From wheelchair to running...65lbs lost and 47lbs to go...(P

Options

Replies

• megwifey
    Options
    you rock joy, seriously. you've come so far, i'm so proud of you!
  • joyzy
    joyzy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much!!! I'm overwhelmed with your responses.

Thanks for the encouragement.

:-)
    Joy
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Inspirational story! Shows that when you give it your all and never give up you can do it!
  • WolffRN
    WolffRN Posts: 48
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!!! Amazing!!!
  • momuv3princesses
    momuv3princesses Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! Congratulations and good luck on the rest of your journey!!
  • MarileeP
    MarileeP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Congratulations on your weight loss success! So many people in your situation would have used it as an excuse and would have wallowed in self-pity, but you used it to propel you to a healthy lifestyle. I think it is amazing that you went from being partially paralyzed to exercising regularly and losing the weight you've needed to lose. Again, my hat's off to you, girl for your awesome accomplishments!

This! I couldn't say it any better. You are an inspiration!
  • prairie123
    Options
    What an amazing story! A standing ovation from here :)
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Amazing perseverance, amazing recovery, and amazing figure!! So happy for your success and thanks for sharing your story.

(I started mfp in August 2011 too!)
  • Wifey31
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I had the same situation in 2003. I had a severely ruptured disk that caused spinal cord injury and temporary paralysis. They diagnosed me with Cauda Equina Syndrome. I too had to go through the walker and cane stage. I am now trying to lose weight hoping that I will recover more strength in my legs and I know that working out is key. At times, I have though that I am stuck and for awhile I had just kind of accepted that this is my new life and that I would never get back to how I used to be. Reading your story of success has given me just the push I need to keep going to get to the best "me" that I can be. Thank you!
  • nickymaddiemiasmami
    Options
    You look FANTASTIC! Great job! :drinker: :smile:
  • cepark137
    Options
    AMAZING!!!

I am so hopeful for such success!! Way to go, you should be so proud of yourself!!
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    What a wonderful story! You look 15 years younger now! :)
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Incredible! I love hearing success stories! They make me feel happy inside :)
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Wow what a change! Congratulations!
  • ErikaLin
    Options
    Absolutely incredible!!!!!!! I love hearing stories like yours! Hard work is definitely rewarded. I feel like your healing is a miracle at its finest. Praise God!
  • yusanni
    yusanni Posts: 20
    Options
    you look beautiful!
    i'm inspired by you!
  • catcufflings
    Options
    In June 2011 I sustained a spinal cord injury, due to a severely herniated disc, that left me temporarily paralyzed fro the waist down. I spent the month of June living in the hospital learning to walk again as I very slowly regained sensation in my legs and feet. The doctor said I had a few risk factors that contributed to this injury, namely genetics (a few other close relatives have had the disc issues too,) as well as being significantly overweight.

I was discharged from the hospital at the end of June, still using a walker, and did physical therapy in my home for another 2 months.

This is the day before I left the hospital:

262lbs
    20110624_002.jpg

20110624_001.jpg

In August 2011, after 2 months of basically sitting sedentary in my house, I was released from PT, with instructions from the surgeon to "lose weight" to prevent this kind of injury from occurring again. Still using the cane, I started walking outside. The first day I walked around my block. 0.25 miles and it took me 25 minutes. I joined MFP that next day and started tracking calories. I started walking every single day. Each day I'd go a little farther and walk a little faster.

In September 2011 I joined the local YMCA and took to the treadmill, bike, and elliptical machine. I go every single day. For about an hour or more each day.

This is me in September, about 255lbs, size 24 dress
    20110903.jpg

As of today, here are my stats

165 days since I started exercising.
    I've traveled 858 miles. (walk, run, bike, elliptical)
    187 hours of exercise.
    65 lbs lost. (I'm 197 now)
    47 left to go. (Goal is 150. I'm 5'8")

Here's a picture from today!
    197lbs, size 16 jeans
    20120124.jpg

wow that is definitely one of the most inspiring stories i've read on here :)

thank you for sharing!
  • ringochase1
    ringochase1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What an amazing and inspiring journey you are on. Congrats and keep it up!
  • Noof91
    Noof91 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    wow u look great
    n i am really happy for you
    you are such an inspiration for a lazy girl like me
  • AmandaRue
    Options
    YOU DONT EVEN LOOK LIKE THE SAME PERSON!!!! CONGRATS... THIS IS SO INSPIRING.. :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!