HCG diet, anyone?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    ...but after being a part of the Ana/Mia community...

You can stop right there. This statement completely voids your defense of a 500 calorie diet.

Injecting or injesting a hormone derived from the urine of pregnant humans solely for vanity is just plain out dangerous and stupid.
    THIS. There is still the acceptance of disorder by using a "diet" that's accepted by extreme desperate people.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I'll bring it up EVERYTIME. If HCG worked as stated, then why are pregnant women hungry? Why aren't they thin?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    well i used it for a month didnt do anything but **** myself up and it is literally a pregnant womans pee

Literally?

Yes, literally. That's what the hormone is derived from.

So they have pregnant women line up and have them pee into a cup and then they Distribute said pee to people??

Because you obviously didn't see my response to your question, here it is again...
    Yep. They "literally" have a pregnant woman pee in a "sterile" cup then isolate and remove the hormone and process it for injection or ingestion.
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey girl.. I almost did it as well... until I talked to the Nurse who would give my my first injection, and then she told me I have to inject the others AHHHHH that alone scared me... She also told me..." I i did this diet and was starving all the time" ..

HCG is a placebo... The only reason you are losing weight is because you are only eating 500 calories. I could inject myself with milkshakes and lose weight eating 500 calories.....

I ran far away from the "clinic" and started this fitness pal thing. I'm on 1200 calorie a day diet and in one 1 week have lost almost 5 pounds!!!!!!!

To each there own... but It was not for me

I agree with this 100%. I did the HCG thing and lost weight ---- but at what cost? I was always hungry - 500 calories is really unforgiveable. It would have been easier eating nothing at all and letting my body get used to THAT instead! I feel like what I did lose was my muscle. That's what HCG claims....--- that you can lose the weight and that none of it will be muscle, but what real documentation does it have on this? Placebo is definitely what I'm thinking as well.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    No way. 500 calories would piss me the hell off.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    well i used it for a month didnt do anything but **** myself up and it is literally a pregnant womans pee

Literally?

Yes, literally. That's what the hormone is derived from.

So they have pregnant women line up and have them pee into a cup and then they Distribute said pee to people??

Because you obviously didn't see my response to your question, here it is again...
    Yep. They "literally" have a pregnant woman pee in a "sterile" cup then isolate and remove the hormone and process it for injection or ingestion.

Yeah Obviously not...

I was too busy throwing up
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    She deleted my posts because I speak the truth. This person is afraid of the truth! Problem is if you want to lose weight FAST you can expect to put it on just as fast! And at the cost of lean mass!
    This is plain silliness!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    She deleted my posts because I speak the truth. This person is afraid of the truth! Problem is if you want to lose weight FAST you can expect to put it on just as fast! And at the cost of lean mass!
    This is plain silliness!

It is the mods deleting your posts, not the OP. But I do agree after a prolong period of being on this diet you would have very little muscle left, but hey at least you would have lost fat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You wouldnt have an *kitten* to hold up your swim suit either!

this will probably be deleted!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    HI!

Of course when this HCG phenomenon started, I was curious just like anyone else who wants to lose weight.

The little video promo about it that I saw was a feature with Dr. Oz.

The part that made me want to turn it off was a person explaining how it worked, and defending the 500 calorie diet. She said something to the effect of 'These people are so obese that we don't have time to let them lose weight conventionally.'

Basically acknowledging that the 500 calorie diet was no more safe than being very obese.

Slow, steady weight loss can be maintained. I once did "my own version" of the Zone and lost about 30 lbs in a month and a half. And then I gained it all back because what I'd done was too extreme and couldn't last (adding a diet pill and a very low calorie count...totally foolish of me.)

There are no wonder tablets, and a recent study by Columbia U explains that even if you lose weight the right way, you may need to continue extra exercise and calorie awareness for up to six years after you reach a healthy weight in order to keep your body from dragging you back to the higher weight. That is how long it takes metabolism to reset.

So...I'm thinking that HCG sounds too good to be true, just like all the other stuff many of us have tried and found to be ineffective.

