How do you stop from snacking at night?

Options
I've gotten myself in to a bad habit of snacking at night (too many corn chips with melted cheese). What do you to not snack at night?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't. I save calories. I am a big night eater and there is no way I could stop.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't. I save calories. I am a big night eater and there is no way I could stop.

This. No reason NOT to eat at night, as long as you keep that calorie deficit.
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Drink a bunch of water.
    I snack at night a lot too. 7-eleven fruit cups are my favorite night time snack.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. Everything tastes like crap after you brush your teeth :sick:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I shop better. I'm much less likely to snack if there's nothing in the house I want.

I'm a VERY disciplined shopper. Eater? Not so much.
  • Floridaboiler
    Floridaboiler Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The brush your teeth idea is a great one.

I have to force myself to not eat. I will sometimes just start chewing gum like crazy so at least I have something going on.
  • Purse_lady
    Purse_lady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I snack on things are "free" foods like celery (no peanut butter or cream cheese), carrots, cuccumbers, etc. Or if I've allowed for some extra calories, I will eat a Slim Fast 200 calorie bar or 1-2 100 calorie snack packs.
  • piratetink
    piratetink Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    oh, good question! That's really been one of the things wrecking me - a few "treats" after everyone else goes to bed. I have found that having a cup of tea (usually decaf, herbal or flavored) and playing Words with Friends has been helping me keep my mind off of what might be in the cabinet to eat.
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    If you feel like your late night snacking is going to far there are a couple of great tricks that work pretty well for me. Might be worth giving them a try.
    1) Create a ritual for snacking. Pick a specific time at night and your favorite snack and make a habit of out it. For example between 9:30-10pm every night i have my fav snack (a bowl of cereal with fresh berries and almond milk). This method lets you snack but it gives you something to look forward to and if you take the time to prep something that's a little treat it will mean more.

2) It sounds silly but brushing your teeth will help too. If I'm bored, not hungry, and just looking to nash for something to do, I'll brush my teeth a little early. Once your mouth is all minty fresh you will be less likely to want to eat.

But if you are really hungry, by all means you should eat ^.^;
  • monty_williams
    Options
    I don't know about the corn chips, but if you like a late night snack, allocate some calories for it in your diet plan. Alot of people, myself included, like to eat something before going to bed, there's nothing wrong with that, you just have to plan for it. For a diet to be successful, you have to be able to adhere to it, so make it part of your planned food intake.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i tell myself that i am done eating and i am done... 7 pm... protein shake after workout. that's it. then i just don't go in the kitchen. i know i can't have anything so what is the point. my calories are tracked for the day and i'm done. that's it.
  • blethenam
    blethenam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    oh, good question! That's really been one of the things wrecking me - a few "treats" after everyone else goes to bed. I have found that having a cup of tea (usually decaf, herbal or flavored) and playing Words with Friends has been helping me keep my mind off of what might be in the cabinet to eat.

Yes, Words With Friends keeps me from snacking at night, too.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I drop three teaspoons of Benefiber into my water bottle at about 7 or 8pm and chug the whole thing. It's been working to fill me up nicely for the evening.
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I drink water and after I put my son to bed either go work on a wood project in the garage or put in a first person shooter on the PS3.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    flavored water and light popcorn
  • alisatomp
    alisatomp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i drink coffee and eat some crackers ..it helps a lot.
  • Teirza
    Teirza Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't keep snacks in the house. My weakness is ice cream and if it were there I'd eat it without control, though since I've used MFP and been able to see exactly what my food looks like broken down into calories, sugar, protein etc. it's easier to keep it in check. If it's not there you won't eat it. You could keep some popcorn if you are dedicated to eating at that time or eat throughout the day planning for you to have a few extra calories in the evening.

But really, don't buy the chips and cheese. Drink a glass of water. Brush your teeth. And post your food diary. I'm less likely to eat after I've posted for the world to see that I'm done eating.
  • LisaMom2Lucas
    Options
    I have to have something to eat at night.. we eat early with the kids, around 5:30-6:00PM and I'm up until 11 or 12 most nights, I've tried not eating but I cannot go to bed hungry, I just can't fall asleep.

So like the other posters, I just plan for something. I try to allocate around 200-300 calories, if I eat less, that's great, but again, I know I HAVE to eat at night so I'd rather have extra calories, than use up all of my calories during the day and still eat something at night KWIM?

The one thing I have changed with my nightly snack is instead of junk that I used to eat (chips, sweets, etc) I'll try to have a mini meal, a mini bagel with light cream cheese, a bowl of cereal with skim milk, toast w/ a little pb and low sugar jelly, string cheese and ham roll ups, some fruit, etc.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    night eating is the worse as after u eat u either sit on the coach or go to bed n what do you think happens to all the calories n carbs???

why do you have chips in the house anyway??? have healthy foods instead so if u do get "cravings" n u bindge its on almonds, apples, healthy foods with protein or good macros!

other good solution is.. GO TO SLEEP EARLIER! lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've always been a night eater. I often eat half my daily calories after 9:00 p.m. (I eat late dinners). I have a desk job so I just don't need many calories during the day.