at what weight/size is it acceptable to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• Captian_Dathon
    Options
    I agree, whatever you feel confident at! I have seen an unconfident lady size 4 who doesn't look good and a confident size 16 who can pull it off and look fabulous! I tell my children that confidence in yourself makes you so much more attractive! If only I could live by that though! But maybe they will grow up with it at least!

BEST PARENT AWARD EVER GOES TO ^^^^^^^^
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I plan on ROCKIN a Tankini this summer hopefully in size 10 or 12 after being 16/18s last summer (little self conscience about the tummy still))but thats just me i agree with others whenever your comfortable
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    LOL my bikini wearing days are over...Even when I get down in weight to wear I should be...I have no interest in my bobbies and who hoo hanging out for all to see. I am looking forward though to making my own bathing suit in a vintage design just shorter and in that spandex swimsuit fabric lol
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    I wore one on my honeymoon in Cancun 9 years ago at a 14/185. But you couldn't pay me to wear one now, two kids later covered in stretch marks with a flat belly at an 8-10/159. No way! I agree though, I see people of all sizes look good in them, and some that I can't believe they have the balls to leave the house looking the way they do...but they're comfortable, and it's not ME, so who am I to say??
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love how confident everyone sounds. Even at 29 years old I care what other people think. That is probably because I am a little judgmental myself, its a flaw I am working on. When I see bigger people in bikinis, I always think that they should have known better than put something like that on. They have to realize how bad they look. I honestly think it is fabulous that they are brave enough to say F*** everyone else and that they wear what they want to. Im jealous of that freedom. Even when I lose all the weight I plan on losing, I will never wear a bikini outside of my own yard. My issue is the I had two babies and I have stretch marks issue though.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Whatever weight or size you're most comfortable at, as long as your bikini fits properly. There's no need to be flashing your bits at the beach or pool just because you bought a size or two too small. I have an itsy bitsy bikini that I would like to be able to wear this summer, but I'm not ready for it yet...and the world isn't ready to see that much of me either!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My wife says that string bikinis are the most forgiving of all swimwear because you can adjust them to exactly where the fabric needs to be.
    Good Luck
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    When you put it on, look in the mirror and say, Damn I look good!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Going on looks, I've seen women who could pull one off at 170+ pounds and then there are people like me. I haven't worn one since my son was born and even before that I rarely had the body to pull it off. I just look better in a one piece.
  • TwiFan5
    TwiFan5 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have never worn a bikini but I would love to and eventually I will so this topic is a huge help. ;)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The bikini is a confidence thing. When you feel comfortable with yourself, the confidence will show. If you can smile while you're wearing it, you're fine.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Skin tone is the thing, not size. I imagine someone tall with good skin would look great in a bikini at a UK 14/16, but I am a UK 8 and look awful in one after 2 children and one caesarean.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    <
    Skip the bikini huns.... go for the rubber ring... it's more flattering, don't ya think? :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I've have had bikini's, wore them and now never again. I find it shows off too much skin. Tankini is my thing.
  • allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    I say whenever you're comfortable in one- because even if a girl is skinny minnie, if she's constantly tugging at her bikini or crossing her arms or slouching to cover up, it won't look good!
  • lola2087
    Options
    It depends on which country you are from! I am an american lviing in Paris. Most big girls do not wear bikini's in the US - but in Europe it doesn't matter! It's very liberating!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal decision. If you're comfortable enough with your body to wear a bikini, then that's the acceptable weight and size to wear one.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    "She asked for opinions -- I'm giving mine. When did that become a crime? And yes, I am feeling a bit & defensive."

No-one on here is maligning smokers or skinny people. At 5 6 and 125 I probably qualify for skinny myself. tbh, I could have coped with anything but the shudder.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It depends on which country you are from! I am an american lviing in Paris. Most big girls do not wear bikini's in the US - but in Europe it doesn't matter! It's very liberating!
    I live in Florida. I spend a great deal of time on beaches, at pools and at water parks.

Big girls in the US most certainly do wear bikinis.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    None.

The ONLY standard that matters is the mirror test.

Do you look good.
    No, not to your mother...but REALLY!
    Are you hanging out, flabby or any any way less than peak condition?

It's like guys in speedo's spandex and jammmers in public.
    Don't do it unless you pack the goods.

The right answer will make the difference between looking good a drawing the right attention or being laughed at, lampooned and made fun of.