You burnt how many calories?!

Options

Replies

• RBRoy
    RBRoy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor that calculates my calories burned. It's a great investment... only cost about $50/$60 from ****s Sporting Goods. The watch is a brand called Sportline. Well worth it! It motivates me to work harder when I see the calories burned while I'm working out... LOVE IT!

Good luck!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    It's total BS.
    Those numbers are way out of line, and it won't be long before the ones recording such numbers come back crying the blues about how they're doing everything they're supposed to do but can't get results.:sad:

I recall somebody wanting to argue that point once, and instead of admitting they were wrong, they just deactivated their account.
    I WISH I could burn that much in 90 minutes.
    I workout 2 hours a day, and for 2 whole hours, I burn about 1000 calories.

What is total BS? And someone deactived their account over this? I am sure it had to do with people who thought they were right being complete a**h*les to them. Thats how alot of people are. I feel bad that they would deactivate their account over a disscusion, and I an sure it had to do with more than them being wrong.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RBRoy
    RBRoy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why it * out the store name... it wasn't a word used improperly. However, you can also buy the watch online. Google Sportline watches.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    One time my boyfriend who is 270lbs was on the elliptical with me. He went the same speed and incline for the same amount of time and seriously burned double I do.

I average almost 100 calories in 10 minutes... he had 200. That would equate to 1200 calories in an hour. Totally not fair, but fact.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    It's total BS.
    Those numbers are way out of line, and it won't be long before the ones recording such numbers come back crying the blues about how they're doing everything they're supposed to do but can't get results.:sad:

I recall somebody wanting to argue that point once, and instead of admitting they were wrong, they just deactivated their account.
    I WISH I could burn that much in 90 minutes.
    I workout 2 hours a day, and for 2 whole hours, I burn about 1000 calories.

What is total BS? And someone deactived their account over this? I am sure it had to do with people who thought they were right being complete a**h*les to them. Thats how alot of people are. I feel bad that they would deactivate their account over a disscusion, and I an sure it had to do with more than them being wrong.

:drinker:
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    I'm not sure why it * out the store name... it wasn't a word used improperly. However, you can also buy the watch online. Google Sportline watches.

It censors it out no matter how you use it, even hickory ****ory dock. use a ! instead of an i.
  • Angelhurt
    Options
    i only log 'cleaning' becuase we literally spend 3-4hours properly cleaning every corner of the house...but i only record it as 'light cleaning' even though i vacum and scrub and am up and down step ladders..so it is an estimate

it is hard because nothing can be exact..although hrm are the best...but i can't afford one yet..so till then!

also i do kettlebells for 60 and thats burns just over 1000cals..and i didn't find that in mfp so no excuse for that...as the same for zumba...i used outside registered sites for that and it must be right because i lose 1/2lb in 2/3 days after 7hours of cleaning and 60mins kettlbell...but i stick to my goal and don't 'eat back my calories'...thats rubbish..its just making excuses to eat more (although i won't shoot myself for going over a little bit if im burning it all offf)

i agree with not logging each little thing though...i think you'd end up not enjoying anything!!
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic !

I have a related question:

Do you agree that since many here routinely "eat" their exercise calories, they should only "eat" the excess calories they burn, not the total calories burned?

For example: If I burn 100 calories per hour, just by sitting down, then if I exercise for an hour and the HRM registers 300 calories burned, that means I only burned 200 calories more than regular.
    So I should only be allowed to "eat " 200 more calories, not the 300

Opinions?

I heartily agree! You need to subtract your regular calories burnt from your exercise calories when you use a HRM.
  • phatsoslim
    phatsoslim Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM for all my workouts. So my calorie burn is pretty accurate. Sometimes when I log them into MFP, they are only off by 1 -10 calories for some workouts.

I recommend to spend the money on a heart rate monitor if you are serious about losing weight. It might seem like a lot of money in the beginning, but your body will thank you in the end.

My HRM is a Suunto M4. Check out www.suunto.com for the right one for you.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    1. HRM - second only to healthier food as the best investment in helping me loose weight.

2. If you are certain you are recording the correct calories for your food and exercise then you should eat back your exercise cals, if not then only eat back a portion. If you set up your MFP account correctly then your calorie deficit to loose what you want is already factored in. Don't include the fact that you are exercising in the queston about your lifestyle/job (sedentary, active). If you have a desk job but work out every day, you still would be considered sedentary. Just being aware of how much I was eating and how little exercise I was getting has been very important to me.

3.Polar is probably most everyone's choice for best HRM.

4.I only record calories for cleaning, mowing, etc if I think I am going to be cutting it close on calories and then only stuff that are not part of my daily routine.

Just my 2 pennies.
  • dianesmart
    dianesmart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I never use the MFP estimate either! Good post!
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Now I'm paranoid about my calories. I enter what is on my ellipical machine, but it also has the heart rate monitor onit and I consitantly use it throughout my workout in hopes it gives a more accurate reading. So far I am showing results so hopefully I'm good!
  • ghettosmurf999
    ghettosmurf999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic !

I have a related question:

Do you agree that since many here routinely "eat" their exercise calories, they should only "eat" the excess calories they burn, not the total calories burned?

For example: If I burn 100 calories per hour, just by sitting down, then if I exercise for an hour and the HRM registers 300 calories burned, that means I only burned 200 calories more than regular.
    So I should only be allowed to "eat " 200 more calories, not the 300

Opinions?

I heartily agree! You need to subtract your regular calories burnt from your exercise calories when you use a HRM.

I think it depends - I use a HRM for training, and by boosting your metabolism by exercising you're going to keep burning calories at a faster rate for some period after you've stopped training - which would be over and above your base rate calculated by MFP, so in my opinion, I'd keep with what the HRM says you've burnt you'd be ok to say was over and above your base daily rate.

If that makes sense :S
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My findings:
    50 minutes - stationary bike - moderate

According to MFP = 460 calories.
    According to my bike = 440 calories
    According to Polar = 452 calories.
  • Melimoo2012
    Melimoo2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    good point .
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    movement is movement. i'm not saying that everything on here is 110% perfect but man, some people got to start somewhere. and if you are seriously overweight and don't get up for most of the week i betcha housework is a biotch.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    And this is why I never bother worrying about calorie burn during exercise or net calories...It just gives people one more thing to obsess over, get wrong or confuse themselves with.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity. And no, that doesn't mean I am simple ;)

Yes simple is best. Every decision I make regarding fitness or diet is based on the answer to the question, "Can I do this for the rest of my life?". But that is because I have already figured out how my body works. Knowing the small details can be helpful in learning about yourself.

Oh I agree. Detail certainly has it's place but only once you have a solid foundation in place in my opinion. If you build your house on rock it will stand strong what ever wind may batter it but if you build it on shifting sand it will fall...
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am going to get an HRM; however, I do feel better about what I have been logging. I entered my daily stationary bike exercise in all of calculators provided in this thread and they match MFP and my bike calculation within 30 calories. Not saying that MFP doesn't overestimate sometimes, but it looks like my exercise is spot on. It hasn't been real important as I have not been eating my exercise calories; however, after losing 40 pounds, I am on a month long plateau. It may be time to start eating some back and see if that helps!
  • tammy1005
    Options
    I use apps for my running and for my treadmill but my elliptical i'm lost. I did 60min and it said I burned 205 calories! Clearly this is very off. Mfp said it was 526 calories which seems to be more accurate. Anyone else use and elliptical that can let me know if this seems right?