It's tax season! How are you using your refund?

Options

Replies

• NettyB62
    Options
    "If" I get a refund..I will use it to catch up on some bills.
  • RonnieBigGunz
    Options
    If I get a refund, a powertec power rack.
  • NettyB62
    Options
    Wife is going to Germany in May for two weeks. She'll take most of it for spending money. I'll spend the rest on booze, cigars and hookers while she's gone.

OMG! LMAO!
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    to pay the divorce lawyer!!!

I wish!!! My tax refund gets kept by the IRS because when we filed jointly my hubs f'd me royally and we owe the IRS over $5k in back taxes!

Haven't been with the dude in nearly 4 years but can't afford to pay for the divorce. :(

I got screwed the year I got divorced with taxes too. I had a refund coming to me but we filed jointly so he just kept it all!!! buttholes

My ex left me at the very end of 2010, so we filed separately last year. I got a decent refund, and he had to pay at least as much as I got refunded. Sweet, sweet justice!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Married, 1 income, 2 kids. Got our taxes done this morning and we are getting a HUGE refund. Hubs is putting a lift kit on the truck, I am getting some new workout gear, getting a new sectional and entertainment center and putting a chunk down and a new vehicle of some kind. We are debt free so we dont have to pay any cc's or medical bills or anything like that. Oh and the kids are getting a trampoline! :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've never received any money back from my taxes. But if I did, it'd be going towards paying my Visa.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not getting a refund. I decided I don't want to give the Federal government an interest-free loan for 11 months every year, so I adjusted my withholding. I owe something like $7. Meanwhile, what *would* have been my tax refund has been sitting in my bank all year, earning interest for *ME* and not the government.

I'd like to do the same thing but I don't know how to do the math so that I don't have to pay in a good chunk!
  • rltolle
    rltolle Posts: 17
    Options
    We are going to pay our land taxed for the year and pay off our kitchen cabinets and appliances we bought.
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Refund I wish! Would use it on a tattoo for starters but it has been like 7 years since I received a refund that I could buy something other than a tank of gas.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    My brother gets $5k most years. Not sure why you would loan the GOV your money, but that's what they do. Dump that $5k into savings or something and at least get some interest on it.
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I wish!!! My tax refund gets kept by the IRS because when we filed jointly my hubs f'd me royally and we owe the IRS over $5k in back taxes!

Haven't been with the dude in nearly 4 years but can't afford to pay for the divorce. :(

I got screwed the year I got divorced with taxes too. I had a refund coming to me but we filed jointly so he just kept it all!!! buttholes

My ex left me at the very end of 2010, so we filed separately last year. I got a decent refund, and he had to pay at least as much as I got refunded. Sweet, sweet justice!

for me it was end of 09, he talked me into filing jointly but then kept my share of the refund...and yes, the next year I definitely made out nicely with my refund being a single mom with kids! sweet justice is right! now this year he is asking me for part of my refund for medical bills. Lovely exes.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    After I max out my Roth for 2012, the rest will go into savings!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Refund? What is this refund you speak of? Perhaps in a time forgotten I may have gotten one.......
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options

My ex never files - the only thing good about still being technically married is I file "Married filing separately" so at least they have his name on record that he should be filing, lol!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Paying for the treadmill we ordered... and the rest goes towards my college tuition.

Assuming that we get that much of a refund this year. It's going to be a weird one this time...
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much we will get. We file a 2 as a married couple so I assume they will only give us a little bit probably. Only my husband works and I file my loans and this money usually goes towards some type of debt and then the rest into savings. I am more hoping that I qualify for need based grants again since I barely made a 1000 dollars this year.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Not getting a refund. I decided I don't want to give the Federal government an interest-free loan for 11 months every year, so I adjusted my withholding. I owe something like $7. Meanwhile, what *would* have been my tax refund has been sitting in my bank all year, earning interest for *ME* and not the government.

I'd like to do the same thing but I don't know how to do the math so that I don't have to pay in a good chunk!

I used some online calculator, I don't remember where I found it. I didn't have to do anything fancy; just adjusted the number of exemptions. I'm a single guy, and claim 2. I don't know why it's 2 instead of 1; I just know that's what it is. lol
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    A new couch, loveseat, pay off my daughter's braces and what's left will go into savings for the 1/2 beef we're buying and fuel oil for heating. Maybe if we're lucky, there might be a little left to go in the vacation account.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I get a really big refund, it's like my savings account. I use it for the summer since I'm a 10 month employee.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Either a new Chi Hair straightner or and Ipad.

And of course a day trip to disney land and the rest will go towards moving.