THE Team ~ Week 7~ March 20th - 26th

Options
Week 7 – T.H.E (Trying Hard Everyday) Team
moving.jpg
Think of yourself as a toy train. All toy trains de-rail now and then. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on track. Then venture forth into new horizons, even to places those around you do not have the courage to go.

This week has been full of some challenges and some triumphs! Lets get in gear and make this next week even better!

Over the past week I’ve done some research on eating for a healthy heart (family history of it and I wanna make sure I do good) and have made some changes to my MFP goals to not only lose weight but to maintain a heart healthy diet. Here are a few things I wanted to share that I think are important to remember when following any diet for health and weight loss.

*Sodium- Occurs naturally in healthy foods and not so naturally in other foods. Your body needs it to help keep you hydrated, HOWEVER, A heart healthy diet should include no more than 2400mg of sodium per day. If you are retaining water, check your sodium levels. It is possible you are eating too much sodium in your diet which is why you are holding onto extra water your body doesn’t really need. I added this to my MFP goals to monitor and HOLY MOLY I was over by a lot the past couple days.

*Fats- Yes, heart healthy diets include fat! In fact, about 30% of your daily calories should be healthy forms of fat with only about 8-10% of your fat calorie intake being Saturated fat. Skip the trans fats all together. If you would like some help calculating how many fat grams you should allow, visit http://www.nhlbisupport.com/cgi-bin/chd1/step1intro.cgi for a quick little fill out form to get your numbers. (make sure you include exercise calories your eating when calculating for appropriate numbers)

*LABELED REDUCED & LOWER (fat, salt, ect)- What Im talking about are those labels that say “reduced fat” or “reduced sodium”. These labels are the :devil: spawn because while they make you think the product is healthier, in reality (according to the FDA) the levels of fat or salt could be just a little less than the original version and still outside the healthy range. Believe it or not, the biggest culprit I found in my cupboard?…. Low sodium chicken broth that I use weekly to make soup… YIKES! (note to self...use more water than broth..lol) Either way…look at your labels to see if it truly is lower or reduced and worth it..

*Are you tired all the time?? Try adding a multivitamin to make sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs. If that doesn’t work, try upping your calories by a couple hundred…its possible your not getting enough to eat which will effect your metabolism and energy levels. If that’s not it….Sleep!! Aim for at least 8 hours every night!

*Weigh in BEFORE you workout, not after (the trainer at my gym says so and although she had a reason WHY…I cant remember at the moment)

AND… last but not least…
After you weigh in today, put those scales AWAY so you aren’t tempted to hop on it again until NEXT FRIDAY...:laugh: :laugh:

Have a wonderful week everyone!!

Replies

• LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Week 7 – T.H.E (Trying Hard Everyday) Team
    moving.jpg
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Think of yourself as a toy train. All toy trains de-rail now and then. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on track. Then venture forth into new horizons, even to places those around you do not have the courage to go.
    _______________________________________________________________________________

This week has been full of some challenges and some triumphs! Lets get in gear and make this next week even better!

Over the past week I’ve done some research on eating for a healthy heart (family history of it and I wanna make sure I do good) and have made some changes to my MFP goals to not only lose weight but to maintain a heart healthy diet. Here are a few things I wanted to share that I think are important to remember when following any diet for health and weight loss.

*Sodium- Occurs naturally in healthy foods and not so naturally in other foods. Your body needs it to help keep you hydrated, HOWEVER, A heart healthy diet should include no more than 2400mg of sodium per day. If you are retaining water, check your sodium levels. It is possible you are eating too much sodium in your diet which is why you are holding onto extra water your body doesn’t really need. I added this to my MFP goals to monitor and HOLY MOLY I was over by a lot the past couple days.

