OATMEAL IDEAS!!! to you lovers out there...

Options

Replies

• Michelle333
    Michelle333 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have never made steel cut oats this way, but going to try it tomorrow night. Thanks!!
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    First you have to make the basic Oatmeal Mix which makes about 4 cups and can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container.

Oatmeal Mix

3 cups quick-cooking oats

1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp nonfat dry milk

2 Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

Cherry-Almond Oatmeal

1/2 Oatmeal Mix (see recipe above)

2 Tbsp dried cherries

1 Tbsp slivered almonds

1 cup fat-free milk, divided

1) Combine the Oatmeal Mix, dried cherries, almonds, and 1/2 cup of the milk in a medium microwaveable bowl.

2) Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and continue to microwave at 30-second intervals until it reaches the desired consistency. (I did 1 30-second intervals for a total of 1.5 minutes but your microwave may vary and I like mine thick.) Serve with the remaining 1/2 cup milk
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been using the Better Oats brand flavored oatmeal. I really like the Blueberry Muffin. It has flax seeds and real blueberries in it. Also it is old fashioned oats, which is my favorite. I normally make my own, but I had found these in the clearance bin and they are so good.
    When I am out of these packs I will make my own putting a spoon of flax seeds in it. I normally like just a timy bit of sugar and butter too. Hungry Girl has a recipe for making oatmeal in a crock pot. I would like to do that but I am the only one to eat it so that seems like a lot of trouble. I also saw one for crock pit oatmeal on Allrecipes.com. Looked good and I thought of ways to lighten it up.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I add protien powder to mine most of the time

I tried doing that and it turned out DISGUSTING! The protein powder clumped all up and wouldn't stop clumping. It tasted like crust in my oatmeal... I love the powder in shakes but not in oatmeal!
  • jaxinsmom
    Options
    me too, it's really tasty:) I get the quaker high fiber maple brown sugar and put vanilla or chocolate protein powder in it;) YUMM:)
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I eat Better Oats Oat Revolution Maple and Brown Sugar instant. I love that stuff and usually get it for $1 a box and it has 6 pkgs. Does not even need anything added to it!

I used to eat instant until I found out how horrible they are for people and their waistline. That is why I use regular oatmeal and add my own berries, bananas, honey, flax seed, etc.
  • dntworribhappi
    dntworribhappi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    So many yummy ideas-where to start? I like mine 7 whole grain oat mix cooked with frozen cranberries, then add cinnamon, nutmeg, & touch of agave.
  • jaxinsmom
    Options
    bump
  • offthewall8704
    Options
    I put a little Splenda brown sugar, a tablespoon of fat free half and half and sprinkle a little shredded coconut. It's delicious!
  • ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    bump
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have tried eating oatmeal soooooooo many times and I haven't been able to do it, however, I finally found a delicious way of eating it and I hope others will like it too :-) I got this recipe off the happy herbivore blog but modified a little. I use Quaker 1-minute oats and make it drier than the package recommends (3/4c dry oats, 1/3c water). Boil the water and add the oats and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/4C pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!!) and 1-2 TBLS raisins or chopped prunes (nuts or seeds would also be delicious!), cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to taste then drizzle with a little maple syrup and serve. It is absolutely delicious!!!! :happy:
  • Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Try an oatmeal pancake -
    Mix one packet of oatmeal (use cinnamon variety or just add some cinnamon) and 1/2 cup egg beaters. Mix together and cook with no stick spray. Put a little fat free whipped cream on top and strawberry or banana slices on top. Delicious!
    [/quote

YUM! I have to try this!!! ]
  • cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1 T cashew butter mixed into a cup of oatmeal! yum!!!

also add unsweeted shredded coconut to and banana to get really jiggy with it.
  • mandiemahoney
    mandiemahoney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I have a Healthy Challenge group on Facebook. Every week we focus on a new food. Next week is oats. This info will be awesome to share. Thanks!!!!
  • pizzanut
    Options
    walnuts are very good in oatmeal!
  • sdb903
    sdb903 Posts: 85
    Options
    bump!!!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice.
    Fresh chopped apple and apple pie spice.
    Frozen berries (a rasp/blue/blackberry blend is my favorite).
    Fresh peaches.
    Walnuts and a bit of maple syrup.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal and a boiled egg just about every morning. Usually, I toss in a handful of berries, some nuts, some flaxseed, and sweeten with honey .
    But my favorite way is with a tsp vanilla and coconut flakes. Tastes like coconut pie!
  • AMYinKANSAS
    AMYinKANSAS Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with oat meal???????? ewwwwww
  • elledo
    elledo Posts: 80
    Options
    Bump :) so many tasty ideas!