at what weight/size is it acceptable to wear a bikini?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I suppose I'm just with MaximaLife, I don't understand how they can walk around like that and then wonder why people laugh & make fun of them.

You might find it interesting to know that Mr. Life thinks also it's acceptable to cheat on your significant other if he or she gains weight.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Anyone can wear a bikini...but just because someone can doesn't mean they should! lol!
  • I haven't worn a bikini since I had children. It is AMAZING how the body changes. I would say when all the parts are in the right place. Shapely is nice - size is irrelevant. :wink:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,340 Member
    As a native Floridian, I am at the beach all the time, if I am not at the beach all weekend, I am in a pool. I wear one now. I am a size 13, I wore one last summer at a size 16. Last year was the first year I was confident enough to do so though. I have a certain style I prefer. I like the halter type tops that keep all my stuff covered and the bottoms have to be high enough to cover the part at the bottom of my belly that I dont like and has to cover my whole butt. I think that as long as you *feel* good in it, that is all that matters. I cannot wait to get into a triangle top bikini. That is one of the things I look forward to most.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    I suppose I'm just with MaximaLife, I don't understand how they can walk around like that and then wonder why people laugh & make fun of them.

You might find it interesting to know that Mr. Life thinks also it's acceptable to cheat on your significant other if he or she gains weight.

Yes...you might also find EVERYTHING he says interesting to know...search his username.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    I don't think it is acceptable to wear bikinis. I'd rather everyone left something to the imagination and practice a bit more modesty. You can look cute in a one piece that holds everything in appropriately.

You may be surprised to hear that I wear a bikini precisely BECAUSE it holds everything in place appropriately, unlike one pieces, which have no support built in.

I completely agree! It is exceptionally hard to find a flattering one piece. Most of the time they accentuate the negative.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    I am a firm believer in the idea that no matter what size you are 26 or 6 that wearing clothes that fit and flatter are always the best option. Women who wear clothes that are too tight look bad. Women who wear clothes that are too big look even bigger. Its all about the fit and style. Pick things that fit and flatter your figure. This includes bikinis.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    I am a firm believer in the idea that no matter what size you are 26 or 6 that wearing clothes that fit and flatter are always the best option. Women who wear clothes that are too tight look bad. Women who wear clothes that are too big look even bigger. Its all about the fit and style. Pick things that fit and flatter your figure. This includes bikinis.

This. I'm a size 5 or 4, and I know that I simply cannot wear the swimsuits that have the side cut outs, doesn't look good on the whole "hour glass shape."
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,340 Member

I wore one at a 16 last year..... I have bits of me that are not in ideal shape. I never once had someone point or laugh at me. And I go to the beach at a major college destination. If people didnt like it, they sure as hell didnt make me know that they didn't. And honestly, if they did, I would see that as THEIR flaw, not mine. If they cannot manage to avoid making fun of someone who is enjoying a day at the beach and is not a swimsuit model, then they are seriously lacking character. I am not going to change who I am just because some @$$holes think I should wear a different bathing suit.
  • I wear a bikini and I am a size 6-8 but still I think I look to big to wear one and feel guilty when people look at me when I get in and out of the pool, people must look at me and think she shouldn't be wearing one her size x
  • twilightsm
    twilightsm Posts: 41 Member
    My Ma used to tell me "Just because it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it!"

So... for me personally, I probably wouldn't even get near a bikini until I was a size 12.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member

I believe the statement was "If my wife were to gain weight (never gonna happen), I would leave her and she could have her new love, Food!"
    :noway:
    Something of that nature...

But I agree with previous posters in saying, whenever you feel comfortable. I personally would never wear one, because I am apple shaped and I'm completely embarrassed about showing my stomach, most likely at any weight. When I see an out of shape person wearing a two piece, I think "more power to her!!" :) Then I enjoy my (most likely) very expensive, very well deserved vacation!!
  • EmCarroll1990
    I wear a bikini and I am a size 6-8 but still I think I look to big to wear one and feel guilty when people look at me when I get in and out of the pool, people must look at me and think she shouldn't be wearing one her size x

You're crazy, your stomach's so flat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

I agree so much with this. No matter your size, the right style and fit of clothing is what matters most. Anyone can look good at any size or shape if that person chooses the right clothing.

I'm like others on here. I have a REALLY tough time finding a one-piece that is flattering and supportive. I'm an hourglass, which means larger breasts (that have NEVER been perky, even when I was 10 years old), so support is important. A bikini gives me that.

Not that I'm running around in an itty bitty, teeny weeny one. I choose a style that fits and flatters. But I wear a bikini. I've never noticed anyone pointing or laughing.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    I wear a bikini, and a sarong onthe bottom - but I think 'I am pushing 40, have 2 kids and **** every single one of you on the beach'. Im not there for you.

Wear one, and **** 'em all
  • I wear a bikini and I am a size 6-8 but still I think I look to big to wear one and feel guilty when people look at me when I get in and out of the pool, people must look at me and think she shouldn't be wearing one her size x

I wished, I swear people look at me and think oh dear you should not be wearing that x
  • I suppose I'm just with MaximaLife, I don't understand how they can walk around like that and then wonder why people laugh & make fun of them.

I wore one at a 16 last year..... I have bits of me that are not in ideal shape. I never once had someone point or laugh at me. And I go to the beach at a major college destination. If people didnt like it, they sure as hell didnt make me know that they didn't. And honestly, if they did, I would see that as THEIR flaw, not mine. If they cannot manage to avoid making fun of someone who is enjoying a day at the beach and is not a swimsuit model, then they are seriously lacking character. I am not going to change who I am just because some @$$holes think I should wear a different bathing suit.

I never said that you have to be in PERFECT shape. If I came off as saying otherwise, then I apologise. But I'm pretty sure I made it clear.

There has to come a point where you say "This isn't flattering, I have gut rolls hanging everywhere".
    My Ma used to tell me "Just because it comes in your size, doesn't mean you should wear it!"

I love this.
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    The best thing about the beach is it is the great equaliser.
    There is always someone more perfect, then less perfect than what you think you are......just next to you.
    Who cares? Who's really looking anyway?
    Put a lovely hat and a big smile on and you are halfway there!

Well said, so true.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    there is no magic formula for size & weight.

Some women shun wearing a bikini even though they'd look great in one.

Others will wear one when they have no business at all doing so.

I think a BIG mistake women of any size can make is choosing the wrong style/size bikini and making themselves look very unflattering, when a different stye/size could make them look great.
  • EmCarroll1990
    I wear a bikini and I am a size 6-8 but still I think I look to big to wear one and feel guilty when people look at me when I get in and out of the pool, people must look at me and think she shouldn't be wearing one her size x

I wished, I swear people look at me and think oh dear you should not be wearing that x

You're so silly. And delusional, very delusional.