You burnt how many calories?!

Options

Replies

• FoodFamilyFitness
    FoodFamilyFitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic !

I have a related question:

Do you agree that since many here routinely "eat" their exercise calories, they should only "eat" the excess calories they burn, not the total calories burned?

For example: If I burn 100 calories per hour, just by sitting down, then if I exercise for an hour and the HRM registers 300 calories burned, that means I only burned 200 calories more than regular.
    So I should only be allowed to "eat " 200 more calories, not the 300

Opinions?

don't over think things. this is weight loss, not rocket surgery. no need to be so precise.

Agree!!! When you get too technical, you'll burn yourself out.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    I use the machine's estimates. I think I should invest in an HRM...

But yeah, you can TOTALLY burn 3000 calories an hour... if you're Wally West! =P
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    So grege, I just went to that site and put in calisthenics, vigerous and came back with about 700 as opposed to my HRM which said 825... so that is pretty close considering...

Also, there was no entry for insanity and if you have ever done the workout, you would know it is a little... umm... INSANE so thanks for the site... it is pretty accurate, and will come in hand for those times I am out and about and do not have my HRM...
  • FoodFamilyFitness
    FoodFamilyFitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is a concern of mine. I just started on this site about a week ago, and have never counted calorie input/output in my life. I think I'm doing ok with calorie input as I'm measuring and checking everything, but as far what I'm burning I'm really not sure, and atm just going off of what MFP estimates. I want an as accurate as possible reading so I'm really anxious to get a heart rate monitor asap.

I love the Polar HRM, I bought mine last year and on Amazon it was under $100. Well worth it!
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree.... I really don't think I burnt a whole day's worth of calories during a cardio class.... but I think the MFP's calculator is very approximate. I log all my exercises, because I'm really trying hard to use the MFP log as a very critical food/exercise diary.... so I log my exercise as accurately as possible.

I also don't like how it logs various exercises into one thing, so it could look like you did 2 hours of calisthenics... when the 2 hours was actualy a combination of several things. I REALLY take my exercise calorie calculator with a grain of salt, because I don't eat the calories I burn... so I don't focus on it too much. But it is annoying when people are like "OMG you burnt WHAT?!" , lol... so after it's posted, I usually comment on it immediately to explain what I actually did....
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    . I see where some folks report 700 cals burned for 60 min of cleaning.

I need to get those people to clean at my house!

LOVE.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    interesting!
    I will check out that calculator and article.
    I had also read somewhere a while ago that the number of calories you burn on a elliptical, you should divide it by 2 and that will give you the exact amount of calories you burnt during the work out compared to a treadmill that burns just about the amount it tells you on the machine.

I just got home from the gym. Just used my new HRM. i did 50 minutes on the elliptical. Machine said i did 560, the HRM says 332.... maybe this divide by two is true for the elliptical. :)

I've never read this before, and I hope to the gods it's not true because in 20 minutes of be busting my *kitten* on the elliptical I only burn 100 calories according to the machine... Which is already just half of what MFP says I do. I'd hate to think that I'm only burning 50 calories in 20 minutes.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Someone on my feed listed cooking as an activity and exerted in the neighborhood of 200 calories for doing itfor 90 minutes. Really? Be serious.
  • MumOfGirlsOnly
    MumOfGirlsOnly Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM all day (if I put it down somewhere I can guarantee one of my kids or DH would lose it) and I only track my actual work outs. I have found with some things MFP is only a few calories different to my HRM and others 100+ cal difference.
    I log what my HRM says.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's thoughts on the best monitor to wear? And do you wear it all day or just during times of exercise? Just wondering. I just joined this site 2 weeks ago, so I am still kind of new to all the gadgets you can get. Thanks!

I only wear mine if I'm "working out" doing something I wouldn't normally do. I think that's the key - don't count cleaning your house - you do that on a regular basis, that's in your normal scope of life. But I love putting that HRM on before I turn on Jillian Michaels to see my burn. Thus far I seem fairly consistent - roughly 100 cals/10 minutes. I burn around 230 for 30 Day Shred, 320 for Ripped in 30, and around 400 for Extreme Shed and Shred.
  • ivansmomma
    Options
    Excellent topic !