*Fats- Yes, heart healthy diets include fat! In fact, about 30% of your daily calories should be healthy forms of fat with only about 8-10% of your fat calorie intake being Saturated fat. Skip the trans fats all together. If you would like some help calculating how many fat grams you should allow, visit http://www.nhlbisupport.com/cgi-bin/chd1/step1intro.cgi for a quick little fill out form to get your numbers. (make sure you include exercise calories your eating when calculating for appropriate numbers)

*LABELED REDUCED & LOWER (fat, salt, ect)- What Im talking about are those labels that say “reduced fat” or “reduced sodium”. These labels are the :devil: spawn because while they make you think the product is healthier, in reality (according to the FDA) the levels of fat or salt could be just a little less than the original version and still outside the healthy range. Believe it or not, the biggest culprit I found in my cupboard?…. Low sodium chicken broth that I use weekly to make soup… YIKES! (note to self...use more water than broth..lol) Either way…look at your labels to see if it truly is lower or reduced and worth it..

*Are you tired all the time?? Try adding a multivitamin to make sure your body is getting the nutrients it needs. If that doesn’t work, try upping your calories by a couple hundred…its possible your not getting enough to eat which will effect your metabolism and energy levels. If that’s not it….Sleep!! Aim for at least 8 hours every night!

*Weigh in BEFORE you workout, not after (the trainer at my gym says so and although she had a reason WHY…I cant remember at the moment)

AND… last but not least…
    After you weigh in today, put those scales AWAY so you aren’t tempted to hop on it again until NEXT FRIDAY...:laugh: :laugh:

Have a wonderful week everyone!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Weigh in before because after your body can fill up with fluid (like if your hands are swollen after a workout, mine usually are) and then you'd be filled with water weight vs. your real weight.

See, I listened! LOL Weighing in in 10 hours....
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Weigh in before because after your body can fill up with fluid (like if your hands are swollen after a workout, mine usually are) and then you'd be filled with water weight vs. your real weight.

THATS IT!!! Thanks hon!! Way to pay attention in class.... LOL You rock!
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Shhh, quiet about weighing in - I told ya, they are on to us!! :wink:
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

Shhh, quiet about weighing in - I told ya, they are on to us!! :wink:

But *I* am allowed! :wink: Cos it's already Friday here :drinker: . So, here it comes:

dewdrop - SW 134/GW 124/CW 131/ Loss 1 pound

- :drinker: so I'm gonna make a ticker now :wink: .

LI4g, thanks for all the useful info! I think there are some bits of advice that I missed in your (plural now) messages last week :ohwell: - good that the topic is saved in My Topics. :wink:

Keep up the good work, everyone, sweating at the gym and all that :flowerforyou: and Lulubar, keep your eyes on the Sit-ups Topic, I finally did the test - yeppie.
  • mncardiojunkie
    mncardiojunkie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Can I join? Stillkristi referred me....
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options
    well I am happy to say that I have had a great week not counting yesterday although I did end up going to the gym yesterday but only for my hour of cardio on the eliptical...

SW 317 / GW 150 / CW 310 / lose this week 5 pounds

and lots of inches I cant believe it... My hubby pulled out a pair of my favorite shorts I wore when we first met I put them on and I need to lose about 4 more inches to get them buttoned so that is my challanged for my vacation in May ... I have 2 months to lose 4 mor inches so that shouldnt be to hard if I stay at it ...

so if I ever have a day like yesterday and dont want to go to the gym I will look at them shorts and I will get to the gym...Hubby said he is going to hang them on the wall in the bedroom like a picture... He truely loves me...

Hope everyone has a great week and weekend...

Sheila :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Ok, here we go.........

Dewdrop SW 134/GW 124/CW 131 1 lb. lost
    Swignal SW 317/GW 150/ CW 310 loss 5 lbs
    Stillkristi - SW 461/GW 195/CW 440/ The dreaded PLATEAU!!

Oh well - I was expecting it, from all that sneaking out to the scales. :ohwell: However, I am cured of that for a while! :laugh: So, gotta get some things done before work, so not much time to rapsodize right now. Yay, mncardiojunkie - welcome.gif

Way to go THE Team :heart: Catch you all later!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

Well, considering that I also joined the team later (CM hijacked my email and dragged me here :grumble: so now I gotta say THANKS to her once again :happy: and hope I don't fail her :blushing: ) and that the people here are cheerful, inspiring and supportive, I suggest you join in no matter what you're told :wink: . I bet, though, that you'll only get approval :glasses: .

