How do you stop from snacking at night?

Options

Replies

• Ann_72
    Ann_72 Posts: 13
    Options
    I've gotten myself in to a bad habit of snacking at night (too many corn chips with melted cheese). What do you to not snack at night?

I usually sleep at night. I get incredibly grumpy if I don't. If you are still hungry at that time, maybe you haven't eaten enough, or you haven't eaten enough of what you need to eat?
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I allow enough remaining calories to make a banana shake with crushed ice. It does the trick and it gives you that full feeling. I may try blueberries one of these evening. I use 1 cup skim milk and one small bananan with a little sweet n low and vanilla extract. It's really yummy and filling
  • Zaffy01
    Zaffy01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite night time snacks is cut up apple wedges with a spoon full of peanut butter on the side... if I feel like getting fancy I sometimes sprinkle just a little bit of cinnamon over the apple. Yum yum yum!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I simply do not keep snack foods in the house. I only buy stuff to make meals with so if I really need to eat I will cook. Otherwise, if I'm in a snacky mood I am usually too lazy to cook anything. It sucks sometimes, but really helps me.
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    I drink green tea, or an herbal tea. It may not be munchie like, but it fills me up enough to keep me from craving food.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth. Everything tastes like crap after you brush your teeth :sick:

LOL That's awesome and SO true! Great idea!

I snack at night too but I don't buy a lot of things to snack on and what I do buy I make sure fits into my plan. Also, the fact that my diary is public to my friends really motivates me to be better.

Good luck!
  • mommybird1
    Options

yes.. what she said!!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I shop better. I'm much less likely to snack if there's nothing in the house I want.

I'm a VERY disciplined shopper. Eater? Not so much.

This. If it's in the fridge, it's on my hips. So only fresh veggies, low fat cheese sticks, yogurt, and bottled water are in there. If I buy chocolate, I eat it all in one night.
  • kelnort
    kelnort Posts: 17
    Options
    replace corn chips and melted cheese for fruits and veggies. they are freebies. the more the better. good luck!!
    :)
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i tell myself that i am done eating and i am done... 7 pm... protein shake after workout. that's it. then i just don't go in the kitchen. i know i can't have anything so what is the point. my calories are tracked for the day and i'm done. that's it.

That is awesome discipline. I wish I could be so strict with my food intake.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I snack on things are "free" foods like celery (no peanut butter or cream cheese), carrots, cuccumbers, etc. Or if I've allowed for some extra calories, I will eat a Slim Fast 200 calorie bar or 1-2 100 calorie snack packs.

Great idea on the "free" foods....
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options

haha, me too! After my snacks, that is! :wink:
  • niklynne
    Options
    First I drink water to make sure I am not eating out of boredom or just old habit. But, usually it is just that "something sweet" that I want after dinner.

I have started drinking a green tea latte for a "snack". I knew I was craving something sweet... so I make the (chai) green tea and add some vanilla almond milk (unsweetened) and a bit of sugar-free vanilla syrup for about 50 calories. Green tea boost metabolism too, it is a win/win for me! If I have calories left to burn I grab some frozen cashews. The frozen ones take on this velvety/ decadent texture. But pay attention to portions!
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

yes.. what she said!!

Great idea.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I close the kitchen at least 2 hours before I'm going to bed. Before doing that, I fill up a big cup with water so I'm set for hydration.

Then I brush my teeth once I've closed the kitchen.
  • Myhighway2
    Options
    I tell myself kitchens closed!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I usually have one thing (usually a vitatop) at night, usually 7pm or so. Then I take a shower and brush my teeth right after.. I can't stand eating after Ive brushed my teeth.. I usually occupy myself by getting my kids clothes together for the next day to keep my mind off food.
  • sasbw27
    sasbw27 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I have a snack like a nestle cow or weight watchers ice cream between 100 to 150 cals and I log on to mfp and look at some of the success stories!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Another tip a friend gave me is to take a tsp. of dill pickle juice. It kills cravings. Not sure why, but it does seem to help. lol

:sick: :sick:
    LOL
  • newlaura30
    Options
    all the ideas on here are great. the last few nigts when i can't sleep or am sitting on the couch i'll come on here. if my hands are busy typing i can't be eating... so expect lots of evening rambling from me:laugh: :smile: