OATMEAL IDEAS!!! to you lovers out there...

Options
123457»

Replies

• jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    wow, what great ideas to wake up to! enjoyed reading every single one
    this morning i had peanut butter and cocoa powder... creamy, delicious, YUM!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My mom introduced me to steel cut oatmeal and it's now what I eat every single morning. I put a small handful of blueberries in mine as it's cooking on the stove along with one packet of Splenda. Then I round off my breakfast with a thing of yogurt and a glass of milk.

9999430.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wilkyway
    wilkyway Posts: 151
    Options
    Flaxseeds, a scoop of protein powder (currently panna cotta flavour), those two are almost always in my mix! Then I'll just add whatever I feel like adding =)
  • Selyan
    Selyan Posts: 51
    Options
    cottage cheese with oat meal???????? ewwwwww

That was what I thought too, until I tried it. Can't say it looks good, but the taste is awesome!
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to add chopped apples to the SCO for say the last 2 min of boiling. Then I will stir in some of my homemade apple butter. mmm...

Some REALLY great ideas, here!
  • maritimemom
    Options
    Bump! Lots of great ideas! Thanks!
  • NCShar
    NCShar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put the toppings in before microwaving - mostly because I'm lazy! It's easier and less messy to put everything in one tupperware to take to work. I think either way will work!
  • shadshad
    Options
    Love my Quaker oats.......boil it with water and then add yoghurt and a tinge of salt....all set for a yummy breaker with some warm boiled egg whites.....the thing about oatmeal is that I don't get tired of it and have the same menu for all mornings.
  • fatnomo100
    Options
    Bump!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I add 10g dessicated coconut to mine and it feels really special. It's good for days when I need to consume more calories because I'm doing lots of exercise.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been using the Better Oats brand flavored oatmeal. I really like the Blueberry Muffin. It has flax seeds and real blueberries in it. Also it is old fashioned oats, which is my favorite. I normally make my own, but I had found these in the clearance bin and they are so good.
    When I am out of these packs I will make my own putting a spoon of flax seeds in it. I normally like just a timy bit of sugar and butter too. Hungry Girl has a recipe for making oatmeal in a crock pot. I would like to do that but I am the only one to eat it so that seems like a lot of trouble. I also saw one for crock pit oatmeal on Allrecipes.com. Looked good and I thought of ways to lighten it up.

I LOVE Better Oats, I though I'd try them out one day to give oatmeal another shot because I couldn't stand eating it before. Now I'm addicted them. I like the Apple and Cinnamon flavor...doesn't take long to make and it's filling.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    normally I do steel cut oats with 1 tbsp brown sugar, pinch of salt, 1 Tbsp low-fat peanut butter, 1/2 a ripe banana OR 1/3 cup pumpkin, then I will add various things like chia seeds, Neal's Yard Omega Seed mix (1 tsp), pumpkin seeds or almonds. Yum!!!

( I do this with Bob's Red Mill Seven Grain Hot Cereal too - takes less time to cook as Bob's Steel Cut Oats)
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I use to love oatmeal, but still felt empty after I'd have a packet from Quaker. Will try these additions.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I use to love oatmeal, but still felt empty after I'd have a packet from Quaker. Will try these additions.

That's because the packets are just pure sugar. That is why a lot of people on this thread are using regular oatmeal and adding things to it. It only takes like 1 minute on the stove and It is a lot more filling!
  • rachelw16
    Options
    Bump!
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yum. Got to try some of these.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My 1st post here.
    This is the oatmeal I like to eat:

Slow Cooker, Cherry Almond Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    Servings: 5 1-cup servings
    Ingredients

* 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
    * 1 apple, peeled and grated (approx. 1 cup grated); or 1/2 cup
    unsweetened applesauce
    * 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    * 1-1/2 cups water
    * 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
    * 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    * 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (omit or substitute
    margarine for lactose-free, vegan)
    * 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    * 2 teaspoons ground flax seed
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * Optional garnishes: toasted sliced almonds, maple syrup,
    additional almond milk or butter

Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add
    all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover,
    and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings,
    if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof
    bowl. Add 1/3 cup almond milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue
    cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking
    time 1 hour.

Make it ahead and reheat leftovers. Freezes well too.

I now leave the dried cherries out. I prefer to add a few chopped up bits right before eating...Or another fruit of choice.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just found this on pinterest, Havent tried it, but it sounds very good!
    Slow Cooker, Banana & Coconut Milk Steel-Cut Oatmeal
    By Monica Servings: 7 (3/4-cup) servings
    Ingredients
    •2 medium ripe bananas, sliced (approx. 2 cups)
    •2 (14 oz) cans light coconut milk*
    •1 cup water
    •1 cup steel cut oats
    •2 tablespoons brown sugar
    •1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces (omit or substitute margarine for lactose-free, vegan)
    •1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    •1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    •1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    •2 teaspoons ground flax seed
    •1/4 teaspoon salt
    •Optional garnishes: additional sliced bananas, chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts, toasted coconut, maple syrup, additional brown sugar, additional coconut milk or butter
    Directions
    Coat inside of 3-1/2 quart (or larger) slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all ingredients (except optional toppings) to slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on low for 7 hours. Spoon oatmeal into bowls; add optional toppings, if desired. Store leftovers in refrigerator. Freezes well.

To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup milk or water. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.

Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.

Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 6 pts per 3/4 cup serving

*Find coconut milk in the Asian aisle of your grocery store.
  • bobbi6440
    bobbi6440 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Checkout the Hungry Girl web site. Search growing oatmeal bowls.