Please help me get this cottage cheese down :)

Options

Replies

• walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Lasagna

...my wife (of Italian descent) would have you strung up for this...

Lasagna should be made with Ricotta

Let her string me up too. Gag ricotta or cottage cheese. I would rather endure the pain of being strung up than putting one bite of either in my mouth!
  • It has to be large curd with pineapple.. with salt and pepper for juat a little seasoning ..
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Do you like the texture of pudding? If so, whip the cottage cheese in a blender or food processor and add a few stawberries. If you wish to sweeten it, add half a packet of sweetner, or a scoop of protein powder. I do this with a full 500 ml container which I refill with the whipped mixture and then have about a half cup for desert or snack. Yum! :happy:

what a great idea!! have you tried freezing it? was it creamy or icy? I like cottage cheese fine, but it's not my favorite thing. But it's very helpful in getting to 1gm of protein per lb of body weight goal. Here's a good one too: first, make homemade cranberry sauce by boiling the cranberries with stevia or the sweetener of your choice. Have to cut down the amount of water because the sweetener won't gel up like sugar would. Add a bit of orange zest if you like that. let it cool. In a bowl mix one carton of Chobani no fat yogurt in your favorite flavor (black cherry is just one good choice), 1/4 to 1/2 cup of small curd 2% cottage cheese, and 1/2 cup of the cranberry sauce. eat it in layers like a sundae or mix together. very tasty!

Use 2% cottage cheese and NOT the fat-free. Based on my research, the fat free is just not as good. To me it's worth the tiny number of fat grams. If you really want to eat cottage cheese you may even have to try regular and make cuts other places.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Do you like the texture of pudding? If so, whip the cottage cheese in a blender or food processor and add a few stawberries. If you wish to sweeten it, add half a packet of sweetner, or a scoop of protein powder. I do this with a full 500 ml container which I refill with the whipped mixture and then have about a half cup for desert or snack. Yum! :happy:

what a great idea!! have you tried freezing it? was it creamy or icy? I like cottage cheese fine, but it's not my favorite thing. But it's very helpful in getting to 1gm of protein per lb of body weight goal. Here's a good one too: first, make homemade cranberry sauce by boiling the cranberries with stevia or the sweetener of your choice. Have to cut down the amount of water because the sweetener won't gel up like sugar would. Add a bit of orange zest if you like that. let it cool. In a bowl mix one carton of Chobani no fat yogurt in your favorite flavor (black cherry is just one good choice), 1/4 to 1/2 cup of small curd 2% cottage cheese, and 1/2 cup of the cranberry sauce. eat it in layers like a sundae or mix together. very tasty!

Use 2% cottage cheese and NOT the fat-free. Based on my research, the fat free is just not as good. To me it's worth the tiny number of fat grams. If you really want to eat cottage cheese you may even have to try regular and make cuts other places.

I agree about the fat free not being nearly as good. Just tastes "off" to me. I not only get the 2% but I go for 4% and even 10% when it's available... full fat just tastes better. And I'm not afraid of fat.
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know you said anything besides the fruit addition, but I still will tell you how I love mine. I cut white grapes up in it and then put minced garlic in it. I Love it like this.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Why, oh why, are you forcing yourself to eat something that you don't like??

That's so sad. There are billions of foods out there to eat, don't ever eat something that will make you gag.

That's so sad :( I'm so sorry that you are doing that to yourself. I like cottage chese, but I don't ever eat it. I just don't want to. I'm still aive and healthy.
  • netty1959
    Options
    i buy the one with added chive and onion and mix it into a omelette
  • sschofield11
    Options
    Sliced Chicken breast, diced tomato and salsa with the cottage cheese. Heat it up just a bit and it is delicious!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My question is, why are you trying to force yourself to eat something that you don't like?
    Maybe putting a scoop on a McDonald's Quarter pounder will help....

Seriously, I learned to eat cottage cheese mixed with fruit, but there are some healthy foods I tried and just won't eat.
    TOFU!
    Just bury me now - alive!
    I'd rather croak than eat that stuff.
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people do what I'm about to do...which is to answer a question not asked, but...

Why do you want to choke down cottage cheese if you don't like it? Particularly if its the texture you don't like, what about yogurt? Or a dairy based smoothie?

I concur...why force yourself to eat something you don't like. How with that be maintainable without making you totally miserable. Eating healthy should be enjoyable, and tasty and not be a torture session every time you open the fridge.

With so many options to choose from find some other low cal treat that will benefit you in the same way to enjoy instead. We are so mean to ourselves sometimes. Myself included. Happy eating!!!:happy:
  • CynselB
    Options
    I remember years ago making a diet cheesecake. Put a cup of cottage cheese in a blender or food processor and add 1egg, splenda, and vanilla extract. Pour into a pie plate and bake until set. It is pretty dry but not bad. Another thing you could try is cottage cheese mixed into sugar free jello. Lime is very good with some crushed pineapple. Hope these ideas help.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    First, don't eat it if you don't like it, however if you are determined you can mix 1/2 cup with 6 egg whites and veggies, cook it and have a high protein breakfast. It eliminates the texture of the collage cheese. But seriously don't eat or buy it if you don't like it, lots of other foods are out there that are yummy to you.
  • GraceOrr
    Options
    i just switched brands, to simply cottage cheese, and it is amazing. I will never eat the old brand again. I was buying the store brand and didnt realise how awful it was until i switched.
    I know this may sound gross but my mom use to add a little mayo to hers and she loved it. I just eat it plain.
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options

mint idea!!!
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Go to www.dashingdish.com and she has a bunch of recipes for 'shakes' that use cottage cheese as the base and they are really good. My favorite is the peanut butter/butterscotch one, but she has about 15-20 recipes.
  • cball3394
    Options
    I suggest greek yogurt! I hate cottage cheese. its the worst. but greek yogurt is natural, fat free and delish. It also comes in a ton of flavors and i normally only 140 a serving which is pretty good considering it feels me up!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Try thinking of it as tiny bits of mozzerella cheese. That is what it reminds me of and I love, love, love it! I eat a cottage cheese double every morning as breakfast. So yummy!
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    try a different cottage cheese. i love cottage cheese. sometimes the flavor changes depending on whether its fat free, 2 percent etc
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Lately i've been mixing mine with Greek yogurt. Also, try the small curd.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    if you dislike it that much, DON'T eat it!