How do you stop from snacking at night?

Options

Replies

• dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like to drink hot herbal tea. Mint or fruit flavored. Both help me alot. I also drink water and I try to go to bed within 3-4 hours after eating dinner so that I don't start to feel to hungry.

If I start snacking at night after supper I wouldn't stop so I don't.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    go to sleep.:indifferent:
  • TLC84
    TLC84 Posts: 8
    Options
    I heard it is best if you eat veggies if you feel like you need a snack
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth right when I'm done eating. It totally keeps me from going back, just having that minty taste in my mouth. And I drink lots of water before bed. If my tummy is full of water, nothing else will fit in it :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I keep busy...I take my dogs for a walk, I jump on my bike for a few mins... and most importantly, I drink lots of water.
    Sometimes our body confuses hunger with thirst. When we think we are hungry we are sometimes actually dehydrated.

I read an article that said that our thirst mechanism is so weak so half the time we don't even realize we are thirsty. And by the time we think we are thirsty we are already very dehydrated...

Have you ever sat there and went: "I can't believe I'm hungry! I just ate!"
    Well, in fact you probably aren't hungry, your body needs and wants water...you are thirsty!

So try drinking some water to curb your 'hunger' or cravings at night. I am sure it will cut down your snacking.

Actually here is a link that might help:

http://www.pureandhealthy.com/blog/2010/08/hungry-you-could-be-confusing-it-for-thirst/
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more satisfying dinners. Honestly. More food/more FILLING foods at dinnertime will keep you fuller all evening. Also, don't keep your trigger foods in the house. I suppose it helps that I eat dinner pretty late, around 7:30 (after working out).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    night eating is the worse as after u eat u either sit on the coach or go to bed n what do you think happens to all the calories n carbs???

I think they get digested and are used to fuel and nourish my body.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If I am logging out and not hitting the bed anytime soon, I log in every possible thing I would want to have. Preferably, a coffee. And once I log in and sign out, I make it a point to not eat/drink ANYTHING!

I am even logging hot toddy's these days as I have a soar throat.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I save calories for some popcorn at night.
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    night eating is the worse as after u eat u either sit on the coach or go to bed n what do you think happens to all the calories n carbs???

why do you have chips in the house anyway??? have healthy foods instead so if u do get "cravings" n u bindge its on almonds, apples, healthy foods with protein or good macros!

other good solution is.. GO TO SLEEP EARLIER! lol
  • pegjs
    pegjs Posts: 1
    Options
    Tea has saved me from going over my calories at night! If I'm really hungry, I'll have some fruit or veggies or popcorn. If I'm really feeling that craving coming on (you know, the site down on the couch with a bag of chips craving) I go do something else - clean, make food for the next day, steam my clothes, anything to get your mind off of it.
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    what are good macros?
  • ewenick
    Options
    There's just no way I could stop myself from snacking at night, so I don't even try. Instead, I save up my calories (still eat 3 meals, but don't do any snacking during the day) so that I can have 3 things EVERY night - An apple or pear, a serving of baby carrots and celery with fat-free vinaigrette as my dip (only 15 calories and delicious), and then my big treat - 6 TBS (unpopped) popcorn made in a microwave popper (no oil) and then sprayed with 0-calories butter spray. Those three things not only take a lot of time to eat, but they also combined only account for about 350 Calories total (240 for the popcorn, 80 for the fruit, and 30 for the carrots).

:happy:

Hope that helps!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm usually too busy to eat. I'm either folding laundry, doing homework, doing dishes, taking a shower or something else that keeps me occupied.
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner around 7PM and then around 10PM I have a Dannon Lite Yogurt. 80 calories. Tastes as good as ice cream! Make sure you plan your day for whatever snack you want to have or get on that treadmill to earn it! :)))
  • pwillini84
    Options
    I keep almonds, celery and carrots handy for those late night munchies. Another good trick is individually wrapped Win-to-green Lifesavers, 4 are only 60 calories. They put a fresh taste in your mouth and one or two may just be enough of a boost to your sagging energy.

I've found since cutting out the late night eating my GURD issues have disappeared, so if my body says I still need a little bit of energy to get me through the evening, I'll have something. But I've also found that sometimes it's nothing more than the simple act of eating that I'm craving, then 10 baby carrots does just wonders!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Everyones metabolism is different and I've always heard to stop eating after 7 at night, but I have a bowl of fresh fruit and cottage cheese just about every night around ten o'clock and I'm fine. But I save calories for it.
  • LorilynnBriggs
    Options
    That is also one of my main problems. I usually do not sleep well, and my husband works nights. I used to find myself sometimes getting up at 11:30 or later and searching for something, anything to snack on. I have discovered Atkins bars and they help alot. I save some calories from my day to allow me at least 200 calories. I also found that as an ice cream lover, if you freeze the whipped yogurt, it satisfies that desire. And only 100 calories. Another tip a friend gave me is to take a tsp. of dill pickle juice. It kills cravings. Not sure why, but it does seem to help. lol
  • cjb8900
    cjb8900 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I usually go to bed. Even if it is only 7PM!
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    I drink water throughout the day, and on anight I have a pint of pepsi max, it has no calories, no fat, no carbs, no sugar but it leaves you feeling a little bloated? i drink this and it doesnt make me feel hungry.