I think if people are reacting strongly, it's because we're passionate about health, and don't like it when "The Industry" tries to suck in innocent people who believe their claims. Hang in there...you can do it on your own, the healthy way!

(And to the former pro-mia/anna poster, I'm so sorry for what you've been through, and I hope you find a healthy plan that works for you. 500 calories could be pretty confusing to your already taxed body, but you may learn that in time on your own...be well...)
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Why not slap your troubles away with the slap chop? http://youtu.be/UWRyj5cHIQA
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options

That's what im talking about!! I would need a straight jacket and I promise no one would want to be around me! LOLOL Just saying......
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    What is this 5th grade? Geez

After a miserable 30lb regain over the course of 2years I decided to give it a try.

I'm 45lbs down from last february and one of the best decisions I made. I saw no one coming to my door to help me. No offering to help me mentally and physically so I did what was best for me and it is sustainable as long as you change your diet and lifestyle. I was previously pretty healthy but travelling and living on the road took the best of me. I'm feeling great, training for my next half and working at losing the last 30lbs.

Research and don't include other's ignorant opinions as research.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    That is just not a wise move. Our bodies need fuel, good foods which provides nutrients to sustain life. 500 cals is not enough. I know of personally about five people that have done it against my advice and are now back to or bigger than when they started.

If you only have 10lbs you can just cut your calories a little, add more fruits and veggies along with strength training and a bit of cardio and that weight just fall off.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I think the point is if you can lose weight at 2k and eat a good "clean" diet then why try to sustain a diet that is so far below BMR that you could be harming yourself in the long run?

To paint a quick picture for you...most people have a BMR of appx 1200-1600 depending on their height and weight.
    Eating below BMR is like running a marathon with a belt around your chest allowing only half your lung capacity.
    You are in essence starving your vital organs.
    Why would anyone in their "right mind" want to starve vital organs?
    Vital organs being the brain, heart, liver, kidneys, adrenal gland etc...etc..etc...

Quit being lazy and eat well and work out!
  • Ldubb007
    Options
    True but there is a way to "cheer" someone on besides telling them they are stupid for even trying the diet. I'm not speaking of you specifically but I have read some pretty horrible things that people were saying to those trying the diet. For instance, "just drink pregnant lady pee" isn't helpful.... The truth is some folks have tried the diet and have been very successful at it. Yes some gain the weight back but if you arm the person asking the question with facts instead of snide remarks then they can make a more educated decision.:smile:
  • BetterMeN2012
    Options
    I am not going to down you, for trying the diet, we all have to learn. I tried it, lost 15 lbs, and gained the 15 back plus another 15. I know it sucks, but the best way to get off the weight and keep it off is diet and exercise. I am in the position I am in because I cheated. So I just started my quest to loose 50 lbs (It would have only been 35, but decisions, decisions.) Good luck to you, and I hope you reach your goal!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    "Excuse you, I have not been Mia since I was in high school over 12 years ago. Thanks. I think your ignorance completely voids your statement. Solely for vanity? No...not for vanity...for many other reasons. Because my health is deteriorating because I have diabetes II and PCOS, I suffer from depression because of this. And I have no one to blame but myself, and I'm sorry, but the way you just judged me...you can take your advice and shove it."

I was diagnosed with PCOS and IR a little over a year ago. My endocrinologist put me on Metformin and a low carb diet combined with exercise. I finally started seeing some weight loss after several years of gaining even when cutting calories, exercise, etc. I no longer have to take the Metformin, but I sure can tell a difference in how I feel when I up my carbs (ie...I ate way too much sugar and treats at Christmastime.).

Many people like me have to eat lower carb. Have you tried it? There are great Low Carb and PCOS groups on here!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

That's what im talking about!! I would need a straight jacket and I promise no one would want to be around me! LOLOL Just saying......

I would probably gnaw the arm off of my son.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I would probably gnaw the arm off of my son.

Lol

I sent her a PM offering to run dietary numbers for her.
    I'm nice like that!
This discussion has been closed.