Do you agree that since many here routinely "eat" their exercise calories, they should only "eat" the excess calories they burn, not the total calories burned?

For example: If I burn 100 calories per hour, just by sitting down, then if I exercise for an hour and the HRM registers 300 calories burned, that means I only burned 200 calories more than regular.

Opinions?

don't over think things. this is weight loss, not rocket surgery. no need to be so precise.

He is really correct. I was told this when I first started on here by one of the 'thread monitors'. I really don't use all of my calories from exercise, but stay within 1300-1600 calories. I figure as long as I'm eating healthy, and getting exercise, no matter what it may be, that's what's important.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it. I eat most of my exercise calories back because you should. Usually leave 50-100 left just so there is room for error. My HRM is accurate as far as I'm concerned!! I'm glad I finally invested in one best $100 I spent on myself :)
  • Misdy
    Misdy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use the machine calculated figure which I understand might be a little enthusiastic. That being said though I tend to overestimate calories and don't log extra activities during the day which wouldn't fall under my sedentary BMR setting. I do workout hard and push myself big time so I think personally it all works out in the end. I like the sound of these polar HRM's though, it's going on my wishlist :)
  • ashjonnatp
    Options
    Hello- I never really eat my work out calories but i typically always go by what the machines say. I always put in my weight and age before i start my work outs. today i burned 745 calories 5mil on bike run 3miles with incline at 2 33 mins and eliptical 15 minutes.... all together i burned 745 calories i find that pretty accurate i did over a hr of cardio...... BUT i try not to eat my work out calories for the simple fact of not knowing accuracy.... what is this HRM??? It peaks my interest! = ) HAPPY WEIGHT LOSS EVERYONE
  • violindarb
    Options
    What brand of HRM do people think are best?
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic !

Opinions?

I know that removing 100 calories per hour from dieter's "eat" budget is not a popular topic to discuss.
    But it is appropriate/related to this question on burnt calories.

By the way, it would not really be a burden to calculate, no rocket science involved ! :-)
    To the calories burned, it is a simple subtraction of 100 calories (adjusted per individual) per hour.

Disclaimer: Note that I don't actually eat my exercise calories, or for that matter exercise that much ! :-)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Someone on my feed listed cooking as an activity and exerted in the neighborhood of 200 calories for doing itfor 90 minutes. Really? Be serious.

Try cooking for large groups for 90 minutes and see if you bust out a sweat. It's hard work. You're constantly moving and hauling things around. I've done it a few times, and after 5-6 hours of being on your feet prepping food, trust me, it's exhausting.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I totally agree...today I burned around 1200 calories based off what the machines told me, but I only put in 1090, I did this in 90 minutes and that was very hard running on the arc trainer and elliptical. I definitely think people WAY over estimate their exercise..and you see things like "burned 200 calories doing 45 minutes of cleaning"....I don't think you should log that, that's just general everyday stuff. Under estimating your caloric intake and over estimating your usage is a sure way to fail.

I have to agree with the house cleaning calories.....I clean a 3500 sq ft house every week and when I log it (4 hrs) it says I burn like 900+ cals. Yes the whole down stairs is all hard flooring so I do alot of mopping and sweeping and I do have to walk up staires 3 or 4 times while I am there but I really do not think I burn 900 cals. I still log this but now I cut the time I log in half and I do not worry about eating back any of those cals. Needless to say my Fridays look like I work out more than I eat. The only reason I do log it is because I know I am doing just as much as if I went to a 30-40 min walk I am sure.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Try cooking for large groups for 90 minutes and see if you bust out a sweat. It's hard work. You're constantly moving and hauling things around. I've done it a few times, and after 5-6 hours of being on your feet prepping food, trust me, it's exhausting.

That is true. We have a party at our house every Dec and this year there were about 50 adults and about 20 kids. Yeah I was sweating and heart racing when I was down to the wire of spending the whole day cleaning and cooking and preping food.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    MFP really overestimates some things. I rarely burn over 1k cals a day. Today happened to be one of those days. I burnt 1062 cals today doing the elliptical and 30 day shred (90 mins total). I weigh 203 lbs. I rely heavily on the gym equipment's estimate and my HRM. If I am without those, I use fatburn.com for a realistic estimate. Some of this is common sense and the only person they're hurting is themselves.