying. (especially when it's lifting a weight that I could lift without batting an eye.) Follow that up with an hour of looking at your muscles in the giant gym mirrors and youve thus created the recipe for me wanting to throw my shoe across the room at you.