It's tax season! How are you using your refund?

Options

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    What's a refund? Do you realize it was your money to begin with?

which is why it is called a "refund". Refund means to give back, especially money. To return or repay. Which WOULD imply that it is my money that the government is giving me back.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Not getting a refund. I decided I don't want to give the Federal government an interest-free loan for 11 months every year, so I adjusted my withholding. I owe something like $7. Meanwhile, what *would* have been my tax refund has been sitting in my bank all year, earning interest for *ME* and not the government.
    ^^^^^^^
    Another person who sees this scam for what it really is.
    A hidden tax on the poor.

Woah...I need to get in on this...wonder if it works the same way in Canada...
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Typically always got back somewhere between $2-$3,000, but I adjusted my W4 last year in an attempt to keep Uncle Sam from taking more than his share, so we'll see how close I came to it this year.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Bills Bills Bills and maybe a memorial tattoo for my niece who past away

Condolences :(
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    To pay off the $$$ we are spending right now to finish our basement....and if there's any left over (I seriously doubt there will be), it will go towards our Hawaii trip in June.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Since I'm only getting 132 bucks, saving it for maybe a night out or perhaps some new workout clothes. Well, 132 so far. I still have to fill out all my tuition info and I may get a bit of a refund from that.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Going on a trip to JA and staying at the Grand Palladium for my BFF's 40th birthday bash and DENTAL WORK...LOTS OF IT~!
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Paying it on a credit card :ohwell:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    We are paying off a credit card and than taking a vaction to Universal studios. lol
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Not always. 50% of the people that get a refund don't even pay any taxes.

I've never quite understood this at alllllll. But it does happen.
    My husband's aunt gets back $3000 a year, has no kids, has no job, is not married.
    WTH?

Out and out redistributing the wealth. Half of us pay for the other half to get tax refunds. Most families making more than $80K will either break even or pay in unless they have multiple children. Pretty sad really. If I were single and had not kids I'd probably be getting $600-$700 back very year.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    refund?! what is that?
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I personally always owe a little bit at tax time (only about 100 though), I only let the tax I will actually owe come out. But my ex husband claims the little one every year since he makes less than I do and will have a larger refund. We split the money every year. I am putting my half into my savings account for my new wardrobe when I am hot and skinny!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Savings.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options

Not always. 50% of the people that get a refund don't even pay any taxes.

I've never quite understood this at alllllll. But it does happen.
    My husband's aunt gets back $3000 a year, has no kids, has no job, is not married.
    WTH?

Out and out redistributing the wealth. Half of us pay for the other half to get tax refunds. Most families making more than $80K will either break even or pay in unless they have multiple children. Pretty sad really. If I were single and had not kids I'd probably be getting $600-$700 back very year.

That's not what CNN wants us to believe.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    After paying off a bill or two, and putting a few dollars in savings... we're adopting a shelter dog =)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't get refunds. I have my taxes finely tuned so that I neither owe nor get more than $50.

Also, I work two jobs, have three children and make pretty decent money. I just don't want Uncle Sam to have that money all year long, I want it in MY pocket. I pay plenty of taxes, I just don't overpay them.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Not getting a refund. I decided I don't want to give the Federal government an interest-free loan for 11 months every year, so I adjusted my withholding. I owe something like $7. Meanwhile, what *would* have been my tax refund has been sitting in my bank all year, earning interest for *ME* and not the government.
    ^^^^^^^
    Another person who sees this scam for what it really is.
    A hidden tax on the poor.

Woah...I need to get in on this...wonder if it works the same way in Canada...

Don't get me wrong, I still pay taxes. I'm not getting a free ride. :) It's just that my paycheck is set up to take only what I'll end up owing, and no more. Well, give or take a couple bucks, since, like I said, I owe the Feds about $7.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    us too......
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Going to pay to get our house refinanced. Since the rates are half of what were paying now!
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im going to Tokyo JAPAN!!! Konichiwa!!! Me, My husband and daughter are going to visit my sister and her family and we are meeting in tokyo. Soooo Excited!