Do you have a desk job?

Options

Replies

• grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the bathroom, which is a lot because of the copious amounts of H2O I drink! I do pushups on the sink...Sets of 10 (each one takes about 30 seconds) Wide arms, normal, and close together. I have also heard of people doing things like wall squats and such.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I actually have 2 exercise pedalers for under my desk. It burns about the same as a stationary bike if you take it seriously. I've lost 11+ pounds so far using mine seriously. It is the *only* workout I can do right now, so it must be working! They also make stair steppers and eliptical trainers in mini versions, and many have resistance bands as well.

You can get one as cheap as $25 at Walmart that will fit under standard desks. I recommend measuring your desk height and your legs before getting one so you can know you can pedal while under your desk.

I'm using mine right now :) It takes some getting used to, working and pedaling, but once you get it, it's invaluable! Just be ready to get a little teasing, and invest in WD 40

The mini-stepper's are excellent. I bought one at Walmart for $30 and it's got resistance bands, and I use it whenever I have a 5 minute break even. I don't have a desk job, but I'm a full time student, so I use it on my study breaks and it helps me stay motivated to both study and work out.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So I shut my office door....it felt weird, but this is what I did:

3 x 20 push ups
    3 x 20 sit ups
    3 x 20 squats
    3 x 1 plank

And it felt great!! =) Thanks for the motivation everyone!!!
    I always felt a little more motivated knowing somebody was paying me to exercise...lol
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I get up at the buttcrack of dawn to get my morning walk on the treadmill in.

I too have just resorted to getting up really early and going to get a workout in, I actually find that even though I'm getting up so early I have a ton more energy than I would if I had slept in those extra 2 hours
  • alix1105
    Options
    I'm in the same scenario as you... desk job that it...

i looked up tips on what to do and it had some good info.. including parking farther away then usual so you get the extra walk in, if theres stairs in the building you work in then try to run or walk fast up and down them a few times every hour. you can do sit ups at your desk and push ups too on your breaks. drink lots of water also.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I need some ideas on how to burn some calories while at my 9-5 desk job. What kind of stuff do you do?

Not much unfortunately. I workout in the morning before work, take the stairs at work when I can, and follow a good diet plan. Not much else to do. Sometimes when it's nice out I'll find somebody to take a quick walk with around the building.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch at my desk then use my lunch hour to walk around a route that I created for myself: 3.4 miles in one hour! It's a great workout and I come back to my desk tired and sometimes sweaty (during the summer I change into a workout shirt for my walk) but it gives my brain a reboot too and I work better the rest of the day.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I get outside and walk for breaks. I also always take the stairs and never pass up an opportunity to run extra errands throughout the day. Best thing to do is get yourself a good pedometer.OMRON has several good ones. Try to get in at least 10,000 steps a day. Just having the pedometer will help motivate you to get away from that desk as much as possible and still get your work done.

Good luck to ya!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Everywhere you go, park in the farthest parking spot. Take a walk at lunch. Hula hoop to your fav TV when you get home. The list is enlist if you think about it.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I get up at the buttcrack of dawn to get my morning walk on the treadmill in.

^^^^^^
    This :smile:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    lab job, so it's similar.

i get up early for extra bike time before work, walk as much as possible, take the stairs, stand whenever possible, and exercise after work.
  • MadIrish
    Options
    Every few hours I take a 5 minute break and walk through my office. I work on the first floor of a three floor office so my route: walk 2x around the first floor, up 2 flights of stairs to the second floor, walk through once, up 2 more flights of stairs to the third floor, walk around once, down all flights, 1 more lap around the first floor and back to my desk. Its a great way to get away from the computer for a few minutes.

My agency does offer strength training classes after hours and we are getting one started during the day now. So I will join that. I am giving some consideration to the pedal thing though. Thats a great idea!
  • Dmiller2608
    Dmiller2608 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work from 8-5 behind a desk and I am either glued to the computer screen or to a phone lol, but I bring workout clothes and jog for 30-35 min during my 1hr lunch break.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45am everyday, I walk on my treadmill for 45-60 mins. While at the office I park far away from the door, and at lunch I walk around the building and walk up the 3 flights of stairs a few times. Before I had a treadmill I walked out side, but more like 5am.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    When I'm stuck in the office I usually have an extreme lack of work to do, so just out of boredom I get fidgety. Usually I start off my day with a 60-90 minute walk doing laps around the atrium. During the day, I'll do squats or push-ups. And as I always have music going, sometimes I just get up and dance. (And always feel like I accomplish something when the kid in the cube next to me just starts shaking his head in disbelief and avoiding eye contact.)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When the weather was better I'd take walks during lunch. Now I sometimes walk aimlessly around the office. It's pretty big so it might look like I'm actually on my way to some meeting or the washroom or whatever lol
    Now that it's cold I will get off the bus a stop early and hurry the rest of the way on foot. Same thing on the way home. So that helps me get in a 30 minute walk. Then I do a real workout at home after work :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Maybe with a body like that, YOU should be giving the tips?
  • kewwy1
    kewwy1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think heaps of people have desk jobs these days... but it's nice to get out for a lunch time walk and meet up with friends who work at different offices...

Also I make sure that if I don't get to the gym in the morning before work, I go straight after or have organized some form of exercise.
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My bosses are on the floor above me. When they need a client's file or something, I have to run up. One of my bosses apologized because he kept needing me to come to his office for something. I don't mind. I run up and down the stairs and burn a lot of calories. There is an elevator but taking it would be just silly. I almost always pack a healthy lunch. I also walk home when it is nice out.