In short: WELCOME! :flowerforyou: :happy: :wink:
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    Lulu - Haha at least it was a good book! We had to read the heart of darkness...write a midterm on it, and then watch the movie....my prof is a doll, but I am like whyyyy it is such a sh itty freaking book! Blah, but yeah it was a really good book!

Kristi - You will get there with us:smile: , and if you keep looking at the scale it will never change!! It may be not a plateau, sometimes you just do not lose a pound each week! Just try some new exercises, and see if that helps.
  • chantybear
    Options
    Yess... Welcome CardioJunkie! Oh I like your name:smile:
  • LosingIt4good
    Options

Welcome aboard CardioJunkie!!

Friday is weigh in day for this group, so if ya wanna add your stats.. feel free!

LosingIt4Good- SW 220/GW 175/CW 219/ loss 1 lb

I only dropped a pound this week... better than nuttin I guess! :laugh:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Adopt4- SW 273/GW 191/CW 251.3 - 2.2 pounds lost!!

I can-not believe it! After that 3 pound water weight gain this week, I thought I was screwed, but today the scale was my friend and I lost 2.2 pounds!! HAPPY DANCE!!! No plateau!!!

Welcome, new person, forgot your name already.. But YES jump on in!
  • LosingIt4good
    Options

I can-not believe it! After that 3 pound water weight gain this week, I thought I was screwed, but today the scale was my friend and I lost 2.2 pounds!! HAPPY DANCE!!! No plateau!!!

WOOHOO!!!!! Good for you!!!
  • lacijae
    lacijae Posts: 63
    Options
    Hola Teamies :bigsmile:

Yeah! I am so proud of myself this week for jumping back on the band wagon. I only lost 2 lbs but I knew it was going to slow down after a little while so that's ok. I've got to start doing a little better on my exercise tho, I absolutely HATE it so it's a challenge to get out and do it. I'm trying to start a Tennis group with some of my friends, but over half of them are pregnant :laugh: . Well I'll figure something out.

Welcome CardioJunkie!!

LosingIt4good - Great advice on the heart healthy diet. I think I'm going to pick up on that challenge too. My family doesn't have too bad of a history with that but it's there for sure. They do have a history of obesity, however, which definately isn't good for the heart so keeping some of those things in mind might not be a bad idea :tongue: .

:flowerforyou: Question :flowerforyou:
    ~ For all those Disney World lovers out there, I've only been once a few years ago and I'm wanting to take my daughter next year. I'm going ahead with the planning now so I can have everything ready to book early. Does anybody have a recommendation of when is the best time to go?

Just wondering!! Good Luck Everybody!!
  • lacijae
    lacijae Posts: 63
    Options
    Oh duh, and here are the stats

LaciJae - SW 199/GW 140/ CW 178 - 2 lbs :bigsmile:
  • swignal
    swignal Posts: 441
    Options

welcome cardioJunky... I am new to the team also this is my second weigh in... and the team is GREAT... and very motivational... I love them all.. :happy:

Thanks Team for welcoming us newbies.. and taking us under your wings... :flowerforyou:

Sheila
  • chantybear
    Options
    I will add my weight loss (hopefully!!) after I goto the gym later, I forced myself not to weight myself yesterday:laugh: , but I just did my measurements and it looks like they went done a bit! Yay..!
  • chantybear
    Options
    Oh yay!! I lost 3.5 inches (combined) from 2 weeks ago! (I do measurements every 2 weeks) Ohhh I am happy, my waist is almost back to what it was!
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Oh yay!! I lost 3.5 inches (combined) from 2 weeks ago! (I do measurements every 2 weeks) Ohhh I am happy, my waist is almost back to what it was!

yenta4-emoticon-0082.gif