Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    18 years ago? No.

A few months/year? Yep.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    First question about him calling...no

Second question about wife...the issue alone,no...you feeling that you may have been owed a call,yes.

Sorry,being honest.

^^^This

Completely agree!!
    I mean why do you even think you deserve a call unless you think she is still yours or something..
  • Glovesave3373
    Glovesave3373 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think bro code has a statute of limitation.

Fully agree.... that would be a NO on both accounts.... You are adults now and have moved on with your own lives... You aren't even close.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking that if you are old enough that the relationship could be 18 years ago you are probably too old to be worrying about bro code anyway. lol.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    18 years ago? No.

A few months/year? Yep.

Agreed......What's the interest anyway????? Better talk to the wife cause she seems to have an interest since she's the one bringing things to your attention. Just saying.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ill state clearly again.
    My apologies... "Permission" was the wrong word to use. A respectful call of notification would have been more appropriate.

Yes My buddy and I are still close. I have not spoken to or seen the ex in over 10 years (there are no lingering feelings at all)

The Ex recently added both of us on Facebook and 3 days ago messaged my wife and asked her if, We (my wife and I) were available to get together (with her and my buddy) 2 weekends from now. My wife inquired if the two of them were together. My wife asked me if I was a aware. I was not.

So why do I care. I care because "My Bro" didn't let me know he was in a relationship with an ex...Not because she was my ex but BECAUSE he is my bro. You are right he doesnt have to check with me...its about mutual respect. MY wife thought I had something for the ex too as I was initially upset and my reaction was visible. That is not the case. Its about respect between 2 guys who have been close friends since the 4th grade. I only applied the Bro code theory in my explanation because it fits. The rule applies on both sides and time limits only apply if the issue is with the Ex.

If you dont get that and cant comprehend then I'm sorry that you have never had a friendship like that where you could understand. When I say he is my Bro I would consider him my brother.

For those that think I'm too "Old" for Bro code ...Maybe the bro code is applied for different reasons at a younger age but to me many of those rules are about respect between guys that have a bond of brotherhood. Age doesn't defy that

Thanks for some of the comments that were legitimate and well thought out. To the others thanks for the foolish answers they were humorous at best.
  • SassyJuliana
    SassyJuliana Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Is this guy for real???
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    There was a lot of fun had at your expense on this one and i gotta say, I both took part and enjoyed it. Sorry, I'm having a tough time buying your most recent rationalization. You know who this really sucks for - your wife. You owe her big........day at the spa, dinner, multiple toe curlings.
    Good luck
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Is this guy for real???
    we're not sure yet :tongue: ....since the whole story wasn't told in the OP's first post...the story continues to change it seems:huh:
    There was a lot of fun had at your expense on this one and i gotta say, I both took part and enjoyed it. Sorry, I'm having a tough time buying your most recent rationalization. You know who this really sucks for - your wife. You owe her big........day at the spa, dinner, multiple toe curlings.
    Good luck
    yea me too...I don't buy the most recent story either. Yes, I agree your last line most definitely applies!!

Seems some come on the boards to tell a story then if the responses don't go their way the story has a way of suddenly taking twists and turns to suit them so they turn out the good guy in the end. Not sure that worked this time though.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Your wife is a woman, she owns the hoo hoo, so she gets to be mad when she wants to be mad.
    So funny! :bigsmile:

I'm loving this thread, especially the people who are taking it seriously!
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    No he doesn't need your opinion, and yes your wife should be pissed that you care about giving permission for someone to see another woman.

This!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    No offense bro, but I think it's kind of funny that you are even asking this.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bro code....REALLY? How old are you?
  • Changing__Christina
    Options
    That would be a no he owes you nothing, and yes she should be pissed about that.

One does not get to control others' love lives, especially nearly two decades later.

I too lack a penis, but thought these sentiments exactly. Why in the world would you care who is dating who if you and your wife are happy? Are you upset because you feel like you have a claim on this woman from 18 years ago? Its hilarious that you think there should be some "Bro Code" with grown men who no longer go to high school and put dibs on their girls. You do that only when you put a ring on a girls finger!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I would like an opinion about the following scenario.
    My ex girl friend from high school ( a semi serious relationship) recently got divorced. I found out today my best friend also from high school has been dating her for a month. (my wife informed me of the latter)

Despite our relationship having ended 17-18 years ago does my best friend at least owe me a quick phone call asking me permission. Out of respect. Which I would have granted.

Additionaly does my wife have any reason to be upset about this?

Are you sure high school was 17-18 years ago?
  • Jettatastic
    Options
    No he doesn't need your opinion, and yes your wife should be pissed that you care about giving permission for someone to see another woman.

THIS

I know you asked for guys to answer but seriously, he doesn't need to ask you, you're a married man now and your wife is upset because you care enough to think you should be asked.
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest you live your life and take care of your wife and keep your own woman happy! As far as asking you for permission get real 17 years later wow it's not High School LOL! Let them get on with their life and you deal with yours!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Uh... I'm gonna go with a NO to both questions!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    my vagina hurts...
  • LHSweeney
    LHSweeney Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    No offense bro, but I think it's kind of funny that you are even asking this.

THIS ^^^^

LMFAO First of all the fact that you would put a men only restriction on a question that involves how your WIFE is allowed to feel, is a huge indicator of questionable emotional maturity.....
    Second >>> I once a relationship is over, the perceived "right to know" is null and void.
    What IS the real purpose of the BRO Code Ex-Dating-Notification Clause?
    1) excuse for those men who are insecure & immature to protect their fragile pride, by imagining some kind of control over their ex girlfriend's behavior or life as if somehow she belonged to you
    2) avoid the perception that some one "got over" on you or that someone might get the idea that this girl somehow would prefer the friend instead of you .... (and that the choice would be hers and not decided between the men)
    3) be able to proclaim that you received the notification first and granted your permission, therefore it isn't a reflection on your ability to maintain possession....
    God some guys are so funny .......Jeez ! So silly ! C'mon!!
    How much better would this have gone if you had just reacted with happy surprise for them instead of insecure, selfish, whining, college boy bro code ? Hate on me if you want but I say in this situation .... Real Man SCORE is a "FAIL"