how to sucessfully maintain a 1200 cal. diet

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I do but I don't mean to! :laugh: I am just really busy and I eat high fat/protein so I'm rarely hungry.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I usually do on most days, but when I have the munchies I do find it difficult.
    BUT if when I do eat "normally" i choose low cal meals such as oatmeal, lean chicken, fish with rice/veggies on the side. Pretty easy to stay within limits.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I set my diary to 1200 calories, but I don't weigh my food or measure portions. I'm fairly certain I net more than 1200 in a day, but I've found that setting my diary to that number helps me. Also, I eat all of my exercise calories.
  • trea16
    trea16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have done 1200 cal a day for over year and I only eat back my calories one day a week - with an average of 600 cal a day in exercise on all days but one when I do about 350.

Eating so few of calories is not easy at first, but for me it's a heck of alot easier than exercising!

I chose high fiber, low fat/carb/sodium - no sugar. I plan everything that I put in my gut, and record every bite. I don't waste calories on sweets and I pick carefully what snacks I choose to get the most nutritional value and bang for my buck, portion wise.

Buying foods that are pre-portioned works well for me, as I have a horrible food addiction which has me fighting portion control constantly! It's more expensive, but it works for me after a year so I am sticking with it!

I find that eating high fiber does help you stay full longer and therefore not tend to snack or eat bigger portions. I also try to keep my protein levels up and use lower fat nuts and veggies as snacks.

Hope I provided some tips you can use!

Ive been buying preportion foods also, to control my intake. I know they are high in soduim, but I thought that if I can learn portion control 1st... then the rest later.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have been on MRP for 30 days (today!) and have only been under my daily goal a few times. 1200 isn't very much. I HAVE to eat my exercise calories back, otherwise I am miserable.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Citation needed.

This is based on posts by Banks as well as many others, as well as research that relates to BMI and weekly weight loss goals, I use this scale as I think BMI is full of s^(t. There is also a bunch of sources that would be close to this but use BF%, but since most people don't know their real BF%, this is an easy to use and understand method that incorporates a bunch of studies into one easy to understand and use system that works with MFP due to the way it is set up for weekly weight loss goals. I would have to cite, 3-5 sources but that wouldn't give you this table, that would give you the info used to develop this table.
  • KristinLeAnn252
    KristinLeAnn252 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't have any trouble with it. It could be my strange sleeping and eating hours though lol. But yeah, anyone feel free to add me and look at my diary :) (wow, never thought I'd say that).
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. For most people that are on 1200 cals, it is not the best intake for them, most chose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive. Here is a guide for setting weekly deficits, and on top of this when you workout you should eat those calories back. So if you are on 1200 cals and burn 300, you should eat 1500 for the day.

Unless of course, your BMR is 1400 per day.

What does a BMR of 1400 have to do with it? If your BMR is 1400, you would have maintenance calories of 1680 calories, so to lose 0.5lbs/week you would set your goal to 1430 Net.

I shall stick with 1200 calories though, it works for me, which is good :flowerforyou:
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 to 1300 cals most days which is equivalent to 1000 to 1100 net cals. As you can tell, I don't exercise much. I am finding that this works for me so far and have not reached a plateau yet. I will probably have to change things round if I hit that dreaded plateau.
  • trea16
    trea16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you all leave out counting veggies or include
  • jessicak0614
    jessicak0614 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have found it difficult to get to 1200 calories a day. I feel full and am eating breakfast, lunch and dinner along with having a mid-morning snack and afternoon snack. I'm just trying to eat healthy.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I'm 5.2 and if I want to loose weight I have to stick to close to 1200 calories a day to loose 0.9 pounds per week. If I exercise, I eat back some of my calories if I am hungry. I loose about 3 pounds a month.

with only 5 lbs to go a 0.9 lb/week weight loss is too aggressive. Try switching your goal to 0.5lbs/week, this should give you about 200 more cals/day, and is a healthier goal given your ultimate goal.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

I'm 5.2 and if I want to loose weight I have to stick to close to 1200 calories a day to loose 0.9 pounds per week. If I exercise, I eat back some of my calories if I am hungry. I loose about 3 pounds a month.

with only 5 lbs to go a 0.9 lb/week weight loss is too aggressive. Try switching your goal to 0.5lbs/week, this should give you about 200 more cals/day, and is a healthier goal given your ultimate goal.

I have only 5 lbs to my first goal. I have 50 more pounds to loose. About 2 years to loose 50 pounds.
  • DEIDRE345
    Options

Finally a website where members get it! Your not supposed to try to stay at 1200 calories and workout. Just what was posted here..you should eat back the calories that you burn to lose weight
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I stick really close to 1200, though I am trying the spike day plan for a month since I've fallen into a plateau for a bit. My diary is open if anyone wants to peek. Message me with thoughts if you want.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have.

Eat as close to 100% clean as possible.
    Eat your exercise calories.
    Have a "cheat" day every once in a while where you eat at or close to your maintenence calories.
    Eat when you genuinely feel hungry even if you will go over your goal. Unless you completely binge you will likely still have a deficit.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Did it but ate back my exercise calories....or like 80% of them.

My goals are only at .5 per week now....and I have a goal of 1580 per day.....I eat those and 80% of my exercise calories and I am still losing and have not gained anything.....Except a week I was in Mexico and over the holidays but I was eatting and drinking far more!
    You need the fuel for your engine!!!!
  • GiiaSoCrazii
    GiiaSoCrazii Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was not that much but if u eat healthy foods
    Then it actually is a lot...im doing the whole small meals thrpughout the day thing
    I also dont eat after 7 which forces me to eat more in the early day. Also if u exercise u can eat more.
    Eat veggies and fruitd and soups..lean meats that are portioned to correct serving sizes.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Do you all leave out counting veggies or include

Anything that goes in your mouth should be counted....veggies or not........
  • ccmac41
    Options
    it's difficult. I usually hit 1400 a day and I'm happy to only lose 1/2 lb. a week. I usually try to burn at least 200 cal. a day walking or using my wii which gives me 1600 cal. a day.