MEN ONLY: Bro code poll

Options

Replies

• Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The moment you say "I do" you forfit any previous bro code... If it was remotely possible you had feelings for any of your old flames at all once you get married you DO NOT have any feelings for anyone other than your spouse ...regardless of feelings if that makes sense :)

sorry if anyone else has mentioned this I didn't have time to read all the posts.

BOOM, that's what I'm talking about!
  • irapino65
    irapino65 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's been too long. He is within his rights to date her.. I have been teaching the Bro' code to my son and this actually just came up not very long ago.

Rick
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I guess I would say that there really should be one non-related woman that matters(romantically speaking) anything to you, if you're married. So by being married you shouldn't give a crap if your brother is nailing this chick, though you should warn him about any weird crap.
  • Missylydia
    Options
    I actually hope your friend marries your ex.

:drinker:
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I actually hope your friend marries your ex.

:drinker:

AMAZING
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This thread is brilliant. Its either fantastic surrealist comedy or insanity.

I'd love to know how this permission is asked for? is it akin to asking a father for their daughters hand in marriage?

but the question still remains. if permission had been asked, would it have been granted?
  • Missylydia
    Options
    This thread is brilliant. Its either fantastic surrealist comedy or insanity.

I'd love to know how this permission is asked for? is it akin to asking a father for their daughters hand in marriage?

but the question still remains. if permission had been asked, would it have been granted?

It doesn't sound like it, does it? Creepy.
  • Fred77
    Options
    conversation goes like this.

"Sorry Mildred (lets assume the girl is called Mildred) i really like you and would love to date you, but an ex boyfriend of yours from 15 years ago who is now married to someone else wont give me permission. Its the Bro Code."

*Mildred runs off crying

this is clearly a perfectly normal and healthy scenario
  • Missylydia
    Options
    Oh yes.

Happens every day.

I'm just bitter because I was once a Mildred.
  • Missylydia
    Options
    *sighing as I ponder what life could have been, if he hadn't been 'the one that got away'*
  • Fred77
    Options
    *sighing as I ponder what life could have been, if he hadn't been 'the one that got away'*

you should pop round to his house and boil his pet rabbit
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    No he doesn't need your opinion, and yes your wife should be pissed that you care about giving permission for someone to see another woman.

Sorry, I am not saying anything besides ^^THIS^^^ ha ha!
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    No, I wouldn't care - I would actually be disturbed if she called lol.
  • amelio21
    Options
    I know you asked for men to respond, but since everyone disagreed with you, I though I'd chime in. I've been out of high school for over ten years, but it's something about those first loves that are different then the rest of your relationships. Since he's your best friend, then yes, I think he should have at least told you (if not asked you.)

But, being a wife myself, I'm sure I would have been pissed if my husband was annoyed that he didn't tell you. I would be annoyed without letting my wife know!

It's definitely not worth ending a friendship over, I just think it would have been common curtousy to tell you since you're such good friends.
  • Fulminare
    Options
    He should have told you out of respect ....Not because he had to.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    No and no.

17-18 years in the past concerning a 'semi-serious relationship' as you've put it, should be dead and buried. You've met someone new. Your friend is finding someone new too. The past is the past.

As for your wife getting upset over this - I can only understand her being upset that YOU feel so strongly about something concerning someone so far in the past. To her, it may mean you're not over her.

If she's upset over the whole situation in its entirety, she shouldn't be because it's not directly related to her in any way.
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options

you should pop round to his house and boil his pet rabbit

Now you are freaking me out
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how much time you spend with this woman.
    If you havent seen her for the time she shouldnt be sad at all.
    Whereas i could understand if she had to be around her like every day or something..
    The only reason why i can think that your wife is upset is that your best friend called to ask..
    Like you might still like her and have a problem with it..
    He should not have asked, thats proberlly the bit that is most likely to cause a problem...
    Like "why did he ask if you were ok with it? Why wouldnt you be ok with it? Do you still like her? What havent you been telling me?", etc, etc...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the guys here, No he should not have had to give you a heads up. As for your wife, if she notices it bothers you and that you might still have feelings, then she might have cause to be upset. Time to pay her some attention and let her know your very happy with your choice. Never live in the past Bro.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    since this relationship ended 18 years ago why should it matter who she dates etc etc ??? also since you are married why do you need to be involved unless you want to rekindle a past romance